• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

i woke up to find out my box set arrived with nary a shipping notice just like how i like to receive them. i decided to heat some water on the stove and found out about that bad news. my life would be very different without Robert Hunter's words, and the band would have been a very different band had they decided to go on write their own words as well.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

There were days
And there were days
And there were days between
Summer flies and August dies
The world grows dark and mean
Comes the shimmer of the moon
On black infested trees
The singing man is at his song
The holy on their knees
The reckless are out wrecking
The timid plead their pleas
No one knows much more of this
Than anyone can see...

Thank You Robert--Until Next Time

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Such a beautifully done box set and I cannot wait to get lost in it. Thank you!

Mason died on Monday
We bricked him in the wall
All his children grew and grew
They ain't never grew so tall before
They may never grow so tall again
We dug him up on Tuesday
He hardly aged a day
Taught us all we ever knew
We ain't never knew so much before
We may never know so much again
Mason was a mighty man
A mighty man was he
Always said, "When I'm dead and gone
Don't you weep for me"
The wall collapsed on Wednesday
We chalked it up to fate
All his children ran in fear
They ain't never hear it so well before
Swore they'd never show their face again
Thursday came then Friday
With buyers tall and bright
Mason's children cooked the stew
And cleaned up when the feast was through
Swore they'd never [Incomprehensible] before
Take me to the repo man
To pay back what was owed
If he's in some other land
Write it off as stole
Take me to the repo man
To pay back what was owed
If he's in some other land
Write it off as stole....
Wow. I currently have stew on the stove.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Spinning American Beauty on the ole' vinyl player. Almost all RH songs. So so good.

user picture

Member for

13 years

Added more to the Great American songbook than many people realize. Truly one of the greatest lyricists of all time. He will be truly missed and always appreciated.

A lovely view of heaven... but I'd rather be with you. (Inscribed on my wedding band.)

Love

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I came out of my Brazilian jiu jujitsu class this afternoon feeling pretty good. It was a long day at work and so those classes usually help to remedy such things. So when I got in my car I got email from Dead.net in my phone that broke the news. I feel devastated. My life has been largely shaped by Star Wars and the Grateful Dead. There is no doubt that Robert Hunters lyrics guided me through life. Of course this will still be the case for me. Its amazing how some people are just so skilled to be able to create things whether be songs or lyrics that transcend people, places, and time.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

For RH:

Thank you for the positive shaping of my world, for the joys and laughter, for the tears and pain, for the encouragement and advice, for making a better world for all of us. For making it so very real, and so so much fun!

I didn't get into the music, the music got into me...………..

In your honor, 12/18/73 Dark Star...……………..

Rock on, and rest in peace......………………

Doc

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

Sad day indeed.

As KF said, the rock stars of the 60’s/70’s are going to keep peeling away.
From coming in 3’s to coming in multiples of 3’s.

Glad that D&C are still playing the songs. Eventually that will end too.

This afternoon I read the Rolling Stone story. I knew, but had forgotten, that Hunter and Dylan had collaborated. I probably should check that out.

A lot of posts today, so this references a post several pages back where I believe it was Jim who asked if Bolo had ever steered us wrong.
Well, I’m still waiting for an explanation of the Liberace reference.....

‘91 in 48 tracks makes you wish it all came that way.

I BOUGHT YOU A PADDLE FOR YOUR PAPER CANOE.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

His words are timeless. Composed for everyone, yet crafted in a manner that allowed each of us to interpret them as our own.

Thank you kind sir.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

When it seems like the night will last forever,
And there's nothing left to do but count the years,
When the strings of my heart begin to sever,
And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears,

You will be my missed. Thanks for it all. Be at peace.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

My Giant’s Stadium box set arrived on the same day as Mr. Hunter’s passing...this box set will have a special personal meaning for me now and will be remembered as the “Special One” In my collection. Thank you for your lyrics of peace to all...RIP RH. I imagine you and Jerry have a lot of catching up to do!

