• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

7 years

It's still spinning from 3 days ago. Gotta love it.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I can't believe I missed this gem which I attended. It was there all along. Is nightfall of diamonds limited? I put in my e-mail for the next stock. Thanks. P.S. Giants box blu-ray keeps popping up stocked. Strange.

user picture

Member for

7 years

It's nice to see new posters. I hope you hang for a while. Peace.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

One of my personal favorite releases. All drums>space with some awesome names made up by Hunter. Back in the 90's that was the get off cd that we would put on to get off on shrooms. After that cd, anything else played had to be just as good, hard to top. Fun times

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I work in a record store all day. Between two days at work and home I've been through it 3x. Saw them a half dozen times between '87 and '94 and enjoyed them all. For this box set, the two 1991 shows are just exactly perfect. I love these keyboards!! I read somewhere, and fan though I am of music, I am no musician, that Bruce's style was more conducive to bringing out Jerry's more creative and exlorative side, while Brent's brought out the rock. It's all wonderful, but I think I've been so exposed to so much '89 / '90 with Brent that the 1991 shows sound fresher to me. And the 6/17/91 show has a big big set list, so that doesn't hurt when it comes to ranking them. I think 7/7/89 (Philly) would have given 6/17/91 a run for its money if it had been in this box!

All who ordered the FLAC downloads, they were originally advertised as 24/192 Flac files and were originally delivered as 16/44. Tonight I received the email saying the new downloads were ready. The new order says 24/96 not 24/192. When I extracted the files they were in fact 24/96 not 24/192 as originally purchased. I just looked at the order page again, and now they are offering 24/96 not 24/192.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

That's great mld, I reduced it down to the lowest common denominator. 24/192 = 1/8 (one eighth) and 24/96 = 1/4 (one quarter), so it looks like you came out ahead (a quarter oz of weed is double an eighth). Congrats.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Dark-Star

Ha! Evidence of a misspent youth.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Anybody have an error message of "Decompression Failed" with a digital download on a Mac? I know the MacOS comes with a built in utility to expand zip files. Maybe my computer knows that I really ordered the FLAC 192/24 version and now it's mysteriously not available.

user picture

Member for

4 years 7 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

In an earlier post you said you had gone blind ( |9/8/2019| "Asince ive lost my sight , my other senses are on overdrive!"), and in your most recent post you said you have seen the newest Dave's Picks 32 concept art, ( | 09/21/2019 | "I have been fortunate enough to view an art proof /concept for the cover forDaves Pick #32It’s my favorite cover for the series for this past years My favorite was Daves Pick #31 until I saw this proof sheet" "The art proof I sawhad no date or concert venue..."). I'm not trying to be the bad guy here but i've been hearing these contradicting quotes from you and am not sure what to make of it. I have a relative that is blind and it just rubs me the wrong way when I suspect people might be faking blindness for whatever reason.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

I’m still waiting on an email to confirm new links.

Are they just on the original order page and are they 5 files or 1? Just thinking if it’s worth my trying my old download link again

user picture

Member for

8 years

A Good morning to all my brothers & sister still awake from the night before or just waking up around this hour.While I’m being treated going on my second week for another round of treatments, tests,and several operations since day one , I realize now thats causing the confusion in between my tecemts posts.what I haven’t been doing is and that is I’m not keeping everyone(members) on this board up to date. I’ve only been communicating with only a handful of close friends here on the Dead site, and I apologize for any confusion. I just didn’t think it would be appreciate to. Keep filling up the pages posts up on my daily treatment for my cancer. I have a tumor in my brain the size of a golf ball,2-3cm big, which is very large and it wasn’t there a year ago when the doctors took scanned of my brain. And the tumor is pressing against my skull and brain effecting my optyic neve things all big science talk I’m not really educated enough to explain everything what’s happening in only laymen’s terms if you get my grift. I had surgery to drain the pression in my skull brain. I had a spinal tap on last Friday as well, which also causes the brain to swell while they drain the fluid from my spinal fluid which the doctor places the needle into what look like little sacks rrunning thru your spinal cord. Because I’ve had mutitable back surgeries / I have two 8” rods in my back with a cage. Screws. And fusion as well over 12”. Since the. First round of draining has effected improvement in my vision, I’m not completely blind as of right now. But according to the doctors, (I have a team of doctors All working together to improve my quality way of life) My vision is still considered “legally blind” but I can see a little and my perspective is off. I’m an artist and I just now been doing art therapy while being in treatment. One day at a time for me right now and I’m really just so grateful to be alive, words can’t express my graditude enough! I have three young children I’m raising, I have a whole life that has been recently turned upside down. Last week they also told be they found another tumor on one of my glands above your Brest bone and inbetween York’s chin and throat the size of a grape tomato that wasn’t there a year ago as well so I’m prepping for surgery to have the tumor and gland removed. The doctors assure me I can live and survive with out the gland which actually works and operate your immune system , almost like MS - multiple scoliosis . IV been screened for that with the spinal tap and also the doctors will scfteen my spinal fluid to see or find any infection within my brain. The tumor is on my right side of the brain , almost in the middle of my brain but it lays in the canal Kravis Which is the area of the brain where it splits into two. Excuse my writing I’m talking into my phone. So , I hope that helps with the confusion. Why would someone fake being blind is beyond me but there are a lot of coo birds out there your right about their. Me, I’m just an old Deadhead starting in the 70s... have a grateful day everyone god bless and rocknon! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹🙏💀🌹

