• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

The German band Faust played a very short show in the mid 1970s. When they started they were all sat round the stage, some watching television, one guy was playing a fruit machine, and the only music being played was a very slow drum solo. There was large concrete block at the front of the stage. After a while, someone came on wearing a mask, and attacked the concrete block with a chainsaw. Wood was splintering off the front of the stage and going into the front row of the audience. Then the electricity was turned off, and some middle aged suited custodian of the theatre appeared and announced that the concert was over, as it wasn't music, and the stage was being vandalised. A member of Faust took the microphone and hurled a lot of abuse at all and sundry-"f..k this! Are you just going to sit there and be told what to listen to?! "
    On entering the hall, the audience had all been given little teddy bears by members of the previous groups family, Gong, and people started throwing these teddy bears on the stage. It was a strange night. I can remember a fight broke out in the audience, and I wasn't sure if it was part of the performance or not
    They are still going, Faust, too. Another band I was going to see - last Friday in London. You literally never know what is going to happen when you see Faust.

• nappyrags

Just ran across a poster earlier today of an August '69 run of three shows at The Family Dog that had Albert playing on the bill with the Grateful Dead...wow...I saw him for the first time about five weeks earlier at the Newport Festival at Devonshire Downs...amazing...Mr Collins indeed...at the Newport gig he had 70,000 people in the palm of his hands, especially when he did "Conversation with Collins" and made his guitar talk...

• JimInMD

How do I know?

Because there's a second set Cumberland.

• Vguy72

....I know this because I'm smart.

• proudfoot

:)))

• proudfoot

Vote.

• Vguy72

Holly Bowling - Alone Together Vol 1
    Blue Oyster Cult - The Symbol Remains. Twice. Back 2 Back
    Van Halen - Women and Children First
    GOGD - Beacon Theatre 6.14.76
    Stay safe my friends, and VOTE. VOTE like your lives depend on it. Because it really does.

• mhammond12

Saw him many times at the Belly Up. He had a 100 foot guitar cord and would walk around the club and play solos in your face. One time he took us all out on the street and played a solo into a phone in a phone booth and then pointed his guitar like a machine gun at passing cars. Fun stuff.

• Vguy72

....saw UB40 a couple of years ago. 1 hour 15 minutes later, the house lights came on. What they played was great, but I felt I little ripped off.
    Tragic shows? Mark Sandman of Morphine died on stage. I wasn't there, and couldn't imagine being fan if any band and witnessing something like that.

• daverock

I saw The Deviants final performance at The Borderline in London in 2013. Mick Farren, the singer, looked seriously ill before he went on stage, and when he did, he had some weird kind of oxygen mask on his face to help him breathe. He was perched on a stool, and clearly had obvious problems breathing. After about three songs, he fell off the stool, and lay on the stage flat on his back. It didn't look good. Eventually we were all ushered outside and an ambulance arrived to take him to hospital. He apparently died soon after. Everyone said afterwards that it was the way he would have wanted to go. He was 69.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

....during sporting events is getting pretty common, thanks to one cool dude behind the curtain calling shots.
Thursday Night Football is his/hers specialty. Its usually better than the game itself!
My ears usually perk up.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

TLEO77
If you don’t have a subscription then DaP #36 will be available for pre-order from the date and time shown in the subject line above. Presumably that’s when we’ll see a chat from Dave. This was announced in an email sent on October 1st.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

10/10 is primo in my opinion! Excellent performance from the whole band. The Setlist is very grateful/ A+ 5 stars for this old DeadHead!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Good morning Heads! Thank you for your response and directing me to information about the upcoming release. Somehow I missed that announcement! Probably inadvertently deleted it when going through my inbox quickly deleting “breaking news” emails, I accidentally deleted the VERY important “breaking news” from dead.net! Ha! :))))) thanks for keeping me focused on the truly important breaking news! Enjoy the day!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

#1. 7/13/76 or 10/20/78. #2. Two shows from 1969, hopefully one is 10/31/69. #3. 10/9/82 or 7/13/85. # 4 5/26/73. I'll also throw 2/17/79 & 4/22/79 somewhere in the mix.

so

My guesses for Daves in 2021

5/25/74
7/13 and 14/85
2/9/73
7/18/72
4/22/79
9/6/80
9/10/83
2/17/79

My WANTS for Daves
6/9/73 and 6/10/73 twofer
6/10/73 singleton
2/17/79
2/9/73

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Just a hunch.. Proudfoot is still avoiding work. :D I can respect that.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

My guess/wants

#37 - 5/26/73 - It's got the high profile for a first pick of the year. Great Show. Betty Board. I loved that tape back in the 90s

#38 - Two shows from 69. Would two nights from the Ark fit on four discs? Seems like it would.

That would be an awesome 1-2 for me.

Other wants:
- A Shokedown Street. 36 shows and no Shakedown in Dave's Picks....
- Gainesville - Also fixes above.
- A 69 show - Spring of 69 would be ideal. Two shows even better.
- A 1991 show. There are so many good ones. Pick one for us Dave.
- 3/9/81 - Long time favorite from the 80s.
- Universal City 73. For me Summer and Fall 73 are where it's at. The spring 73 shows are good, but not at the same level IMHO.

2020 has been a banner year on Dave's picks for me. Massive first two shows from 77 and 74. I love the 84 show, had not heard it before. Looking forward to the double 87. Pretty sure I heard the first one on cassette many years ago.

Hope you all are hanging in there. Play it Loud!!

Hot Tuna - Phosphorescent Rat on the home system this evening. Cheers Heads!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by estimating prof

Please, no more chainsaw edited setlists.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by Sydney Prentice

My guesses are always way off so I’ll just post my wants:

4/8/71
4/22/69 (with parts of 4/23 as the bonus)
10/10/82
10/19/72

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

This was the last of the 1980 fifteen show Warfield run, and the longest shows I've seen along with 12/31/78. Great Tennessee -> Let it Grow -> Wheel -> Music Never Stopped to close the first set.
The champagne toast was unexpected and perfectly executed; for each row of seats, the ushers passed plastic cups and a big container of champagne, and within less than two minutes everybody's cup was filled and we got to toast the very surprised band. Kudos to Bill Graham for pulling this (illegal) stunt.

Yes Jim in MD, I am avoiding work at the moment (sending a bunch of Microsoft Teams links is...not like listening to the GD).

10/14/80: worthy of release. Cousins cites the end of the first set...just look at that!

Gainesville: rub it good

still listening (when able in the car) to 9/10/83 on cassette. The China Rider is played _almost_ too fast, but who cares.

Onward to my responsibilities, and saving the world, one student at a time.

Y'all be cool, Deadland.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Until Dave officially announces the skinny on DaP 36. I can only hope it hits the mail soon!

Off topic, I see a new album released by a band/collective called “Mrs Piss”. A catchy name, for sure, but didn’t any of the guys in A & R pull the ladies in Mrs Piss aside and tell them this might be a tough sell in the Walmarts and Targets...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html