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Don’t you worry anymore.....Thank you for the kind words and for getting me through some of my hardest days Robert Hunter. Say hello to my mom for me if you find the time.

KCJ

Stay strong my friends...Every silver linings gotta touch of grey

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

#1) Just off the top of my head there was that time in August 1984. The show that we attended was The Jerry Garcia Band, Caldwell College (8-11-84) and had Bob Hunter as the opener. This venue on school grounds was outdoors and completely wide open all around the back n side stage area. There were speakers set up facing back stage to fill in the sound for the area's ticketless car campers and acts like Bob Hunter got his Chevette parked-in. We had our boom-box on the roof of Hunter's car recording Jerry. Just about when Jerry was ripping' into Cats Down Under the Stars, this high voice started to yell to everyone " Hey Can get your box off my car". Everyone was dancin' and ignored him. Then Hunter got into the rental and went to take off, with box on roof being saved. Man he is high stung!

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

but our passionate attempts to say goodbye to Robert make up for it. Onward.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

It's nice to hear this pathetic business can deliver box sets to those who purchased CDs. The digital download however is broken and "Customer Service" is just two words. My credit card was charged well in advance, which would be fine if delivery of the FLAC 192/24 files was as promised. My initial email regarding this issue remains unacknowledged with a second sent this evening. I'm not holding my breath for a response. I also placed two phone calls which did nothing but waste my time. Time to get the credit card companies involved, four days of crickets is enough.

I hear ya man.. and you are justified to be a little miffed.. but hang in there, they will make right on this. Just give them a week or so. You can PM MaryE here too, it will probably help. I am 100% confident you will be made whole. I realize these are hallow words, but we have waited almost 30 years for this and someone screwed up a little.. but I believe we are still inside the official release date by a bit, right? Be patient and give them another week to make good.

Complaining now on these boards won't do much good. It's a somber time.. As for the money grab comment, I respectfully disagree. There aren't huge numbers here. I bet they wish they were.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

it's midnight and im still ripping this box set. i must say i'm surprised to see this one dwindle down in stock so fast, the groans from all the 80's shows from 30 Trips made me think this will be sitting here for a few years like the Spring '90 box sets did. All i can say is the '87 show seems to be of sparkling crystal clarity from what i heard. and am quite glad i have the RFK box set for it makes a nice companion piece to this and i believe it sold out now.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Cub, i hear ya, But who does that to a strangers car nomatter what their doing?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....that I cried more today than on August 9th, 1995? Didn't cry when Barlow passed.
Serious question....I'm a mess.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I was always struck by the generosity of spirit in Robert Hunter's words, which were unique in the context of the other "rock" song lyrics I heard in the 1970s. The lyrics to the songs on American Beauty, in particular, seemed to me to have more in common with those found in books of spiritual wisdom, like the Tao Te Ching, rather than those found on other rock albums of the era.

I also think his talent was hidden to some extent, by the fact that his words were sung by Jerry and Bob. I have a tendency to think , when listening to, say Eyes of the World or Playing in the Band ( to pluck two songs out of thin air) that Jerry and Bob are singing their own words, rather than interpreting the words of Robert.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Ugh, I have never had such bad luck with Dead orders this year -- first I did not get the second to last Dave's Pick with bonus disc -- still waiting on that.

Now I did not get the giants box set w/ blu ray -- UPS says it was delivered but it was never there -- and now the blu ray is sold out

Dear Dead.net Customer,

We have been advised that there have been issues with the delivery of the Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991 Digital files.

Our digital team is currently fixing this issue and will redeliver your files within the next 3 business days.

You will receive an email from Dead.net with further instructions on how to download your updated files.

