• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

How long does your order status stay in "processing" mode before it actually ships? Reading all the glowing reviews, and cannot wait to get the box. Thanks

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I started with the 1970 and 71 show this morning and now have made it here.... If i recall right Bruce Hornsby did not perform at the first show in Stockholm Sweden, Ice Stadium.. of the Europe 1990 tour. Also i really like when Dave puts a jam of the week out on Friday, and then on Monday has parts of the same show or something similar like the Alpine Valley shows this past week. have a good week everyone. bob t

I listened to Waterbury 9/24/72 today as well. I enjoyed the Dark Star...but as a whole, I felt a bit uninvolved. Surprising...it just didn't really grab me as a whole show.
Conversely, I followed this with the following 30 Trips show, 11/14/73, and got into it straight away. I have only played the first cd, but there are so many great touches-Jerry's guitar on Black Throated Wind, Keith's piano on The Race Is On and an epic Here Come Sunshine. I don't normally think of 1973 as having great first sets-but this one is. Today.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

My order was still processing until the day I received it. Hope this helps...Good Luck!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'm not crazy about the title, but this next Hendrix release, featuring all the shows from Fillmore East, New Years Eve-Day 1969-70 looks as though it could be alright.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Machine gun on band of gypsys is so good. I wonder if it's on the live shows on 69'-70' new years fillmore daverock? P.S. Here we go again. P.S.S. I checked and it's on the hendrix box.

Many bands over the years have taken advantage of consumers by incrementally increasing the release. The Stones are infamous for this. But Hendrix inc. is one of the worst going back to when vinyl was king. I can count a half dozen different releases each a little better over the years. But they are not finished. There's the sound check on the 31st. The truncated concert later in January. Will I get it...
yes because while I have a boot of everything I want the quality Janie has and the money won't make me go hungry. This definitely contributes to public cynicism towards the RIAA and its business supporters.
Oh yeah has to be the worst title ever

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by snafu

Daverock, I agree that the Waterbury show didn't sparkle for me, trouble being it is sandwiched between those mighty 2 Dicks Picks volumes 36 and 11, as well as the other Stanley show.
Crickey the new Hendrix Vinyl over a 100 squid, I have a nice boxed set of 6 CD's that I picked up at a record fair back in 2007, and I remember buying a vinyl issue of the incomplete run a few years back, I seem to remember it has one of my favorite versions of Stone Free on it. Still Processing on the Giants Box.

The folks over at the grateful thread have noticed a GDP release slated for November that covers the final batch of songs - except for the Phil tunes oddly.

Have to say that I am happy to get a release with these tunes as they were in heavy rotation when I was seeing the GD. It’s called Ready or Not and I am not smart enough to copy the link but will try:

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-Not-Grateful-Dead/dp/B07Y9BH2NG

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock - I had to chuckle at your comment about 73 first sets. I listened to 11/17/73 in the car today for the first time in quite a while. After a quick MAMU tuneup, the band jumps right into ripping HCS. My initial thought was, “that was the second song?” One of my favorite China>Riders is also included. Bill Walton’s teammates must have been dumbfounded when he told them that was only the first set.

Exile - they took his fucking piano away. Perfect. And with that went the majority on my own listening interest. Hey, I like Bruce Hornsby just as much as the next person. Some of the best concerts I have attended were with him playing on the grand piano. Bruce on the organ grinder, sans the monkey, not so much.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I don't know if the download issue has been answered. I just purchased the FLAC downloads. No issues. Worked fine. Correct bit rate.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Interesting looking release. Songs for the album that never was as written, performed and recorded between 92 and 95. I was at the 92 Deer Creek show where Way to Go Home was performed. That was one of the best shows of that summer and the year. Final "To Lay Me Down". Nice Help>Slip>Franklin's and a rare Casey Jones.

I also saw Brent's omission from the credits, that was really poorly done. They make mistakes on the books from time to time. They also list the DVD show date as July (not June) on the side of the blu-ray. Got it correct on the front.

In terms of rating the boxes, that is tough. The sizes vary so much. Two are 20+ shows and 70+ CDs. Two are 2 shows and 6 discs. Even the middle varies. 5 are in the 10-12 disc range, one has 14, one has 15, one has 18, one has 19, and one has 23.

My faves are 30 Trips & Europe '72. Given their size & cost they should be. Different category.

As for the others, I tend to like the boxes built around at least one (if not two), all-time great shows (top 120 or so), better than the ones with very good stuff without the all-timer. Of course, YMMV on that. I put them into tiers:

Tier 1: 30 Trips & Europe 72. Size matters.