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by NotFadeAway

I wasn't going to respond to your message but since LMG has I thought I would add my comments. I am writing from the UK so there may be some differences in the US. Between 5 - 10% of people registered as blind have no sight. The vast majority have some sight so being able to look at artwork and being blind are not mutually exclusive. My wife is registered blind but can still read using a iPad since she can enlarge the text to be able to see it. This is very tiring as she has to concentrate to get the text into the area where she can see it. She walks with a long cane which both helps her to detect obstacles in her way and informs others of her disability.
The level of ignorance in people who are not personally affected by blindness is high. My favourite anecdote involves us waiting at a train station when a man who had seen my wife’s cane said that he could see her looking around so she couldn’t be blind. We spoke to him to explain and he said we would have to speak up because he was deaf and had forgotten his hearing aids. The cognitive dissonance of knowing there was a range of deafness but not realising the same was true for visual impairment was truly shocking.
LMG - best wishes for your treatment. Stay positive.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Nice post Colin, thank you.

Great to see the positive feedback on this box..

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Thank you.
I look forward to commenting on this box once it arrives. We accept that deliveries to Europe can be slow but know that they will eventually get here. It’s good to see so many people are enjoying it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Not sure how they didn't know this ahead of time:

We have been advised that there were issues with the delivery of the Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991 FLAC digital files and we apologize for this error and inconvenience. After further investigation with both Jeffrey Norman(mixer) and David Glasser(mastering), it has been determined that the 192/24 resolution for this release is unavailable. The music was mixed and mastered at 96/24, so this is the highest sample rate possible for this release. Please follow these instructions below to download your files:

user picture

Member for

5 years

I'm sorry to hear that sweetheart. How old are you, if you don't mind sharing.

I love the box set of course. I have always skipped over drums and Space until this morning. I found some really cool well spacey guitar and I guess synthesizer keyboard parts on June 16. Unfortunately it began getting a little too loud and noisy for me. I wish there was a way to edit out all the best parts of all the different spaces and combine them. All the spaces combined.

Favorite Robert Hunter words are "the song that Delia sung was look out Stagger Lee" I am no feminist, but it's a hero story to me, where the least likely character of all was the only one brave enough to stand up to the bully.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 9 months

I'm sure we'd all agree that the Grateful Dead catalog, when viewed as a whole, contains "stronger" numbers and "weaker" numbers-- no need to argue about which is which. But another thing I think 99% of us would agree on is that they only ever wrote one truly BAD song-- "Victim or the Crime". I'm wondering what sort of support I might expect to receive if I were to start a petition to have that awful tune digitally excised from any and all future Grateful Dead releases. I'm not suggesting the Master Tapes be erased or anything like that-- it's part of our History now and we just have to learn to live with that fact. But the world really would be a better place if none of us _ever_ have to hear that appalling cacophony again, wouldn't it?

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

At first Jim I thought you meant that I no longer participate in such seek and find missions. But now I understand your comment to mean that it's all ballbearings nowadays. I mean grams. It's all grams nowadays not ounces.

Hippiechick you come and go so I never took you for the box set purchasing intense deadhead type of fan. My mistake.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

....when, during Crazy Fingers on 6/16/91, after Jerry transitions from the final "dark" notes in the closing jam back into the jubilant, light-hearted, triumphant happy notes again....and then Phil starts doing his really fast accompanying bass line. That's one of those spine-tingling, back-O-the-neck hair-raising moments of pure bliss. Then, off into China Cat....

Moments of inspiration found.

