• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

7 years

The box arrived in perfect condition. The book is HUGE!!! The book alone must have cost a few clams. If it had feet it would be a coffee table book. The box itself is bigger then I thought. Great work rhino and dead.net. 1987 disks sound incredible and 91' sounds almost hard to believe it was almost 30 years ago. 91' has to be set lower on the volume knob it's so beautiful. It's so good you want to cry.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Box #5606 has arrived safe and sound in Northern Utah...everything seems to be in order. Book looks awesome!!...can't wait to dive in!

Nope. Was fired up on Friday morning when I got the email for download. Emailed customer service on Friday. We are going on Tuesday with no response. This is crap.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

I found some stashed out back behind the rusted remains of Kesey's thunder machine. We heard about a gang from Moldova (the Marx Brothers 'Hood) posing as Amish encyclopedia salesmen working the area. A sharp-eyed IHOP waitress across the street we have on our payroll reported something suspicious going down, and the local gendarmes arrived before the thugs absconded with the goods.

Bottom line: they're back in stock. Order now!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Has anyone ever received the last number of the release??? Did anyone get 10,000/10,000 of a release... or 20,000/20,000 of a Dave's Picks?? Bob t

user picture

Member for

4 years 7 months

Welp, mine arrived damaged. No damage to the shipping box itself but there is a slice down the top of the spiral book as well as a torn CD booklet for one of the shows, a pin sized indentation on the actual box, annnd another deep scratch on the box. How it happened is beyond me...I reached out to customer service Friday via email and have yet to hear back from them. Inspect your boxes folks!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Box arrived today and looks pretty cool, won't have a chance to start listening until tomorrow afternoon, but I am stoked. I did have a chance to flip through the book, the pictures really took me right back.

On another note, I would suggest we immediately start crowdfunding some funds to get the IHOP waitress on our payroll as well.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

You guys sound like you're having so much fun. Oh well another day. My June 17th 1991 show will be here before I know right.

What I really came here to babble about : Playing in the Band, Winterland 10/9/72. I love the Veneta Playing in as much as the next Dead Head. And 11/18/72. But ever since the release of that Dave's Picks Berkeley show (which also had a rip-roaring Playing in the Band), I've been really getting into this song 2nd half 72. I'm hearing a lot of them that are up there with Veneta. I'm also thinking they,re better than the E72 performances.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Safe and sound in Saint Paul, Minnesota . . . (technically the town of Roseville . . . )

Went straight to 6/17/91. Good gawd, the SOUND!!!!

Sweet. Just sweet.

....can't help but smile. I have a new appreciation for Mondays.
Mrs. Vguy even came out an twirled for a minute. She likes that song and it pulled her out of the bedroom. Lol.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

The downloads were supposed to arrive on Friday. Instead of receiving the link to the 192/24 download of the entire box that I ordered, I was sent a link for 44/16 files of 7/9/89 only. I notified customer service on Friday, but have not heard back. Urgh.

Heard from customer service on Tuesday. I'm supposed to get a link to the right files within three business days.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by baxlap

I'm a big fan of the Box Sets.

Take a look at the two best, FW69 and E72 (three best, I guess you can add Boxzilla). In all cases they offered skinny boxes.. which are really, really good and a good representation of the tours. But the fun is in the deep dive. After all, the GD never played the same show twice and after a few listens we tend to move on for variety. Boxes keep my attention for months/years.

Anyway.. my two cents. Haven't had the chance to rip let alone listen to this one yet.. Honestly, I am still enjoying last years box. Some of the China Riders in particular keep gaining nuance and admiration and I have not met a full Weather Report Suite I did not like.

Bolo has never steered us wrong yet, right? or has he???

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

... also dove in last evening for a bit upon receipt of this bad boy box.
As already mentioned, '91 is AMAZING.
I popped the Bluray in and turned it up to '11'.....that Eyes opener...Man oh man. And I've heard it a thousand times; but this is definitely definitely the definitive listen. Definitely Wapner.

It just looks and sounds SO DAMN GOOD.

And on the ride in today I tossed in the 7/9/89 show with that killer Shakedown opener. They mean business! And the follow up Jack Straw moves. Jerry is ripping it up. Looking forward to the forthcoming audio digestion along with everyone else.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

10 years 6 months

The status of my order on the site is still processing and says it hasn't shipped. No emails. UPS My Choice is completely blank. An yet #7507 arrived safe and sound yesterday in Denver. Turned my frown upside down.

user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

I pre-ordered on 8/2 (Digital 24 bit). Was sent on one show in wrong format on 9/20. Contact help on 9/21...No response. Spoke to customer service today..They have "Escalated" my case.