Tier 2: Fillmore West 69 & Get Shown the Light '77. Both have the best two shows of all-time great years which are also all-time top 40 or better in my view (3/1/69, 2/28/69, 5/8/77, 5/9/77). And 5/7/77 is close to all-timer for me. 5/15/77, 2/27/69, & 3/2/69 are very good shows for the year.

Tier 3: Spring 90 TOO (8 shows, 2 good, 4 very good, 1 borderline excellent, and the Branford show, which is top 20 for me); July 78 (7/8 is top tier all-timer, 7/7 bottom tier all-time, 7/3 is quality '78, other two not quite as good), Winterland '77 (6/9 is mid level all-timer plus 2 VG '77s); PNW 73-74 (5/19/74 & 6/22/73 are all-timers, 5/21/74 is strong, the other three not as good), Giants (6/17/91 is a low tier all-timer, 7/12/87 is top 5 '87 (if we had it all), and the other 3 are good/very good shows for that year.

Tier 4: Wintetland '73 (no all-timer but two excellent '73s out of 3), Spring '90 (all good to VG to excellent but no all-timer), May 1977 (ditto), Warlocks (2 all-timers, one high end, in the minds of many, but only 2 shows & I think a bit overrated. Though being there when all that stuff being brought back on 10/8 and then having 10/9 happen must have been incredible).

Tier 5: RFK '89. Two OK shows. Probably the worst two of the summer 89 tour, which was very good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

....Hendrix. Amazing that with approx 4 years of recordings, so much stuff is still out there.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

I often wondered about a release for some of the latter songs. Justifying many whole shows from 94/95 is hard, and 93 is dicey (though Spring tour was good).

But there were some excellent moments.

But I'd have thrown a 95 Unbroken on there for sure. Even though it is not a 'new' song.

Snafu..I take your point about releasing the same material over and over again, slightly enhanced. With the Band of Gypsies, I've got the 1st set of/12/31/69 that came out a few years ago, the 2cd Fillmore East compilation and the original album. I missed the one Sydney has..I thnk that was semi official. I got a 6 cd set called 3 Nights at Winterland from October 1968 that was similar, on the Reclamation label.

Having said that, its 20 years since the Fillmore East comp. came out, and Hendrix was still alive when Band Of Gypsies came out! So maybe this one is just about justified.

I'm not quite so sure about the 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Let it Bleed, though. 4 versions of the album, with only the Honky Tonk single as an extra.

Carlo...yes, all 4 shows feature Machine Gun. The one on Band of Gypsies is always regarded as the definitive one.

Jason - always interesting to see others rate the box sets. Its obviously subjective, but I rate the Winterland 1973 one as being up there with Europe 72. Its hasn't got the girth, of course, but it starts well, and improves exponentially as you progress though it. As opposed to the 1978 box, which starts with the best show, goes off a bit and then comes back with a bang As I say, subjective.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I don't understand the hatred of this song...I wish they played it more often.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Roger Waters movie in theater tonight (10/2) and 10/6,,,, I think it's the last tour he did (us and them). Might go.

Got something coming from ups today. Ain't got a clue what it is. Too early for the next Dave's? It might be a 50th anni picture album,,, no notice from GDM (no surprise there).

Did anyone see (I'm sure someone did), that very limited 'suitcase' by Paul McCartney. WOW! Not a huge Beatles fan but would have jumped on that. It was just too cool.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

My order is still processing too...at what point am I supposed to be concerned? Called CS and they were kind enough to tell me that my "order is processing" and they had no other info....uuuugh

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Hey now Ty627, I followed the link you posted and, although amazon lists the label as "GD Productions", it looks kinda questionable – the release date shows as November 22, "2018" and it's out of stock and there're no reviews or artwork. Wonder if maybe we wouldn't have heard about it already if it was legit. Stay tuned I guess. . .

In any case, you can hear most of the same track list on the archive (where Lesh/Hunter's 'Wave to the Wind' replaces the 'Samba in the Rain' that's on the amazon mystery CD). Check out Earthquake Country Sessions: https://archive.org/details/gd1995-01-01.EarthquakeCountrysessions.sbeo… This page on the archive also includes interesting notes and perspective from a Rolling Stone article. Still miss Jerry. . .

user picture

Member for

13 years

Just wanted to say that I listened to nearly all of 10/1/94 yesterday, and I was very impressed! 94 is not a year I visit very often (if ever,) but when I saw that this was the show included in the 30 Trips box, (which, sadly, I had to pass on,) I pulled up the Hunter Seamons Matrix on the Archive. Great sounding recording, and a great show! Check out Jerry's singing throughout the show (when he remembers the words...) but especially on 'Althea.' Really strong playing throughout...

