• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Cant play it loud because everyone is still asleep!!! Carlos thanks for the Chicken Bone Saloon update!!!bob t

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

The one time I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan was at this short-lived outdoor festival in Saint Paul. Either beer was sold in bottles or someone sneaked some in (might have been the former, which is why the festival only made it a few years--that, and the fact that the site was under water every other year from flooding . . . ), but SRV got really pissed (rightfully) when during one song a few bottles winged their way up onto the stage. He came up to the mic after the song and said, "I'm not normally a violent person, but if anyone sees someone throw something up here, beat the shit out of him!" I don't remember any more bottles, but as a small, timid high-schooler, I remember it being a rougher crowd.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I don’t know about anyone else, but I basically get 3 thrills from purchasing music online.
#1-clicking the “complete purchase” button
#3-listening to the damn thing(the best!!)
#2-waiting for the purchase to arrive. I don’t want to get too crude here, but when you’re really, really close, and then you back off, sometimes it takes a minute to get back up to that peak of excitement. Well, when my purchase is long overdue, it strips away a little of the excitement. Of course, luckily when it finally arrives, I’m usually overjoyed. I hope everybody gets their discs for weekend enjoyment. For our friends in Europe, I hope by next weekend, you’ll be overjoyed as well.
Stay healthy, stay safe. Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Giants stadium 1993. Faith No More & Metallica had already opened for them. G'NR took over an hour to come on stage which landed them there at about 10:45 p.m. what was the first time I'd seen them and I was hard-core into their music at that time. A little more than an hour into it I suppose, Axl left the stage the bank continued the song without him. After this song Duff McKagan said that someone threw a lighter up at the stage and hit Axl in the balls. He lectured us about how uncool cool that was. I don't think I Axl ever came back out, or if it did it was for a one song Encore to say good night. This was one of those notorious shows that ended up getting written about in Life Magazine at the end of the year. I wasn't even into Faith No More or Metallica. Just wanted to see GNR with my buddies. He was a real dick back in the day. Nobody remembers seeing anything getting thrown up on stage. Who knows what happened. Bottom line is we saw about half the concert and this is a big Stadium show where they were playing 2 and 1/2 hour gigs. And the way it just suddenly a wound down to nothing within 15 minutes was leaving people scratching their heads wondering what the fuck just happened.

They did make up for it at the Garden last year. No fighting, great performance, almost exhaustingly long show, but for all the gin and tonics that kept me fueled. I cracked the whip 'cause that bitch is just insane.......

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Made me look up Bob Dylan and status of new album. Started listening to odd picks from Bob. Played Mr Tambourine Man. Love that song. LOVE. The song, but the line full of joy for me is - Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free.

Anyway, great drifting to sleep song. Got me thinking are there enough songs about going to sleep to make an album. (like train albums I used to make filled with all train songs).

Short list I thought of (almost) off top of head.

Mr Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan)
Comatose (In the Arms of Slumber) (Eagle-Eye Cherry)
Lullaby (cure)
A Pillow of Winds (Pink Floyd)
All I Have to Do is Dream (Everly Brothers)
And Dream of Sheep (Kate Bush)
Enter Sandman (Metallica)
40 Winks Away (Neil Sedaka)
In Dreams (Roy Orbison)
I Woke Up in Love This Morning (partridge family)

I'm sure there's more.

In any event, that Eagle-Eye Cherry album (Desireless) is great. The double entendre song "Shooting Up In Vain".

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Deadheadbrewer - Interesting story about SRV. Despite fixing the problem, I assume he got a big cheer for the annoucement? I mean, a balloon every now and then is one thing, but people throwing bottles? Not cool...be more like Unkle Sam!

Keithfan: I remember hearing that about Axl Rose! Around that time, I was sitting around with my buddies and I ligthly tossed one of them a lighter. Well, it must have been smokey or something, because he didn't catch it and it hit him right in the jewels. He was in pain, but that didn't stop the rest of us fom getting a good laugh about it. I've yet to see that happen again...but ever since then, all of guards went up just a little bit more.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Worship it, love it, or merely enjoy it, that concert is a touchstone, and continues to be a defining date in Dead history.

I spent $75 on bootleg CDs of the concert at a record show in 1991 or so. I had hoped to use my copy as an entry into the "Tapers' Circle," but it didn't happen. My Dead friends and I sure enjoyed listening slack-jawed to those discs, though!

Mustin, yes, there was a grand cheer, and no more bottles.