Box = delivering

Sixtus

P.S. Re: Victim - I once used to be in the camp of "press fast forward" whenever it came on. Then, after getting the Spring '90 boxes and giving them several dedicated listens, Victim or the Crime started to take on a different hue. Definitely dark, a bit nasty/naughty, and oh so very intentionally so. After doing some reading on this, more specifically, the band's desire to deliberately go to these intentionally dark places interspersed among much more ear-friendly and upbeat spaces was what got me to appreciate it a lot more. Knowing that they would do this to intentionally make things ominous made the emergence from said dark places that much more poignant and meaningful. Like the old ying/yang or dark side of The Force vs. light side of The Force thing. Moreover, those versions specifically from Spring '90 implement some truly great cacophonous moments. I sort of follow the mantra - 'surrender to the flow' - and allow it to take you places. It surely will, and some added insight is gained along the way and dare I say - enjoyment. I now embrace any Victim I find and give it a good hard listen. And, as noted elsewhere, to each their own. But the world gets a little bigger when we all take a moment to step back and try to appreciate things for what they truly are, not what we wish or want them to be.

user picture

Member for

5 years

I have been on the bus since my late teens. Was dating a guy heavy into them. Had my first climax listening to Stella Blue.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by HippieChick

I love it!
The counter to ribbons and roses and dancing bears......if nothing else, think of it as another form of dynamics which was one of the things that made their music so great, or what sixtus said!
Plus, if you ever had the pleasure of seeing a good one live, phewww. I especially remember the one from Hamilton. We were on the floor sorta near the center which was perfect for when they utilized the surround speakers they had for a while. At the end where the song swirls as it builds to that thundering climax, woowee amazing!

EDIT; it’s one of my favorite Bob songs and at that point in time, after like 15 years of the same damn cowboy songs over and over and red roosters etc, it was a nice change! Imho of course.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Been checking out Ken Burns Country Music documentary the last few days - really opened my eyes to some great stuff that I had overlooked to a large extent. Got a couple of earworms stuck in my head as a result - Amarillo by Morning by George Strait, Don't Get Above Your Raisin' covered by Ricky Skaggs, a ton of Waylon Jennings stuff I had forgotten about and a lot more. If you get a chance the documentary is well worth checking out, but be forewarned, you might find that there is a lot of good country music that you've overlooked.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Got email last night,,, lp's being delivered tomorrow!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am working my way through the box chronologically, as I always do, and I am currently listening to a SMOKING version of Truckin'! And this after Jerry totally exploded on I Know You Rider.

If you have not yet ordered this box, get on it while you still can. The sound is incredible, the HUGE book is a thing of beauty, and the box itself is not too big physically, as some of the past ones have been. I love the variety of tunes you get here.

As I said, I am only 1.5 shows in and I am thrilled. Could not be happier.

Rock on

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Only through the '87 show but boy does it sound great. A nice show to open the festivities. I think the 'When Push Comes to Shove' in Set is the best version of the song i've ever heard. Garcia really nails the vocals, and it sounds like a tricky song to sing.

On to the 1st '89 show.

As for Victim or the Crime, count me in the 1%, which really is probably much much higher. The song has some really interesting things going on musically. Garcia called it very angular.

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/vict.html

I believe the subject matter of the song is interesting too. I think its the only song Bobby wrote with Gerrit Graham for the Dead. He wrote the words and Bobby the music.

There was a dust up about the line "patience runs out on the junkie" so bob would change the words occasionally. Great song when they played it correctly, which admittedly they didnt always.

I'd rather heart this one than two cowboy songs that were played all the time.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

I used to hate this song (hence the play on words in the subject line above). ..but I have warmed to it. Angular is the right word.

In fact.. beyond the early classics (TOO, PITB, Cassady, WRS, etc.) I began to loath Bobby songs, a habit which I am happy to say I kicked long ago. About 10 years ago I began to warm up significantly to Bob and Bob songs, Victim among them. Jerry is an amazing talent, Garcia/Hunter the best, but there is much more to this band then the guitar god and his literary genius/muse.

The jam in Victim, to me, is heady and dare I say angry.. which makes it a good tune to play when I am mad at the world. So hard-edged and stiff. Sometimes that's just enough to get pent up anger and aggression out of ones system, especially when followed by happy go skippy song (which it often was).

I do have my pee break songs, but that's my burden.. personal preference. There are some of I have either warmed up to or not too.