Just a shout-out to a gem of a show in what is otherwise a pretty rough year.

Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Angry Jack - thanks for the tip on the 11/17/73 China Rider - I'll have to pay special attention to that one next time around.

Box sets. Impossible for me to rate them unless it's a comparison between like eras. May 1977 for example. And I guess the Wnterland June box set. If I had to choose between the three of them, and I had access to the rest of the released catalog, like 2/26 DaP 29 and 5/25 DaP 1, I would choose the original May 1977 box set. Probably because it was the first 1977 music I had other than the 5/28 show that was released in record stores. I really think Saint Paul and Tuscaloosa are exceptional, even for 1977. Get shown the light does have some great stuff on it, but 1 I can't think of any track that qualifies as "Best Of All Time", except for Disco Dancing. The Cornell Scarlet Fire is hot, but I prefer St. Paul, Tuscaloosa, and 1978's DP 18 from Cedar Falls I think it is. The Cornell Morning Dew is hot for sure, but when I heard the bonus track 2/27/77 version on DaP 29, it took Cornell's spot in first place. Etc, etc. Now if I were being shipped off to that proverbial Desert Island and the only 1977 I could bring was one of the three box sets, I think I would go with the Winterland June box set. That one's not missing anything huge, and thete's a freakin' 17 minute Franklin's.

But the box set of box sets for me is Europe 72. I wonder how many people would choose that one over 30 Trips? I would. Hmm, maybe I wouldn't. Well nobody's asking me to do that so it's a moot point.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

What's not to like about 11/17/73. 11/17 is a lucky number:

11/17/68- Eagle's Auditorium - Seattle, WA
11/17/71- Albuquerque Civic Auditorium - Albuquerque, NM
11/17/72- Century II Convention Hall - Wichita, KS
11/17/73- Pauley Pavilion, UCLA - Los Angeles, CA
11/17/78- Uptown Theater - Chicago, IL
11/17/78- Loyola College - Chicago, IL (acoustic, under the radar)
11/17/85- Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA

I bet someone reading this was born on 11/17.. ??

user picture

Member for

8 years

...I made a phone call to my old friend in San Fran who I did some work , we, with Stanley Mouse. Went into a Business opportunity with my good friend and brother. A beautiful time we had together and it’s finally time to let the rest of these beautiful ART Box Sets!https://mouse.fanasylum.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=…

If your a dead fan , you schould add this to your collection. Are you an art collector? Then this boxset is for you only a couple left. I made a phone call to my friend and said let them go... this is an investment piece , sure to rise in value as time goes bu And NOW FOR a Special!!!!! Price!!!!of only $420- the magic number to some heads.
Karma always prevails! hERE KCJ , Now You Can Complete the rest of the “ piece of “shit “ SET I think you called it that I sent you and that it didn’t look like the pictures I provided , well I saved all mine & your emails and messages on the board. I Never Scamed you! Or anyone in my life.And I’m not a liar. Like you claim! I’m just a fellow Deadhead livin!!!!
Here , this is for everyone on the board. I promise you won’t be disappointed in this Art box set w/ Stanley Mouse !!!!💀❤️🌹💀🌹💀❤️🙏✌️
https://mouse.fanasylum.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=…

wOUld make a Grateful Holiday Gift this Season or if you just love Art , and the history Nehind the Art Work involvolved in the Grateful Dead’s history! Just stunning from the packaging to the included contents, this Box is sure to make you Smile Smile Smile !!!!🙏💀🌹😎https://mouse.fanasylum.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=…

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

ThatsOtis.....totally agree on 10/1/94 (and I could be considered biased as I was there). It was probably the best one I saw overall between '90-'95, when I was going to shows. Hard to beat that Help>Slip>Franklin's opener. As noted the Althea is hot, but I'd also say not to overlook BOTH the So Many Roads and the Stella Blue: Jerry puts absolutely everything he has into those vocals and it makes my neckhair salute each and every time. And that's not even mentioning the killer Scarlet>Fire AND Terrapin they churn out in set II. This was/is a fantastic addition to Boxzilla and overall for a late-era show:

https://archive.org/details/gd1994-10-01.mtx.seamons.95066.sbeok.flac16

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Sixtus_

Still thinking about buying this box. Question to any DVD purchasers, how does the DVD look compared to the 6/14/91 VFTF release way back then? Thanks for any opinions.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Simmer down there little buddy. I never said you were the blind man who ripped me off on the internet. My post was a general warning to all about buying stuff from people they don’t know on the internet, especially from blind men, or when things just don’t seem to add up. I’m not sure why you took it so personally? I will continue to pray for you, especially after your recent posts. I’m really worried about you!

