• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

An all-time great band. They were the last stepping stone for me (along with Traffic) before settling into the Dead. Badge and Tales of Brave Ulysses - cool stuff.

And who could forget the Sunshine of Your Love cover in the movie The Tooth Fairy.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by marye

Is there any chance you can find out what the situation is with the downloads now please marye? It’s now 2 weeks since I heard anything from support

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

I love Cream & Blind Faith.

As for this Box. Have listened to the CDs a couple times through and all are good. Good energy on all of them. Wish there was a way to get that 3rd set from '87 or at least the encores.

I drive a lot for work and have been going through Dead releases recently while on the road. Dicks, Road Trips, Vaults. Have been doing 30 Trips, doing two at a time, starting with '66 & '95 & working back towards the middle. Been pleasantly surprised with some of the shows from some of the 'lesser' years.
On '77/'84 now.

Gonna do the boxes next, time for a fresher perspective. I rarely listen to them all the way through anymore, just usually pick a show or two at a time. This box with the different years makes it easier to listen to them all than most. Less repeats (though 3/5 on Stones/NFA here.).

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

That Blind Faith album is a classic from start to finish, really dig Do What You Like but I don't think there is a weak song on the entire album. Had to Cry Today and Can't Find My Way Home are each classic tunes. Such a weird cover with the young girl holding the silver airplane or whatever it is.

user picture

Member for

7 years

A car hood ornament. I forgot which one. The girl is one of the band members daughter. G.B.s I think. P.S. I might have confused the daughter story with another cover 'Virgin killer' from the scorpions.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

What do we got? Fa72?

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

For some reason as much as I like and listen to the 4 Paramount shows at the end of September and beginning of October, the 10/6 to the 10/16/77 tour i really neglect and has a different feel to me. I know there was a Road Trips and a bonus cd that has some of the tour on it, and the Dick's Picks with some of the 10/11/77 Norman OK show hidden, I just don't ever seem to reach for them. I know Dick L. really liked the Norman shows, and the quality of the Hofheinz show is pretty good .... searching for the sound... watching Blind Faith in Hyde Park right now... Have a good night everyone..... Bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by mcgrupp216

Well, so far this year we have:
1) Warfield '80 acoustic release
2) Re-release of Fillmore '69 show on vinyl
3) Dave's 29: 2/26/77
4) Dave's 30: 1/2/70
5) Dave's 31: 12/3/79
6) Giants 1987, 1989, 1991.

Going by keyboard arrangement:
1) Brent = 4 shows + Warfield
2) Vince & Bruce = 2 shows
3) Pig & TC = 1 show + '69 re-release vinyl
4) Keith & Donna w/ 2 drummers = 1 show

Keith & Donna with Pig ('71-'72) or without Mickey ('72-'74), & solo Vince are the unrepresented ones. I'd bet on one of the first two.

My vote, go out with a bang. 1973 big dog: 2/9, 2/15, Kezar, or RFK.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

It is almost time...

Add one to the released this year list:

Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco (1/24-26/69) - Came with the Aoxomoxoa 50th Anniversary release.

71 - 73 does make sense. It would be nice to see a 69 as a Dave's Picks simply because it is the 50th anniversary and there are still quite a few good shows from 69 in the vault.

I don't see two back to back Brent era shows, and Vince / Bruce was just covered. I bet it is something from 71 through 73.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I could see the next DaP being from '69. They are due. 1977 is pretty well saturated but I think we could see one of the Winterland December shows in 2020.

I had to take 1972 into my own hands There's a pretty good soundboard of Portland 7/25. Promised Land, Bird Song, China Cat Sun Rider, Playing, Truckin' The Other One, Wharf Rat - the usual suspects.

I may hit that opening December 1977 Winterland show m next. Feeling like a Scarlet Fire. Top 3 unreleased Scarlet fires from 77-78? Dick says 9/2/78. Audio isn't too good. I like the audio to be pretty snappy.