It got ridiculous in the punk era in 1977. During the last half of 1976, punk gigs in Manchester were really good. Very different from the gigs of the previous 3 or 4 years-short sets, very high energy 3 or 4 bands a night. A lot of bands became really well known, too, - The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Damned, Buzzcocks etc.
Then the media got hold of it and a "look" and attitude developed-short spiky hair, aggressive, anti every thing behaviour. A sort of uniform developed. It went from being music for people who didn't fit in ( like me) to people who wanted to conform to the "new thing". I would think the same thing happened in the 60s during the hippie era. Anyway it got to be the thing to shower the stage with beer, and spit when a band was playing. Exit Daverock.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

suppose to be anyway. Cleansing palate for the Miami show:
Harry Nilsson Nilsson Schmilsson
David Lindley El Rayo X
Chris Spedding Guitar Graffiti
Todd Rundgren Wizard A True Star>Todd
Nils Lofgren Cry Tough
Iron Butterfly Metamorphosis
Captain Beyond Sufficiently Breathless
Besides the Dead, there were some good acts in the 70's

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I love when I'm listening to a show and the 2nd set goes...Half Step> Playin'> China Doll> Woman Smarter> Drumz> The Wheel> GDTRFB> Playin'> Black Muddy River> Sugar Mag {~};}

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I don't post often but I do follow the threads when I can (yup, I'm a lurker). I also had trouble with the delivery of DaP 34. Stuck with that awful tracking message of "package received, acceptance pending". But, the story ends well with the delivery very late yesterday, so there is hope. Hang in there folks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hartwerger

Rhetorical question I know, but Member when you bought something online and usually there would be different shipping choices YOU could choose: UPS, FedEx, USPS or what ever. Yes there could be additional charges incurred, but so what, because that was a choice YOU were making. So just think now during these new uncertain times if YOU had that option?
Personally, since we can’t get home delivery where we live, I know I’d gladly pay extra for UPS to ship directly.
Think about it, everyone (here at least) has to go to Shity Market, and the PO if no where else...so basically ground zero in our community. So it’s become a real conflicting mental cognitive dissonance...(like we don’t have enough of that already!)... Psyched and craving the new music that awaits there vs risking your life to go into ground zero, wait in line, in the small lobby, and receive it....
Well, be safe and hope everyone can enjoy this great new music soon!

Edit: 87 Hampton etc. can’t recall for sure, but think it was just douchbags like Jim said....like when idiots used to light off live fireworks in the small arenas. People used to get pissed: it’s not cool to be THAT high and your antenni all dialed in to super high frequency sensitivity and some drunk dipshit lobs a M80 30 feet away, “NOT COOL KYLE, NOT COOL!”

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Glad to hear some of you are getting your late deliveries. Give's me a bit of hope.

I contacted my local Post Office yesterday and got a personal call back today (which I have to say I was impressed by). However, they show no record of ever having received the package from UPS Mail Innovations despite the tracking showing the May 1 date (not coincidentally, I think, the official release date). Contacted UPS today and their help system doesn't support Mail Innovations, so I can do nothing but wait...

I guess there's just a big lag between when the tracking number was handed off and the package itself being transferred. The time's we're living in I suppose.

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Nobody. But I am now. This whole concert is so good so perfect so worthy of a rewind is even the crystal clear and well-executed closing Casey Jones. This whole release has been nothing but sheer pleasure. I can't remember the last time I had a good time like this. Maybe the first time I had two chicks at the same time. And the Uncle John's Band, is it the best ever. As much as I enjoyed the Pacific Northwest box set even if you just count the 1974 shows for the sake of keeping the score apples to apples, is there a better show in that set than these 4 discs I hold in my hands? I say no. And Keith fan I say must knows you interest on the ticket for almost half of a Guns N Roses show!

user picture

Member for

7 years

I attended this one. It was hot as hell.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

My USPS tracking information stated that the package had been "accepted" on 5/1 and the delivery estimate was also 5/1. No delivery and the same status showed until 5/7 when the status changed to "received" and the delivery date was changed to 5/8. Lo and behold, it arrived safe and sound. If you're seeing something similar in your tracking info, it might be right around the corner.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by MadDoc

Funny af

Also...Metallica before GNR?

imho....whats wrong with this picture?

And oroborous....NOT COOL, KYLE! NOT COOL! Laughing well on that :)))

You can hear some m80s (i think) on 5 10 80

And
Stuff thrown
3 31 86 no encore due to bottle thrown

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Yup. Was at that show. Somebody tossed a bottle at Billy, so no encore.