That being said, I’m glad you spoke up so quickly. I didn’t want there to be any confusion and you have fully eliminated any worries about that. Thank you, everyone will be better off because of this!!!

Since you poured the wine for me and tightened up my shoes, I’d hate to leave you sittin’ there composing lonesome blues....

This box set is primo...eh? I’ve been absorbing it nicely...these lyrics stuck out to me yesterday:

Strikes morning; the atomic dawn,
Scramble back to cover.
Quick, pop your mirrored sunglasses on,
My little leather-winged lover.
I see your face printed on my money,
Your blazin' ways really move me, honey!
Heart of darkness, Yea yea,
Why'm I laughing? This ain't funny
Dark Angel, now just don't start..,
You'll break my spirit, wreck my heart
You must have a license for practisin' that art.
I don't presume to imagine.
I don't presume to imagine.

By for now, I’m goin where the winds don’t blow so strange....

Patty-cakes, hearts and emojis to all!

KCJ

Oh and thanks for the link...yes sir you got me good, but it was worth the price of admission to get a front row seat at this shit show. Do me a favor and PM me before your next post so that I can pop some corn.

My sincerest apologies to everyone else on this board. I think my work here in this regard is complete.

Lost one round but the price wasn’t anything, a knife in the back and more of the same....

Same ole

Something is rotten in Denmark with this stuff. ...
Lebowski99, I have the Blu-ray, the picture is good, but not remarkably better than all the past Dead DVD releases. The real joy in this one is the surround sound mix, which is the same in the DVD and Blu-ray. The surround sound mix absolutely kicks ass, so good. Crank it loud if you can.
When I then put the CD in, it standard two channel, it was a huge difference.

Go for it, you will love it!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Are you selling these or is Stanley selling these? I don't understand whst you mean when you ssy you made a phone call to let these go.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Unfortunately I believe the concerts were shot in 480, or standard definition video, not film. Though they can spruce them up a bit they cannot overcome that limitation. So though it is on Blu-ray, it’s not going to be full 1080P resolution....
It’s like if you copied a Cassette tape to hi res digital, it might be an improvement, but it’s not going to be real hi res.
FYI, the audio might actually be much better on the Blu-ray than DVD. The best you can get on DVD is Dolby digital. On Blu-ray you can get DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD depending on how it was mastered and if everything is set up right it is way better!
People get all hung up about video, and a well mastered disc can look amazing, but I’ve seen bad mastered Blu-ray’s that look worse then some well done DVDs....the real secret is the Audio on Blu-ray! Im not usually big on surround sound for concert videos so I’m really looking forward to hearing this one in hi res stereo! So the big difference here is not the video quality, but the Audio on Blu-ray versus DVD.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Agree with you on the picture quality of this Blu-ray, but I would say we have had past Dead DVD releases in surround sound. I believe Trucking up to Buffalo, CW&I, View from the Vault 4, Dead Head and Closing of Winterland all had 5.1 surround options.
However, I did notice this release has the Tru HD 5.1. How is this different than the old 5.1 surround?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

Deadvikes,

True HD is a lossless audio format while standard DD and DTS found on standard DVD are lossy. This is the biggest attraction of the blu ray vs the DVD.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by toe2323

Thanks for the info guys 👍
So we are talking 24 bit. I think I got it.
I love to learn new things, especially with audio and the good old Grateful Dead!

user picture

Member for

6 years

Gin & Tonic night along with another old favourite of mine - dicks picks 19 . How on earth it took 18 previous picks till this came out I don’t know . What’s not to love - sugaree/jack Straw/they love each other/el paso( personal favourite ) / row jimmy / playing / China cat / Mississippi/ dark star / morning dew / eyes / Stella . Shit if anyone has that time machine this is the show I want to go to 😸😸😸

user picture

Member for

6 years

And a cracking sugar Magnolia . There aren’t many top 10 songs missing from this show .
And the sound is perfect 😸😸😸

user picture

Member for

6 years

I’m no connoisseur and I’m easily pleased .
I still quiver over the China cat bridge from 05/19/74 😸

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by perithecat

....the NHL season starts to-knight!!!! Go VGK!! back your regular scheduled programming.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by perithecat

I'd just got Dicks Picks 19 out for tomorrows breakfast pick before having a poke on here and turning in. Fall 1973 has some great shows-no doubt. If they had all been gathered together in a box like the Europe 72 shows they would probably be considered in the same category. Maybe they already are.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