This is unacceptable. Get your shit together.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Should be on the front step when I get home. Now just need to dodge the porch pirates and the boxcutter blues.

user picture

Member for

4 years 7 months

Ok why would you guys format it so you cant put in in your itunes as one album for each show? Its all wrong,set one disk 1 and set 2 disk 3 but disk 2 is all by it self? really bad,and frustrating as hell.I buy all the box sets anmd this one has the worst editing ever !!! I spent alot on this and I expect it to be done right . Get it together guys

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'll have mine this evening. So excited about this one.

Between my time of seeing the Dead live, from '84 through the end in '95, I've often said here that the period between '87 and '91 was magic. The band was on a late career peak, thanks to their newfound successes and the rapid evolution of technology that gave them a new lease to explore not only new music, but also the old classics. '89 saw them back to stretching out and flexing their improvisational muscle.

Over the years as more of these releases come out, and from virtually every corner of their career, I only find myself wanting to here more..more....MORE. I think I'll absorb this set chronologically, though the video will be hard not to put right in right away.

My pre-review is.....counting the hours this afternoon until this is physically in my hands and that '87 show ready to bounce air molecules into my eardrums at a healthy volume. Gosh, haven't dosed since the '90s. Kind of want to for the vid.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Dear Dead.net Customer,

We have been advised that there have been issues with the delivery of the Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991 Digital files.

Our digital team is currently fixing this issue and will redeliver your files within the next 3 business days.

You will receive an email from Dead.net with further instructions on how to download your updated files.

Upon completion, you will have the correct number of shows that you ordered, at the correct bit rate.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Dead.net Customer Service

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Just saw the news on the Rolling Stone website about Robert Hunter. Another good man gone. RIP

Fuck! RIP Hunter!! So sad to see this. Rest in peace and thanks for all you left us with. It would not have happened with you.

"In a bed, in a bed, by the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul."

As for adding to ITunes, I have to agree on that one.. but I don't think Rhino this one is Rhino's fault.

I am not sure how it works.. but if you are absolutely first to get a Box or CD or whatever.. and go to put it into iTunes, the metadata is essentially blank. In that case, you have to manually type all this stuff in. ..and the next person seems to get what those who came before them entered.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rhino adds metadata to wherever the data repository is all the Metadata that tags songs and CDs when you Rip it.

Yes, Giant pain in the ass (sorry for the pun).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

I received Giants stadium yesterday.

Not long after 7-12-87, I picked up an audience tape of this show that was probably the poorest sounding tape I owned. Not only did it sound like it was coming from an old hand held transistor radio from the 60s but throughout the tape I could hear two guys bitching about the traffic problem getting there and how they planned on leaving. Even with these major tape issues, the music sounded great and it was played often in my car. That cassette is now lost to history.

As I said earlier, when the box arrived yesterday I immediately put on 7-12. WOW!!! The sound, the performance is so wonderful. This show alone was worth the price of admission. They really were brilliant that summer of '87 and this recording is proof positive. I wasn't at this show but I saw them earlier that week in Pittsburgh. The Neville Bros. sat in at the beginning of the second set and with The Banana Boat song>Iko> Women Are Smarter just about blew the top off of the igloo they were playing in. One of those musical moments one never forgets. I'm hoping that one day this show will be released for all to enjoy.

Anyway, thanks Dave, Jeffery and everybody else that puts these labor of loves together every year for us fans. I am very appreciative for what you all must go through to put these beautiful boxes together.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Well I guess that's three. Didn't think it would be hitting so close to home though. After Ocasek, I was having a water cooler talk with a guy at work, and we were lamenting how our rock heroes of the 60s and 70s are at ages when we might be seeing this with more and more frequency.

If anyone has a favorite lyric from Robert, I would love to know what resonated with everyone. I always liked this one from Uncle John's Band, particularly when Phil can be heard singing harmony (Ladies and Gentlemen is a good example):

"Like the morning sun you come,
and like the wind you go."