A weird show. Short and odd songs. Road Runner, Hand Jive and Comes a Time.

We hit a lot of Providence shows during college. Always fun as long as you stayed in proximity to the Civic Center. It could be a tough town on the outskirts back then.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Embarrassing but unfortunately true..

I have one Casey Jones story. Maybe it's worthy.

First the show:
06/26/84
Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD
Set 1:
Casey Jones
Feel Like A Stranger
Althea
Cassidy
Tennessee Jed
Looks Like Rain
Might As Well
Set 2:
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Man Smart-Woman Smarter
He's Gone
Drums
Don't Need Love
Truckin'
Wang Dang Doodle
Stella Blue
Around And Around
Good Lovin'
Encore:
Day Job

Keep in mind.. I used to walk to the Merriweather shows from my parents house, even after I quit living there.

So this is the only post hiatus show where they opened up with KC Jones. This was the fourth show of the Summer 84 East Coast Tour, starting in Toronto, then City Island, Harrisburg PA, then SPAC, then Merriweather. So think 1984 and the first city up the Route 95 Corridor when all the Colombian Coke was flowing freely from Bermuda to Miami then to NY and Boston and route 95 was essentially paved with cocaine. So they open with KCJones and it was a rocker.

Back to my embarrassing story.. I think I was a Freshman in College or perhaps the summer before that.. but looked just like my older brother but taller, so getting beer wasn't a problem so long (well I might have had his old ID). So I think I had tickets within the first five or six rows by waiting in line at the Hect Company (the local outlet, wait overnight and you were almost guaranteed great seats).. but they had five rows in front of the first row that were really impossible to get.. probably promoter and band tickets. So getting to the embarrassing parts.. I was young and dumb.. I think there was more involved than beer and a little weed (probably some mushrooms or back in 84, maybe the real thing).. so there was a moment when no one was looking my buddy and I pounced and made the move from the first couple rows to the first five.. and before you knew it we were front row (which was sold out) and horribly smashed (we were not the only aholes with the same selfish plan..

Yes.. I was that asshole that night.. the dude that made everyone else that paid for their tickets horribly squished. ..and I am so sorry for this. I am not the same person now and I would never do that now.

So I tried my best to blend in, but I am 6'4 and had a full, freshie 16 oz beer and this guy says to me and ... "is that a cold beer?" Yes I replied.. "If you share that beer I'll share my coke" Ok I said.. and a minute or two later they opened with Casey Jones.. and it was a rockin' version. I do recall I got a very small spoon, just one, two at the most, and felt nothing from it.. but hey.. that's my one and only coke story for which I am horribly embarrassed for.

Keep 6' of distance, kids.. go to school.. drink in moderation, and for gods sake don't ever do coke or meth or H.

But man that Casey Jones was epic.. it's baked into the tapes. The band came on there was no mistake on why they opened with it, the only time since 10/74. Because they were drivin' that train.. right off the 95 highway and it as 1984 after all.

true story.. I guess there goes my run for Senate.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I thought Spring 85 Providence was hot. No good boards seem to exist.. Another Angry Jack Straw and as a bonus a great She Belongs to Me.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

85 Providence.

I can’t recall exactly, but I believe that was the show where all 12 of us hopped in Smitty’s dad’s old beat up station wagon. We drove down from Boston, cases of beer in tow and dosed early. As fate would have it, we get stuck in rush hour traffic on the highway as we begin to peak. At the same time Smitty’s accelerator stops working. We can’t move. Cars are honking. Smitty is losing his mind. We all have to piss bad. He start’s screaming. “I need a paperclip!” Jerome calmly says, “I have one.” We all lose it, based on the fact that nobody carries around a paperclip, much less asks for one. The car empties so we can piss on the side off the road as Smitty performs the repairs. Car horns blaring.

We finally get moving and park under a big pineapple. As we unload, the back tailgate falls completely of the car. Right on the ground. An indignant Smitty starts swearing, picks it up and puts it back in place. He hits the button and the window goes right up. We all lose it again.

Meet back at the pineapple! Those were the instructions. Everyone scatters.

At 4:00 am we found Jerome walking the streets of downtown Providence. Window shopping. He had dosed again. We made it back to Boston at dawn. As best I can remember, there were six of us. I could not begin to tell you what they played.

Providence was always fun in its own kinda way. Some good memories. Some not so good. But, that two hour car ride was one of the funniest of all time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....ended with 6. Good odds when dosing.
Lol. Hey James in Maryland!
Question though. I assume Smitty used the paper clip to jump a current.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Stumbled across this, I'm big fan of "time capsule" photos, and this site doesn't disappoint. If you want to kill a few minutes, you won't be disappointed....enjoy, and stay healthy all.