Ok.. my last big, heady.. big deal day comes to a point in about an hour. Moments later I will tear open this gorgeous box and let 'em rip. Happy day (provided I still have my head attached this afternoon.

user picture

Member for

13 years

Gorgeous "To Lay Me Down" opener? Check
Great sounding Charlie Miller SBD of all 3 sets? Check
The 36th anniversary of my namesake here during a "Ripple" so good they put it on an album? Check

https://archive.org/details/gd1980-09-26.sbd.miller.118444.flac16/gd80-…

Making a tough week a little more bearable? Check.

Peace

Oh, count me as a fan of "Victim" too. It's not my favorite Bobby tune, but I certainly don't want it digitally removed from future releases.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Charlie3
We haven’ seen the tv series yet in the UK. I believe that the BBC will be showing it later in the year. There is a very good 5 CD boxset to go with the series that I bought the other week. It’s well worth listening to. In reality I own a lot of the tracks already but it is good to have them compiled in a box.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

It's a good one from Bob and the best ever version was the one played by Ratdog 11 days after 9-11. It was down in Fla at the Swanee Music Festival, Bob delivers the goods vocally and Wasserman is all over the base line, tears flowing down both of their faces, it was quite the moment and the first show that Bob and the dog did after 9-11. Am I the victim or the crime indeed.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Thanks for the heads up on the CD companion to the Ken Burns Country Music documentary. I had thought it would be cool if something like that were available, but I hadn't actually looked for it yet. I anticipate adding some country CDs to my collection in the near future. A lot of great stories in some of those country tunes.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Ok, so we have a new addition to our community, and he or she would like to be the one to determine what we can or cannot listen to, or even what we can like? Geddouttahere!! Imagine any of the longtime posters recommending such nonsense. So, to answer your question MojoLobo-NO ONE would sign your senseless petition, we know you're just a troll, and this is the last time I will ever respond to you, sir.

HippieChick-I can admit that I am completely entranced by your photo and erotic posts. If I wasn't fast approaching 60, I would definitely ask if you were up to coffee, lunch, or dinner. Are you coming??

Let the Dave's 32 prognostications begin in earnest!! Just to play Devil's Advocate, I say something from '86!!
Yeah, that's right. I said it.

Peace and love to all (but mostly HippieChick)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Reported critically ill.. (yes, like Keith Richards, he is in fact alive and kicking.....)

A bit crazy but one hell of a drummer.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

... I love Victim or the Crime. Have loved it since hearing a crispy audience tape of 3-21-90 back in the summer of 1990. That buzz saw sound at the end of Victim and the cacophony snaking in and out of structured music that dissolved into the Standing on the Moon chords hit me just the right way. That's when Standing on the Moon won me over too. I have been a big fan even when it was one of the "new" songs in rotation. To each their own. : )

(also by the way, the buzz saw sound comes across much better on the audience tape than the remixed version on the box set release)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

...I read your post after responding to Mr Mojo!

Funny, I guess I did reply in a way. :)) Just everyone riding their own cloud I guess.

More to the point though, I too have mentally remarked to myself at the, shall we say, tantalizing posts of Hippiechick, but I am convinced that that is not a picture of her and that "she" is likely a guy fast approaching 60 like yourself. You know what they say about things that just appear to be too good to be true! : ))

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Was there any rhyme or reason on numbers for Blue Ray vs DVD.... for the Giant Box Set?? I ordered the DVD and got 1414/10,000... so was 0 to 5000 DVD, and 5000 to 10000 Blue Ray... Inquiring minds want to know... Be good everyone... Bob t

WadeOCU- You read my mind, of course I considered the ACTUAL identity of HippieChick, but that ruins the Fantasy!! Let an old guy have some fun!!

Seriously, I have always had 4 favorite "late period" songs-Touch Of Gray, Hell In A Bucket, Throwing Stones, & Victim Or The Crime. I have lately added Days Between (Beautiful!!).
It's funny how time and an open mind can expand the list of tunes I love.
Music is like drugs to me. I can't get enough!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

BobT - I have #04579 with a Blu-ray. Seems pretty random.
Edit: Maybe odds and evens?

Way ahead of you.. found this the first day the posts starting coming. ..I was heartbroken. It was the day I found out you can't believe everything you read on the internet. I'm still a bit crushed after that revelation.

https://www.look.co.uk/beauty/viral-body-hair-speech-588113

..but hey, who really knows. ..like, is VGuy's wife really named Missus. VGuy? Seems like a really big coincidence, but who knows?? The only thing we can be absolutely sure of is that as a Senator he represents us in the good state of NV. I mean.. how else could you explain their move to legal weed? Some things are true, some not, it's up to use to decide but rest assured we have a loyal Senator in our corner.