Grateful Day Deadland

Edit - looks like we're on the same wavelength Jimbo. We were typing our posts about 1969 at the same time. I should say I was phoning it in.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I agree we are due for early 70s. Hoping for that 3/24/73 show from The Spectrum and part of the returned stash from Betty. Most likely a Rex recording.
It had been a while since we have had a 73 release for Dave's picks. I believe 21 is our last 73 release.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

...would be most welcome, but taking into account last years 73/74 box set, and the fact that we have had two 1969 releases this year makes me think 1972 is the best bet. Fall 1972. The other year that doesn't seem to have featured much recently from this early timespan is 1971.
I shouldn't think 1966-1968 will feature....but that would be a breath of fresh air in these troubled times.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

In one of the seaside chats Dave enthusiastically promised a wide variety of material for the 2019 releases. Hand gestures may have even been included. So seems we only need ourselves a checklist to figure this one out:

Pigpen [X]
Post Pigpen but prior to hiatus [ ]
Post hiatus 70's with the Godchauxs [X]
Brent [X]
Post Brent [X]

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

So it’s 3/24/73.Should be good.
Hopefully, the box set will have arrived and been appreciated before this one arrives.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Was just looking at this and the Utica '73s. Sweet!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by mcgrupp216

Cool cover art.
The only thing that could make it better would be a beard on that skeleton.

:)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Wow dead.net have come through. Full refund but still want me to have the download so have given me the new links. Wonder if I’ll get the T-shirt I ordered as well?

Not sure if it’s because I put a paypal claim in (that has now been denied because of the refund)

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

....This one looks to be another MONSTER from that Spring '73 tour. We've gotten a couple of these already in previous years so I'll be happy to keep rounding out that tour in an official capacity. Admittedly, I've not yet heard this one and had to go seek out the set list to see what's coming. There is some meat on that bone in the second set; and overall, clocking in at around 30 songs, it's seemingly got it all ....'cept no Eyes...can't win 'em all.

https://archive.org/details/gd73-03-24.sbd.bertha-ashley.25508.sbeok.sh…

Bring it! And be happy you've subscribed.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I always liked Philly and Baltimore from that tour.. so right there with you, Sixtus.

That being said, 4/2 was not on my radar until it was released.. how did I miss that gem? A wonderful show (as was 3/28 Springfield). I guess you can't go wrong with that tour.

Oh.. just reading this now as I wrote, Philly it is!!! Rock on!

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

I am not through the whole box yet..but regarding the mixing of the ‘87 show / Morning Dew and other moments. remember that perception of the sound and mix can be largely ruled by your playback system. Through a good Hi-Fi system, here’s what I heard —and LOVED: the first set sounds great but has some typical slightly bunched up and slightly uneven (L/R balance) soundstage issues we’re all used to (these clear up for the ‘better’ sounding ‘89 source sonics in the box).
Then comes Morning Dew... What I hear is an incredible sounding remastered FOB (front of board audience) *I think* or it could be a taper-pit AUD but I don’t think so!
Then it switches back to the SBD for Playin’.
Then for Drums and Space it is largely either a matrix OR just the FOB/AUD again (Drums might be matrix, Space might be just FOB/AUD (I’d have to go back again, as it’s been a couple days).
Then sticks with the FOB/AUD through the intro of The Other One but switched to the SBD for the peaks in the song. Brilliant!
Then we also get a nice back-and-forth between the FOB/AUD and SBD during Stella Blue, depending on where in the song calls for the awesome stadium echo.
Throwing Stones is mostly SBD *I think* (can’t recall this one as well). Also a couple sweet added vocal panning effects.
We go back to FOB for ending of NFA, and is the longest fade-in of percentages for true matrix on the disc. Good stuff!

I may have forgotten all the source swaps here and it’s unknown, when the FOB/AUD is used, if it’s used 100% or with a matrix dash of SBD...but y’all get the gist.

The bottom line here, IMO and on my system, is that Jeffery Norman has outdone himself on this one! He relatively seamlessly integrated a very very good sounding Audience / FOB source into a Soundboard source, using it when wanting us to hear and feel the power and emotion inside the venue; David L. even mentions the ‘stadium echo’ i think in his Seaside Chat or somewhere...
Personally I hope they do this more often when there is a perfect audience available to do so. The added air and space and echo in the recording brings so many memories back and allows an even better ‘you are there’ emotional connection than a straight SBD can give.

Happy listening!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Holy shit!

Thanks Sixtus! This is great. I haven't seen this Email yet.

Super excited about this one for sure.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Goes to show.. there is no rhyme or reason to what shows fall on the three and four slot of the year.

This one will go down like Dave's Picks 8, 11/30/80 Fox Theatre Atlanta. I believe it will become one of those instant classics.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

This is my favorite cover out of all the daves Picks releases, just beautiful! I love it!
And the pick to end 2019 is a winner in my head, super grateful for this release, man I’ve already started dancing! 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

This made my day. And I had a pretty good fucking day. I'm pretty sure we can just tack the pre Dark Star jam on to Dark Star right? The artwork is pretty damn cool.