Upon completion, you will have the correct number of shows that you ordered, at the correct bit rate.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Dead.net Customer Service

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Thank you Robert. Thank you for taking a piece of your personal life, which I know through interviews you wrre a very private man, and sharing them with us for the benefit of all. Life gave you an opportunity to step up and be a giver with your gift, and you accepted that opportunity with grace and humility. God bless you.

user picture

Member for

5 years 4 months

Wow! Great shows...I was at all of them...brought me back! Thx for making them available✌

Fare you well, Robert...I've been blessed to have been going to shows since 1980 so I've definitely enjoyed your music for a very long time. With loads of love, peace and appreciation...fly on the wings of angels...❤😇✌

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Trying to find answers and solace....as I was listening to the 7/10/89 show coming in to work today, and it got to the end of Uncle John's Band, it suddenly struck me that I HAD HEARD THIS ALL BEFORE:

As it heads into the final refrain after the last lyrics, the song dissipates into a somewhat spacey jam which is none other that the "Riverside Rhapsody" track from 'Infrared Roses', that sneaky album released in late 1991 that only encompasses drums and space tracks. Incidentally, on that CD, "Riverside Rhapsody" is among the only tracks wherein you can actually hear a melody from an actual song - most of the others are literally snippets and unless you have an amazing penchant for this sort of identification, it's fairly tricky to pinpoint which show they are being pulled from.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss that tidbit out there for anyone else who may find this sort of 'gem finding' of value - even as we mourn our dear poet and inspiration.

Sixtus

Amazing catch Sixtus.. and an under-rated, fun album. The late era drums/space could be amazing under the right conditions.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I haven't listened to the '89 shows yet, but while scanning through the book from the box I did notice that they reference the same Infrared Roses connection with the 7/10/89 UJB that Sixtus points out. Nice catch Sixtus. Planning on spinning that show later today but the chance of me connecting something to Infrared Roses after all these years was likely pretty low without the heads up.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

That may be the most inspiring lyric for me personally. It makes me feel both spiritually connected to it all, while inspired to fully comprehend "it".

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

My sincere condolences to the Hunter Family as well as the Grateful Dead Family.

As the Grateful Dead Community Family we at least have Mr. Hunter's lyrics, poetry and prose to console us...

'You took me (us) to the farthest stars
and Shakedown Street's grimy bars...'

For that good Sir I thank you...sometimes there aren't enough words.

Agree, what a cool line. It's one of the few things Hunter reveals too..
"I was very impressed with T.S. Eliot around the time I was writing Dark Star," Hunter said, and one line was clearly influenced by a line in 'The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock' - "Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky." "Beyond that, that's just my kind of imagery.... I don't have any idea what the 'transitive nightfall of diamonds' means. It sounded good at the time. It brings up something that you can see."

So it's one of those lines that pretty much means exactly what you want it to mean.

I got that quote from David Dodd's Greatest Stories Ever Told. I used to read that blog every month, and miss it. I also liked Blair Jacksons blog.. but the name escapes me. It's been years since Rhino sponsored any of that stuff.

https://www.dead.net/features/greatest-stories-ever-told/greatest-stori…

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Goin' home, goin' home, by the riverside i will rest my bones,
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by wadeocu

That is an interesting find, the 'Unfinished Album' placeholder - and from none other than GD Productions, so we know it's likely not a knockoff.

Now, how one may find such a gem embedded within the bowels of AMAZON, I have no idea. Most impressive.

I also found this when doing a bit of sleuthing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_Grateful_Dead_album

And it looks like a few others would be left out, including 'Childhood's End' and 'If the Shoe Fits'....each of which I have only heard one time.

Again, the words of Hunter are all over this - which is fitting.

I always loved 'Lazy River Road'. Truly invokes the 'Hunteresque' notions of his most famous lore.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So many to choose from, but the first one to come to mind is one a friend pointed out to me 46 years ago:
Nine mile skid on a 10 mile ride, hot as a pistol but cool inside

R.I.P. indeed Robert

Rock on

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In 2003 I bought the book, Box Of Rain. It has the lyrics of ALL of Robert's song through 2003.
I just looked on Amazon today for this. New copy is $400!!!
Boy am I glad I got mine when it was "normal" price

Rock on

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html