Psst...forgot to mention, there's a photo of Ken Kesey on top of the bus "Further" circa 1965ish buried in there......

https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

We lost a lot of good men out there.

Providence is a weird town. Lots of old time Italian guys. We got towed in 87. What a bullshit scam. They towed everybody. There must’ve been 50 people in line at the police station looking to use the pay phone. All are frustrated and can’t get their cars. The tow truck drivers wanted cash. No exceptions and nobody had it. We finally get our chance. We saw what was happening.

Yup. We have cash. The driver shows up and demands the money on site. We don’t have it. Take us to an ATM. He refuses. We start to get out. Now he is stuck. Either take us or he loses.

He relents. On the way to the ATM, we see our old college buddy, Ed. Hanging on a stop sign in a bad neighborhood. We beg the guy to stop to pick him up. He keeps driving.

I guess we are even.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I motion that we Knight JiminMD and now refer to him as Sir James. He is that good of a guy and deserves the recognition.

Huzzah!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Per the advice of counsel. I have no comment.

Too funny. 1984 was a wildcard. There were no rules so long as you didn't get caught.

My how times have changed.

Coke fueled GD. Love it or hate it.. but seriously check out the opener at a out 5 min in it seems to establish itself.

https://archive.org/details/gd1984-06-26.sbd.miller.87511.sbeok.flac16/…

While you're at it check out the first set from 4/4/85 Providence.
again the Miller seems to be it. The Jack Straw and She Belongs to me are off the hook. Don't expect perfection.. this is raw, coke fueled Grateful Dead but it's special nonetheless.

https://archive.org/details/gd1985-04-04.149449.sbd.miller.clugston.fla…

Hope I haven't wasted anyone's time with 80's hyperbole.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I was indeed at that Providence show. Confirmed from my wife’s recent discovery of the long lost show list.

The very show I described in my last post. So much fun.

Sadly, I must admit that the fall Rochester 85 She Belongs to Me was far superior.

I still cry when I hear it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I will have to check out the Rochester SBTM. That one might be new to me.

Nobody did Dylan like Jerry. Miss it dearly.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Muddy Waters drank champagne when he was thirsty and smoked a reefer when he wanted to get high. But he didn't mess with no cocaine.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Always liked this show a little more than the night before... The Help>Slipknot>Franklins, Comes A Time, Music Never Stopped... etc etc... i love how Keith sounds on this whole show!!! Happy anniversary Buffalo!! Hope all pending 34's arrive today!! bob t

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Status
Label Created, not yet in system
A status update is not yet available on your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon.

Sign up for Informed Delivery® to receive notifications for packages addressed to you.

Label Created, not yet in system

user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Was getting legit worries this might be the first one I didn't get due to the shipping issues.

But it finally arrived after what felt like ages with no shipping/tracking updates, happily.

Looking forward to give it a spin tonight :)

Like Little Richard-a total blast. I have just been listening to my old (comparatively) 1980s comp on Ace Records, "His Greatest Recordings" and that original version of Keep A Knockin' still sounds like one of the most demented records ever made.
Great clips of him in the film "The Girl Can't Help It." The first 5 minutes of the film are definitive-where a middle aged Tom Ewell starts pontificating on the new music, and is drowned out by a Little Richard record and gets surrounded by kids jiving. There is also a great shot of him miming to one of his records in a very white middle class looking night club. The crowd are politely clapping along and tapping their feet-and Little Richard just goes nuts. Must be on youtube.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Wow, crystal clear sound. Only on first disk. Thanks dead.net. cardboard box is much better.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Good to hear!!! I am on my 3rd listen!! bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years