I shall deviate from the Keith Godchaux avatar theme for this celebration.

I've seen a lot of shows at the Spectrum, just not this one.

Now if I can just show some restraint and not listen to the sound board of the show that I have sitting right here on my phone.... a click away. Sounds pretty good too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am excited for Dave's Picks 32. I have some familiarity with this show particularly the Dark Star that comes out from the extended Truckin' jam. It is hard to discern were Dark Star truly begins (if my memory serves me correctly) but the whole thing ends with the theme and then the first verse I believe. However that segment is short so I liken this to something that came out through a black hole to form some thing familiar. I believe most other Dark Stars present the theme to start the song before all of the jamming, space, and verses play out. This one is the opposite.

On that note, Me. Latvala regarded this show highly and he highlighted the China > Rider and a few other songs as standouts. This looks to be a great release we are getting.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

You never know what might be in the fourth slot. This is such a monster show I thought they would have used this to advertise for next year's subscription by making it the 1st of 2020. That's great news, it means we have another monster coming.

I hope the sound quality is as good as April 2nd. I was a little bit let down by the Pacific Northwest 1973 sound quality. The symbols are very loud and Jerry is very low much of the time. Any you guys noticed that? Jim? Sixtus? KF? Deadvikes? What do you say?

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

DocRhino, Dave, Marye,
I'm looking forward to Dave's 32 - not surprised it is a '73 show as you still have some box sets to sell.
You know what will help you sell them? Good chatter on the Dave's 32 board might get you a few PNW sales for those on the fence. What does not help is so many folks not getting their deliveries and asking for help/voicing frustration....a sure buzzkill if there ever was one. Not only are we not talking about the music (Jerry's solo in AATWatchtower Giants stadium is smoken') but people worry they won't get their stuff without a hassle.

Jeffrey Norman spent 6 months on the Giants box. The artists also spent hours and hours of effort. Then the shipping is screwed up, again. I got mine just fine, and love it, but feel bad for those still waiting on it. C'mon guys, someone at the top needs to clean this up. It won't take 6 months of effort - just a little focus. You can do it.

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

Is one someone who didn't even have a problem complains. I feel for those who had issues but some people make it sound like this occurs on every other order. I'll bet the total number of actual problems equals a very small percentage of the total sales. Probably no worse than Amazon or whatever. I guess that's what happens when you give people a soapbox to stand on. Like that guy the other day encouraging people to make false credit card reports by saying they did not receive their merchandise when they did and then canceling their payment. Really get a life.

Philly 73 wooooooo!

See look how bob t does it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by JimInMD

This has always been one of my favorite shows from 1973. We are blessed.

As an aside, the spectrum was my home arena for shows! 1973 was before my time but I’m super excited for another spectrum release. Believe we’ve already gotten a few: 1982 road trips, 2 fall1979 downloads, and the monster dicks picks from fall 72!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Wow!! I would say wow.!Like wow. This pick is a grea...... WOW!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by 80sfan

Got to agree with toy. I saw a bunch of shows there in my 80's alway big fun the Spectrum was a great place for shows

Trainwrecked, I think we never know for sure how the sound quality will end up being with the early 70s shows. You know how it goes, some are top notch, others not so much. Just imagine if they recorded 73 like they recorded E72 with the remote truck. Mind blowing. I know what you are saying about PNW. I think the 73 shows after the first song, are awesome. They get better after they have been put away and brought back out again. 74 and wall of sound shows are always a different animal, especially in two track. Not an expert but I think it had to do with the two microphone set up and how that ends up sounding on recordings. For sure sounded great live but has a different sound to it on these releases. Certainly not bad, just different. I even think 73 sounds better than 74 with most of the releases.

On to the Spectrum, can't wait!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....Bobby tells the crown to "take a step back like Walking Like An Egyptian". I paraphrased that, but to this day, I still do that dance when I hear it. Because it's a good song and I like The Bangles. Win. Win.
They even played with them in The Big Easy in '88.
Rough around the edges, but solid. Hey Now!
https://youtu.be/8UtRTzkLeGU
It's all about the ENERGY! And it is presently spilling over on my phone.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

PG&E is shutting down the power grid all over the Northern California tonight! for at least 36 hours or more...
I won't be able to listen to my sweet ass Giants Stadium Box for a few days. And I won't be able to lurk on Dead.net either.
ah damn, first world problems again.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Almost forgot that I have the Giants Box set on my iPod, just have to charge up the bugger before midnight.

