• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by KRIYAS

The shows are great. Based on the work put in vs. How many are made the price is excellent. You don't expect to work foe min. Wage. And mayde somewhere in the future you'll ger bd out of vhs just not now. And while some of us will have a $10,000 system most of us don't and appreciate the variety

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by toe2323

Toe,

Check your PM.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

i knew the video was gonna be garbage everyone can justify anything they want in their minds its fine, i do the same same same same same thing. What is happening or going on or has been doesn't make it right or what should be accepted,. at this point its just another dead show you can fool yourself into some acid trip realization but its just tunes man that doesn't need the dummy up job to sell just put it out there so we can dig without all the crap that ruins music....the glory of it all

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Where did I go wrong
You know I've never had a clue
I must have just been born no good
'Cause bad's the best that I can do
Was it just my fate in life
To end up here this way
Lost and all alone
One more black lamb
That's gone astray
Lonesome roads are the only kind
I ever travel
Empty rooms are the only place
I ever stay
I'm just a face out in the crowd that looks
Like trouble
Poor ol' worthless me is the only friend
I ever made
Lonesome roads are the only kind
I ever travel
Empty rooms are the only place
I ever stay
I'm just a face out in the crowd that looks
Like trouble
Poor ol' worthless me is the only friend
I ever made

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

love MD till BUCKEYES come to town... hehe

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Appreciate you giving me a heads up! Didnt realize I had a message. Just wrote you back. :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by toe2323

...the amount of complaints on here. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything and there are literally thousands of free streaming shows on archive. 100% these discs are bargains. Dave's subscription comes to just under $8.50 per disc. I passed on this Giants box, opting instead for the stand-alone 6/17 and would have preferred a run of June '91 shows to this. But I think it looks and probably is amazing. What a treat to be a head! My biggest complaint is that there isn't multiple threads in this forum so that I'm not constantly parsing through the nonsense. Looking forward to DP32, not to the complains upon it selling out...wah wah wah blah blah blah, it sold out, audio is awful, and it's too expensive...oh, and the show sucks. Well, at least there's seeming agreement - this time - about the latter.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

The Ramones have a tune called "I'm against it" where joey rants a list of things he doesnt like.

Sounds like this board at times.

"Entitled Prophet"

When in doubt, listen to the first half of 5/9/79's set 2. Your face will be happily stolen.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I like the Revenge of the Sith quote you have there. I always thought that scene was one of many red flags that Wise Old Yoda missed. Then I heard that they simply had to edit the movie down because it was too long, so they took out a lot of dialogue. The original unedited scene was:

Yoda: "Be careful when sensing the future Anakin. Fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Attachment leads to jealousy; the shadow of greed that is."

Anakin: "I won't let these visions come true Master Yoda."

Yoda: "Slaughtered any Tusken Raiders lately have you?"

Anakin: "Take the fifth I do"

Yoda: "Tolerated, speaking like me won't be."

Anakin: "Do you make sense to yourself?

Yoda: "Decapitated defenseless war criminals lately have you?"

Anakin: "Take the fifth I do"

Yoda: "Went over this we did"

Anakin " 'What is' take the fifth I do"

Yoda: "Playing Jeopardy we are not"

Anakin: "What must I do Master Yoda?

Yoda: "Bang Senator Amidala you must not"

Anakin: "Seriously what's my next move here?"

Yoda: Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose"

Anakin: "Is that not what the Sith do? Do they not let go of all feelings of love so that they can carry out sociopathic behavior without remorse?"

Yoda: "Making sense you are, when say it that way you do"

Anakin: "Thank you Master Yoda. I have to run now, I'm late for a meeting with Obi-Wan."

[Anakin heads for the door and passes Mace Windu who is on the way in to see Yoda]

Mace: "Good morning young Skywalker how have things been going with your training?"

Anakin: " I've been having prophetic dreams of the future again."

Mace: "Sheeeeet I've had those too. [Laughing] One time I had a dream I was standing in a room getting ready to apprehend a smuggler, when out of the bathroom rushes his associate - biggest damn Wookie you've ever seen - that hairy bastard fired SIX shots at me point blank with a crossbow blaster, and none of them hit me. [Chuckling] I turned around and there were six blast marks in the wall, right behind where I was standing. Damndest thing I've ever seen, but that's how dreams go you know? Don't mean they're going to come true."

Anakin: "Take care of that right arm Master Windu."

[Anakin exits. Mace Windu sits down next to Yoda]

Mace: "Well? How did his therapy go?

Yoda: "Talked him into the Dark Side I may have"

Mace: "Damn, what are we going to do?"

Yoda: "Call the Wolf, I may"

Mace: "Not a bad idea"

Yoda: "Liked young Skywalker you never did"

Mace: "Dude creeps me out. Well, as long he don't f**k with me, I'm good........"