A while back I used some computer software to join Mind Left Body to the Dark Star that precedes it, since it is the song they go right into from Darkstar anyway. It seems like Mind Left Body is so frequently part of Dark Star on other releases, so why not this one I thought.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

the Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing...no wait, wrong 19. When DP 19 came out I had what I thought was enough dead. When I realized my error and picked up DP19 from 10/19/73 I remember being blown away and wondering why I had not picked that up sooner. From start to finish that release is fantastic, definitely one of the best of the DP series.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

JimMD is right - I was born on 11/17. Actually 11/17/73 to be precise. I passed on Dave's Picks 5 when it first was released. Always bothered me, I mean how could not own my birthday show? So about a year and a half ago, I had the funds and got it on Ebay. The copy arrived and was stolen - likely it didn't fit in the mailbox in my apartment building so it was laid on a shelf near it. Made it easy for the taking. After a complex procedure I was able to get my money refunded. Shorty after that I found another copy on eBay and won that one for a slightly cheaper price. I had that sent to my work to avoid another debacle. Needless to say the whole experience leading up to the first listen made that first listen oh so much sweeter.

One of my all time favorites too. It's been a while since I hit that one, an especially long time since I listened to the whole show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Favorite cover of any Dicks Picks, just something about it!! Love the contrast of the wheat field versus the sky!! Today's anniversary show from Paramount Theatre has been available in awesome quality since mid to late 80's. The fact that nothing has been release from these 4 shows has me thinking they are saving them... First Casey Jones since 74 to start the show is worth the price of admission. Great Scarlet>Fire if you haven't listened... As soon as I am done listening going to put the Dark Star on from 10/19/73... have a good night everyone... bob t

Edit... my bad i always forget the return of Dupree 's since 1969.... oops Im already jumping ahead to 10/19/73... sorry

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I missed several years worth of releases because I didn't think it was necessary to have something like Fillmore West 1969 Complete. Pretty much the same songs for four nights. And afterall, there was a readily available 3-cd set with the"best of" from that box set.

But then I came to terms with the error of my ways and started buying up everything in sight. For a brief period during that binge (couple of hours), I thought I might be going overboard; but then it hit me - there's nothing wrong with being a completist - the true malady is as you stated: "I had what I thought was enough Dead."

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

As sung by Jerry on 10-1-94 (at least that’s what it sounds like to me).

In the Robert Hunter book “Box of Rain”(page 364) the lyrics end with “so many roads to ease my soul”.

I’ve heard recordings where Jerry says “to ease”, “to tease” (I think 3-24-92 is one), “to heal”.

SMR
Played 47 times (92-94) according to DeadBase IX.

I always liked it.
The wind inside and the wind outside tangled in the window blind.....

The song I always assimilate to Jerry's passing. I honestly did not hear this song until So Many Roads came out in 1999.

Such a deflating yet uplifting song. Listening to it now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Blu-ray Audio on a good system/sound field, with all the settings proper can be amazing. The difference between it and DVD can have even more wow factor than the differences in video quality, at least to me.....but I must confess I am a hopelessly addicted Audio freak!
Keithfan; it kills me how many of us have said the same things; “I didn’t because I thought I have enough”, and “why get all that it’s the same songs” etc idiots! Lol Too much of everything is just enough, and no, I don’t have a problem! I can quit aaaaannny time 😎
Hey 19, great song, but yasss, no comparison to the mighty Dicks 19, in my top five, if not top dog....can’t put my finger on it? Maybe it’s just so smooth, great set list, and yes BobT there’s even something about that cover?
Hope y’all enjoy. mua too damn busy....still digesting the Giant Box....one listen or at least background listen pershow. The audio of course is “primo” 😉! Like the book etc, whole thing is great. Shows seems mostly solid, with some great highlights. Interestingly the 91 shows seam both extra alive, but perhaps a tad more sloppy?......just here and there. Probably just being a “pickydeadhead” lol I’d rather have em reach for the brass ring but just slip away then play it safe.......like my dead hot n dirty! Hey Dave, it’s been way too long since some hot 69!
Can’t wait to dive more into this bad boy. Really want to watch the video using the hi res stereo mix instead of the surround, though that was good, not too much goofy stuff, mostly ambience which is nice...just have to find more time! Speaking of, gotta run....oh, yeah, go Knights man it’s hockey season all ready for f##$& sake! Oh oh what I want to know o, where does the time go? Need to clone myself; one could just work all the time, the other could stay home, play dead, read, watch movies and hockey.....if only!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html