800,000 northern California PG&E customers will be without the juice!
Many heads out here. hope it don't last too long.
wish i had more flash lights.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Put in my dispute on my CC this morning. No response from CS about my order. Might wait on early dead but not this. Its impossible to believe that dead.net can't get one, not even one, of the releases to go out without problems.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Trainwreck I gave you a flip remark last night because I was in the car and couldn't really respond. Let me preface my comment by saying I listen to the Pacific Northwest box set often and as dead Vikes said it gets better all the time, those 73 shows. In my humble opinion the 1974 shows from that box set sound better then any other 1974 release. I'll say that with a caveat that there are a few that are just as good. Skeleton Skaters from Winterland is one such example. 30 Trips '74 is another. Obviously the movie soundtrack doesn't count because it's a multi-track and of course it sounds great. But yeah, the 73 shows from Pacific Northwest are at the lower Echelon of sound quality for the officially released 1973 shows at least to my ears. To your point the first show that has Bird Song on it is a notch better. But hey, I also find when I listen to one of those shows for a long duration I get used to the sound quality. Your ears get this sort of audio desensitization. Kind of like when you walk into a room with a bad smell but then it doesn't seem so bothersome after 15 minutes.

So I went on this insane quest last night after the announcement of Dave's Picks 32 to list all of the Spectrum shows I saw. I had to use a couple of websites to nail down the dates, and some of these we're at the new Arena that they built in the mid-90s which has had a lot of different names. But most of the shows we're at the original Spectrum. I had the privilege of seeing the last event at both JFK stadium in Philly and the Spectrum. JFK of course was the Grateful Dead with Crimson White and Indigo, and the Spectrum was Pearl Jam the night before Halloween.

I have to say I am shocked at how many shows I saw just at this one venue. This doesn't count any other venue in that Broad Street complex or the Greater Philadelphia area or shows I've seen all over New Jersey New York and even as far south Baltimore. This may only be 30% of my total concert goings. Could put a kid through college. For occasions where the band played multiple nights on a visit to town, I put all the nights on one line. So the list is even worse than it appears but... It's all right.

80sFan you must have been at at least a couple of these I would think. It got late and I did not get passed 2009 comma but I thought it was appropriate to just stop at Pearl Jam since that was the last show at the actual Spectrum.

Pearl Jam 10/30/09
The Who 10/26/08
Rush 6/14/08
Genesis 9/19/07
The Who 11/25/06
The Who 9/12/06
Pearl Jam 4/28/03
Rush 10/27/02
KISS Pycho Circus 11/21/98
Van Halen 5/24/98
Jane's Addiction 11/10/97
Motley Crue 10/24/97 (did not go in; balloons in parking lot only)
The Who 11/17/96
AC/DC 9/6/96
AC/DC 3/14/96
KISS 10/8, 10/9, & 10/11 - 1996
Rod Stewart 2/16/96
Page & Plant 10/24/95
Page & Plant 4/3/95 (Sr year college; too hungover next day to drive to college in MD to take exam; dickhead professor gave me a zero; no makeup exam allowed - almost didn't walk in June)
Yes 8/26/94 ( Chris Squire and Trevor Rabin were at the WMMR Studio the day of the show. I called the station to see if I could say hello to them comma not really thinking that anyone would pick up the phone while there were high-profile guests in the studio, but they picked up one one ring. I said hello can I speak to Chris squire? They said sure and two seconds later the familiar voice was on the other end of my phone. I was so unprepared for the spur of the moment incident that I didn't quite know what to say so I blurted out that I loved his solo album Fish Out of Water. I had recently acquired it on vinyl as it had long been out of print. He was thrilled, and let me tell you I couldn't get the guy off the phone! The call ended with me telling him I would be in attendance that night from the fourth row. He said wear something sexy. Everybody laughed on the air oh, it was a killer moment)
Rush 4/29 & 4/30 - 1994
Rush 12/1 & 12/3 - 1991 ( my brother worked for Spectacor and those days, which was a merchandising company of some sort that was located at the Spectrum. That man he could get into the Spectrum whenever he wanted and so we went to see one of the sound checks. We kept to the side so they wouldn't see us because we didn't want to get booted out. We got to see them do a couple of songs and then we went to the section right above the entrance behind the stage to the dressing room and waited for them to walk a couple feet below us. We missed meal because we didn't get there quickly enough but we said hello to Geddy and Alex. They came a minute apart or so and Alex waved and said hello and smiled and kept going. When Geddy came by my brother said hey we're big fans, I risked my job to come say hello. Now Geddy didn't seem too pleased that we were there. He said oh well hi then and kept going.)
Yes 7/12 & 7/13 - 1991
Yes 4/16/91
Paul Simon 3/27/91
Rush 4/24 & 4/27 - 1990
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe 3/19/90
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe 8/3/89
Bon Jovi 6/20/89
Yes 2/7/88
Rush 12/13 & 12/14 - 1987
Yes 11/29/87
Van Halen 8/5/86
Rush 4/14/86
KISS 9/7/79