Jimbo that's another great one. Brokedown Palace is probably my favorite downtempo song.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Black muddy river
Roll on forever

Passed through on the autumn equinox

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

May the four winds blow you safely home!
Our condolences to his peeps, and all the Dead extended family etc.
Truly a huge loss....Arguably one of THE greatest word smiths of all time!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I am just seeing this terrible news now boys, from your posts. And corroborated elsewhere just to be sure it's all real.

So very sad about Robert Hunter. Holy cow. Wow.
Sad.

At least he and Jer are together again, collaborating once more, on the sweetest tune ever. For ever.

RIP.

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

A Lovely View of heaven but I'd rather be with you.

Today I lost a very good friend that I never had the chance to meet.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I think that one is impossible. Like every line is a usable line for something in life. How many different times in your life have you thrown out a Hunter line as the answer to a question or a situation? I believe you could write a short story with just lines from the Hunter catalog.

Lines I use quite often ….

The bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean.

Though I could caution all, I still might warn a few.

Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own (ok maybe my fave)

First one says she's got my child, but it don't look like me

Steal your face right off your head

You know better but I know him

you decide if was wise

It's a buck dancers choice my friend

Lotta poor man got to walk the line, just to pay his union dues.

Thanks for the lines Bob.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

This is TOTALLY true:

I thought about RH and about his potential passing yesterday. It just came to me, completely out of the blue.

Now today I hear he has departed.

and what is playing on my computer?

"I will fly away" Hank Williams

I will fly oh glory
I will fly away in the mornin'
when I die hallelujah by and by
I will fly away

WOW.

Blessings beyond count to you, RH.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

RIP

:_(((

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Without Robert, there would have been no Grateful Dead. As lovely as those melodies are, and as intoxicating as those rhythms can be, those tunes would not be endlessly endearing without the lyrics of the master poet. We can listen to a Garcia song a million times because of the infinity of Hunter's words.

A few years back, I began a poem to send to Robert on his birthday, in order to let him hear how Grateful I am for his contributions to my favorite music. I never worked up the nerve to send it on ANY of his subsequent birthdays. Dang.

Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passing by . . .

Robert Hunter, you are amazing.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Seeing this today finally made me find out what the hell Buck Dancing is.

https://www.ncpedia.org/buck-dancing

You learn something new every day.. so very cool. It's amazing what you learn from the GD.. visited my folks this weekend and watched an hour of the Country Music documentary from Ken Burns with my dad. I knew almost every song from what I learned listening to the Grateful Dead (and Jerry Garcia). It got then point where I was thinking to myself, is there a song from this set the GD have not covered? It must have been the mid 50's to mid 60's part.

We're never too old to learn.

Again, RIP RH. May the four winds blow you safely home indeed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own...........
.......that's all I can say at this time.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

There's nothing you can hold for very long.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Robert Hunter. We love you more than words can tell.

Jerry. Bob. Pig. Phil. Billy. Mickey. TC. Keith. Donna. Brent. Vince. Hornsby. Those were the players (& Dana Morgan).

But Hunter & Barlow are/were just as integral to the band. And now they are both gone.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

Inspiration. Move me brightly. Light the song with sense and color. Hold away despair.
My entire day is now on hold. So many poignant lyrics. It's like he knew all of us in one way or another. Godspeed Bob Hunter. Say hi to Jerry, Pig, Brent, Keith, John Perry and Vince for us 😭.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Don't mourn the inevitable, celebrate the life and the gifts bestowed through the lyrics.

Currently on disc 2 of 7/12/87 from this box and it is excellent on every level, an excellent show, a phenomenal recording. It sounds as good or better than that of the Spring 1990 TOO box, which is saying a lot. Cool when there is an official release of a show that you attended.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Bad things keep happening to me this month, but this one really hurts. I live by your words Robert, and now that you are gone, there will be a tear in my eye everytime I hear them, which is every day. Via con dios by friend.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Tonight, standing beside the bronze of "Jerry's Hand" in Jerry Garcia Grove at the Santa Barbara Bowl, I will raise a glass to our poet. The Steely Dan show that follows will be bittersweet.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

When I heard the news, I quickly grabbed the new box, looking for something to play. And I chose the 1989 Bird Song.

You said that my "777" on the box was lucky. I sure was lucky to have found Robert's words and this band. Or did they find ME . . . ?

Lots of tears today, but trying to dry my eyes on the wind . . .

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html