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I was chuckling all throughout this, then the best line: " Call the Wolf, I may"
So good.

"It's the one that says 'Bad Mother F&%*er!"

- Sixtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

“The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Hank Williams jr has a tune called The Coalition To Ban Coalitions, probably fits :-)

xtra question - Thanks to muleskinner(?), (not going back to look), for mentioning the release of the pink Floyd later years 87 -> now in November. the question,,,, did they ever release a "mid" years collection? I have the early years, will buy the later years,,,, but mid years????

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Currently listening to DaP1, thanks to the kindness of a regular poster, and man that is something you can't complain about. That entire May '77 run is just so good, and we have official releases to cover just about the entire run. Maybe the entire run at this point, I don't know. I was missing that 5/25/77 show until recently, and it is a really good show, so thanks again to the party responsible for hooking me up, you know who you are.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Since I particularly enjoy taking credit for things I didn't do, and don't get near enough opportunities - I will take this moment to say "You're Welcome" :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

is what I subtitled DaP 1. Charlie3 it must just be a Star Wars theme day now that you've brought up this release. And honestly I don't know how the rest of you can remember all the different volumes from all the different series. The one series I didn't subtitle was Dick's Picks, and I have an awful time remembering which numbers are associated with which shows.

Anyway I think May 25th 1977 might be my favorite 1977 release. I think it may be partly due to it being one of my first 1977 shows, partly due to the extraordinarily difficult time I had getting my hands on even a copy of a copy, and also the fact that it has a great setlist with virtually no mistakes (there might be one or two trifles of an issue, but they're trifles mind you, just trifles; and some of the most impeccable backup vocals I've ever heard are on this thing. Sounds like it could have been a studio release almost. Enjoy it bro!

Dennis, I got your PM, thank you. I will reply tonight, I'm stoked.

Sixtus, I had a feeling you would like that one. Was fun to write. I think his lightsaber said bad motherfuker on it didn't it?

Oroborous that is one of about 10 golden moments in that movie. I know there are so many golden moments, but that one just gets my gut hurting every time.

Time to drive home. I think I'm going to go with Hokey Religions and Ancient Weapons.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

What KeithFan said. Damn near perfect. Hands down my favorite Dave's Pick, and easily my favorite show of '77.

And though the Cornell "Scarlet>Fire" gets all the praise, to my ear the Mosque rendition soars way above it (though Cedar Falls 2/5/78 still stands as the best, at least for me).

There is just something very special about those Mississippi Half Step openers from Spring 77, hey Charlie and Skulltrip 👍. So damn good. Price point, amazing!

Two unreleased shows from May 77, Fox 5/18/77 and the Baltimore show on 5/26/77. Don't forget about April and the 5 nights at the Palladium. I have been listening to the 4/30/77 show quite a bit recently and this show is really good. Again the half step just kills I don't want it to end.

Too funny, even the misses got a kick outta that.....she even got a couple answers right! 😁

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I would have played Alice D. Millionaire. :D

What I find unsettling about Dave's Picks 1 is simply that it's too damned perfect. Somebody fart, break a string, screw up a lyric or something. First world problems I know.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Just finished a listening session with 10/12/84, from TTATS. Wow. Jerry. Seriously. Once your ears accustom to the sound, it's a wild ride.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I’ve had an email saying it is shipping so I hope to see it soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have also received a shipping notice. Until now I have not seen anything that suggests that any European orders had shipped. That has now changed and hopefully all Euro orders will now ship in the very near future and we can all enjoy what we have been waiting for and reading positive reviews about.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

5th show original May 1977 box set.

Morning Rockers! Enjoying Bird Song & Here Comes Sunshine from PNW 1st show and some French Roast.

Edit - and the last 7-8 minutes of the Truckin' Jam.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I knew someone would bring up the anniversary today.

This summer we did the BBC college run for our oldest. On the way I decided to swing by the old barn. What I remember as an outpost in a desolate part of Maine is now tucked behind an office building on a busy street lined with strip malls. Panera, Taco Bell, TJ Maxx and hotels. It was disheartening. Thankfully, the wooded knoll remains intact.

DaP1 - I have mixed feelings. Agreed that the playing is almost too good. It’s like listening to a studio album. I have not played it in years so I will give it another spin. I do recall the sound quality not being as good as expected. The Scarlet>Fire is exceptional and I also consider it to be better than Cornell. To my ears, probably the best ever performed.

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

My box is finally on the way to Switzerland. It was a long wait, but now I look forward to some great listening (and watching) sessions...
Many thanks to the Grateful Dead Store Customer Service.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by KRIYAS

I’m comparing the 6-17-91 BluRay to 6-14-91 VFTV2 DVD.
Played parts of 6-14 first, now on 6-17.