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 3 months

Something strange has happened the last 6-8 months, or more preciseley - nothing happens.
I have ordered more or less every release the last 20+ yrs from dead.net to me located in Oslo, Norway. Things have gone more or less smoothly always, small issues have been sorted out with nice people with a quck replies from the GD customer service. Now it seems to be a total chaos - no replies, no shipments and strange ridicolous invoces from UPS. Anyone have some information? This is actually quite alarming. There will be no use for the brilliant work everybody at the vault does in managing, picking, mixing and releasing the Dead legacy to us if it gets impossible to buy. This needs to be sorted out quickly -we all need our bi-monthly fix of new Grateful Dead releases...

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KRIYAS

And your love's become a toothless crone.

Sorry for your woes Kryas (and to all the others out there). There does seem to be more problems getting non-defective products to the customer than even the most patient person would expect. I do hope they improve.

I am fresh off the first listen to the Giant Box. I won't go into detail as it's already been discussed a lot, but similar to Spring 90 TOO and July 78, the big surprise for me was the first show (87), not because it's the best, more simply because right out of the box it shines and sounds so good. Much stronger and brighter than I expected. I like all five, 89 seems the strongest but man does Bruce stir things up in 91, especially the second night. The sound is for the most part excellent, Jeffrey Norman continues to improve.

One last comment on the PNW box as it's come up here a lot recently.. I remember hearing similar sound quality grumblings when Winterland 73 came out.. one person going so far as to call the shows were unreleasable, with poor sound quality. I have high regard for Winterland '73 and the PNW box.. The show that gets the worst press seems to be Portland, 5/19/74 with the vocal dropout from mid Sugaree through Loose Lucy. ..but the jam in China Rider later in the set might just be my favorite part of the box. (plus it's the last thing I listened to :D ). It's got a poignant Peggy-O and an excellent Truckin'>Jam>MLB. I wouldn't imagine leaving this show out of the box or not releasing this show at all. I go back to it often. To me, this is one of those warts and all releases, quite similar to Winterland '73 (sadly sans the To Lay Me Down). There are some skip songs but that's consistent with the era. I still give it many stars and revisit it often.

Anywho, my two cents.. not unexpected, I really like that era, speaking of which.. one of my favorite shows of '73 is right around the corner. Onward.. it's hump day, in the immortal words of John Zackerlee, The Grateful Goddamn Dead!

For anyone who collected cassette tapes back in the day, and then CD-R’s after we survived Y2K, you know very well that vocal dropouts and other sound issues during the WOS era are just ‘standard operating procedure’.
Thus, any issues with PNW Box didn’t come as a surprise and weren’t cause for alarm.

What is a surprise and is cause for alarm is that the GD Organization is allowing Rhino/WMG to totally screw over a bunch of (possibly former) loyal fans.
Obviously GD Management no longer gives a shit about the fans or they would have issued an apology and an explanation, along with a commitment to get it right going forward.

I have my own ongoing issue with customer service, for more than 2 months now, with the only correspondence from them being “we’re really busy, don’t bother us right now”.
What a bunch of incompetent buffoons.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

ICECRMCNKD has it right: the very least Customer Service and Dead.net could do is give us an update as to what is going on with shipping and when we can expect our orders to be shipped. If you cannot ship the product, do not advertise it!! Or at least put a disclaimer somewhere.
Ebay seems to be a much better option right now, at least for the PNW box and Dave's Picks: DaP 31 sold for as little as $29.99 just yesterday, DaP 30 went for $31.00 sealed, with bonus disc.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

The Bertha from the start of 6/22/73 when it fully kicks in after the symbols and the drop outs on some of the shows are part of the fabric... They were on the tapes when they first came out!! Remember Dick Latvala had his caveat emptor warnings.. As i have said before the Dark Star from Dane County Coliseum, 2/15/73 has a pop noise in it that has been on every version i have listened... I wish every show ever released sounded like 8/13/75, but ..... enjoy the rain and wind in the Northeast the next few days... Hope we don' t lose power.... bob t

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html