This Dap *ucking kicks ass. The first disk rocks and that row Jimmy, let it rock,and cumberland makes me feel like I'm at the old keg parties we used to have. Also the pics. from doc are sweet.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Ah, the good old bad days! Lol. Too funny, reminds me of Hartford 83.
So this guy Tim we know works with his grandfather at his repo business. The shows rapidity approach and none of us losers has a safe enough car to make the trip. (Hell some of us still didn’t have a car yet at all). So Tim some how says we can use this giant Chrysler New Yorker that’s been repoed from some third rate Bills player. Of course being young, dumb and desperate (hey, the dead will make you do stupid things sometimes) we never consider legal ramifications of using a repossessed vehicle for our own insidious highly illegal adventures, ahem, but I digress.
So here we are cruising in style across the NYS Thruway thinking how cool we are, and how if we don’t push it, no cops are going to shadow this luxurious grandpa car, and the day is going well except were running a tab behind schedule, not late, just behind schedule. We even find a big roach in the ashtray that we of course spark right up, hey why not, our luck is through the roof so roll with it right? Well by the time we get to like Albany the cars acting weird? It’s running but eventually it won’t get out of second gear (auto transmission). So things are starting to get weird and not in a good way. Increasingly, my old buddy your moving much to slow indeed! Of course all five of us are let’s say not in the best of condition to be dealing with such problems etc. So we just soldier on: “hey, if we can just make it there, we’ll deal with it later”....
Now in those days we were anal about trying to drop exactly an hour before they started playing, which meant guessing when that would actually be, 14 minutes late, 20, ? certainly never saw em start early, maybe on time, but never early..So we know we’re going to be cutting it close getting there, especially cause we hit traffic in this giant turtle etc., so after much deliberation finally decide to drop. First time I believe doing red sweethearts my all time favorite; “made with only the finest ingreadients” and our source was getting it like week old fresh etc. Very clean and enjoyable.
Finally we’re almost there, but late and more traffic and freaking out as things are already getting too interesting, but we’re not sure where to go or park, and forget about finding a hotel now, so we end up just pulling into the venue/mall?...some structure just to get there NOW!
Well ended up getting in and gettin off just in time, like a perfectly coreagraphed water ballet! and having one of my best shows ever, even better than St Steve’s the next night. But of course the show must end so now here we are, 5 hopelessly stoned teenagers, with no clue, little money, and a probably illegal car that barely moves. Well some brave bastard decides he’ll try to drive us to get a motel. So off we go but can’t find anything, and freaking out as the car won’t do more than about 30-35 and now we’re on the interstate and just like that basically in the country and no relief in sight. So what to do? ....back to the dirt lot near the venue where Tim sleeps in the large front seat, I get back seat due to? Senority maybe? So that leaves Opium, Burnout and Druggles out in the cold. Not sure where 2 ended up but I know my cousin opium joe ended up sleeping in the bushes of some downtown office building. Mere steps from morning foot traffic and no one the wiser! His accommodations must have agreed with him because he stayed there again in 87 lol, while we hung in the park all night.
Well luckily nobody/cops etc messed with us that night or we’d of been totally fucked. Next day we eventually find transmission place: “sorry, completely booked etc” and we have like zero extra money, and it’s a repossessed car for fugs sake. But we get him to at least take a look. Says “some kind of seal/leak just keep putting in transmission fluid and you might make it home”.
At this point we say screw the motel etc we’ll just leave after the show and crawl through the night and hope we don’t lure some board ass trooper trolling for idiots like us.
Well turns out the second night is a real Bobbie Dazzler too, complete with second St Stephen since 79 etc, and though I don’t recall much of the long/slow ride home we obviously made it and nothing happened. Did find out later that it was something stupid with the car and if any of us dumb ass children had a clue we wouldn’t have had to go through all that, but hey, sometimes the shows that had the most adversity turned out to be the best. Like the gods were testing us, or making us earn it?

Little Rich: May the four winds blow you safely home” thanks for all you did!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

An enjoyable time this afternoon with the second set. Dark Star Jam goes much deeper and further than I was expecting. Dark Star *lite* it is not! High point of the listen was Jerry searing the heck out of Spanish Jam. Killer. Made me think of the Donna quote about how GD is not benign. Out of curiosity I threw in DaP #2 7/31/74 for comparison. In context, of course (Truckin’>MLBJ>Spanish Jam). But I suppose you really can’t place Spanish Jams side by side because each is always going to be unique to their particular placement.

As to the Bonus Disc, Playing is a great addition to the collection. For the rest, they sound a bit out of sync with one another. Very unlike the 23rd.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Did you get you Dap? If not I'll put the speakers in the windows facing out and crank it so you can hear it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Thanks for the Girl Can't Help It clip. Shame its not available in America, its got some great sequences of Julie London, Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran, too.
This clip you posted has been changed by whoever compiled it, incidentally. This title song plays out in the introduction, and Little Richard performs Ready Teddy and She's Got it during the night club scene with Tom Ewell and Jayne Mansfield. I think the compiler was more interested in Jayne Mansfield than Little Richard !

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by daverock

I would be more interested in Jayne Mansfield

But a respect to you, LR

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html