When I listen to post 1987 shows, I am actually more interested in hearing the songs they were writing at that time, rather than songs which were original performed in the 1960s or 1970s. I don't listen to late period shows very often now, but when I do, one of the attractions is that I get to hear songs that weren't performed in 1969, 1972, 1974 or 1977. And Victim is one of these-something a bit different.

Reading of the references to Ken Burns reminds me that there was a fairly large history of jazz dvd set that he made several years ago. Its something I have never seen, or know much about, but would like to check out. In fact...I think I'll go have a mosey around now and see if its still available, and for how much.

I have a copy.. they are very good also, in the same spirit as the Country one make the rounds now. Historical, accurate and well done.

I was impressed with the few Country ones I saw on PBS over the last few weeks.. they seem to be up to or getting to the rhinestone era (which I do loathe).. but it has been really good so far and the music they pick seems to be some of the best of the era they are discussing. I think I posted this here somewhere.. but for some parts it's like.. ok, is there a country tune they are playing that the GD/Jerry/Bob/etc. has not covered at some point? I'm no country aficionado, but know a good bit of the early parts and there was a whole lot of interesting stuff I did not know.

Good stuff.. great to see it referenced here. It's not true that we only cover both kinds of music here.. GD and Jerry Band.. we also discuss the other two kinds of music.. Country and Western. (RIP Jake Blues)

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

...goes to JiminMD. While there were those on these threads who may have been skeptical, you took it to the next level and actually tracked that image down. Of course, perhaps you have just identified the poster's actual identity, but being an inveterate cynic and skeptic, I can't believe that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Good theory maybe it was odd and evens... bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years

Good work on the hunt for truth. It seems there's a lot of that going on. Kudos

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Major Bob Weir fan here, IN the context of Grateful Dead.

Always liked Bobbie's "Cowboy songs", LOL they were always my guilty pleasures, considered them a valuable component of our musical heritage, both inside and outside of the Dead. My & My Uncle was the all time most frequently played song by the Dead, never had a problem with that...…………

Also like Victim as well as Picasso Moon, found them a little more interesting than the new Hunter-Garcia material of that era. Just one man's humble opinion...…………….

Not sure about starting petitions to "ban" certain songs, but if I never heard Day Job again it would be too soon...…….

Rock on, rockers!!!!!

Doc

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

LMG-so sorry to hear of your ongoing health issues. I will continue to pray for the return of all of your faculties.

Here’s a sad, but very true story:

Recently I was ripped off buying some art from a man whom I thought I had “friended” on a similar board such as ours. The man was selling some art pieces in efforts to raise money for his medical bills. I felt sorry for this man and purchased three of the pieces that he was peddling. I paid the agreed upon amount of money which was $950.00 but when the check was cashed and the package arrived the first two items were not as described and did not look like the pictures that were sent to me. The third promised item was not there at all. Funny thing is, on the day when I reached out to this man about discrepancies and missing item, he feigned blindness caused by his medical issues. When I further inquired, he feigned ignorance of the emails,and agreements that I had, and still have in writing. It was at that point when it dawned on me that this man was telling the truth. He was blind after all, and truly did not see. I have never met the man in person so I can’t comment as to the condition of his eyes, but my guess is that they are dark.

Whoa o what I really want to know...is this man The Victim or the Crime? or maybe I was the victim of The Blind? or possibly I was a victim and now I’m the crime?

No matter.... and Whatever the case....Please don’t murder me...I can’t prevent the crime but I can certainly warn the potential victims...you know better, but I know him, or perhaps, I know better but you know him.

Lord I hate bus driving....think I hit a bump back there.....Somebody take the wheel....

Here’s some tips for driving and buying shit from art peddlers on the internet:

Make sure to read all the signs...
Of course no texting, but try to read between the lines....
Beware of the wolf appearing so dire, he collects his dues while we sing round the fire!

Last Five:

Live Dead - MOFI Vinyl
ABB-Bears Sonic Journals Vinyl
Dylan-John Wesley Harding MOFI Vinyl Mono
Giants Box Set - 7/10/89
Giants Box Set - 6/16/91

Rock on and be well Dead People!

KCJ

Edit: Bully’s suck, but liars and thieves are worse...

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Had a chance to listen to 7/9/89 today and it sounds fantastic, great show. Shakedown, West LA Fadeaway, Birdsong and China Cat>I Know You Rider jumped out at me on this listen, but everything sounded great. Really no weak spots from my point of view. So far this box is a really nice addition of some great late era Dead with some amazing recordings.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html