The BluRay video quality is far superior to the DVD, and the sound quality is light years better.

I wonder if Kranky Kriyas bought the DVD.

I know that not everybody has a BluRay player, but DVD vs BluRay is similar to the improvement in video quality going from VHS to DVD.
Rhino was able to sell the 6000 BluRay Boxes pretty quickly, so next time (hopefully they don’t make us wait too long for the next video release) they might need to increase the BluRay number.

Also, the sound quality is awesome.
Led Zep released The Song Remains The Same Soundtrack on BluRay Audio and it sounds amazing.

GD/Rhino - how about releasing some Plangentized Reels on BluRay Audio?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

So I finally got through the whole Giants box last night and watched the blu ray for the first time. The sound.....WOW. This 5.1 TrueHD track easily joins (and if forced I would say bests) the two other best sounding Dead dvds/blu ray Truckin Up to Buffalo and the Venetta 72 blu ray. The sound stage is incredibly wide. I was sitting in my center sweet spot seat and the front stage wrapped out along the sides about 1/3 the way into the room. Fantastic! Phenomenal mix and Phil is LOUD! It's rare I have to actually turn down my subwoofers a few dbs, but had to do just that on this blu ray. Phil was literally rocking the house last night and it was AWESOME! I would go as far as saying that this blu ray is the crown jewel of this boxset and just the opposite of a "bonus" throw in. The 5.1 mix is just insane and the whole thing feels like an amazing gift from Dead land.

Awesome show to of course. That sequence of Truckin>Speedway>UJB and the jam that follows is pure Dead gold!

Thrilled with this box though. Every show is great to one degree or another, fabulous sound, packaging and book fantastic and that blu ray.....DAMN. They really need to offer the blu as a stand alone so more people can experience it. Total treat on a nice surround setup.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

digging classic albums on prime anthem>american....they are the only band to do what they do even 87-91...long live THE GRATEFUL DEAD

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I like to revisit the Dead's studio albums regularly, it's like visiting an old friend. When I started listening to the Dead I had no source of bootleg tapes so if it wasn't on an album, I hadn't heard it.

Starting today's listening with some singles - I Want To Be Sedated, We Could Be So Good Together, and Angry Eyes. Loggins and Messina really hit it out of the park with Angry Eyes, and a timely message for the country again, even for those who are sure it's talking to the other side. Moving on to the album Nilsson Schmilsson, a recent discovery for me, but a classic album from start to finish, particularly Jump Into the Fire, a song which should be played at high volume. Possibly at excessively high volume.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

Finally received a shipping notification e-mail for my Giants Stadium box set today, for delivery to the UK.

However, checking the tracking website (UPS again!), the package has made it from Indianapolis to Louisville KY, but is now held up because "A missing commercial invoice is causing a delay".

Surely not another Rhino/UPS freight invoicing arse-up, please?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Love that show.. the energy, like lightning in a bottle. To raw, to rough, too gravelly, simply unhinged. It's the polar opposite of 5/25/77. If they could somehow make a composite of the two, that might just be the perfect show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Catching up, I see a lot of love for Billy Strings. Much respect, I'm no expert but loving the guy. Great to see some youngsters that care about the art of flatpicking but also aren't afraid to branch out and innovate.

Been checking out some new artists (to me) to expand my horizons... Billy Strings, Tyler Childers, Hobo Johnson, Lake Street Dive. Holy crap, Rachael Price. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7_Lg5dd_9g I chose to post a cover as a gateway drug, but their original stuff is killer and unique.

The videographer David Hoffman has posted some great stuff from his career and particularly his time with Earl Scruggs. I've known that from when Dylan joins Scruggs and his family at their home in NC (songs from which will be included on the new Bootleg Series, but the video is out there too). But this has been great to hear Hoffman's perspective. Go check out the one with Scruggs and Doc Watson, as well as their boys. (Love Doc). But this one was particularly interesting with the Byrds....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTHK-97Y53Y

I actually quite like the Byrds, but I've always been skeptical of McGuinn and this impression doesn't help. I'll take Earl Scruggs opinion over many others, most of the time.

Just finished the book Dreaming the Beatles: The Love Story of One Band and the Whole World by Rob Sheffield, from a year or two ago. It was OK, but had me listening to some specific tracks as well as stuff I really haven't got into (post-Beatles) so it was a nice vehicle for that. He was down on George's coke-fueled hoarse psuedo-reggae versions of In My Life, but I actually kind of dig it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv1DYUrbuVw

I know very little about Jefferson Airplane besides they came out of the same SF scene as the Dead, and you know, White Rabbit and all. I have a copy of Jorma's book, was thinking of trying that one next for my 'music book', try to juggle a few at a time with different topics to keep it fresh (others right now: on Anne Boleyn and WW1). I've heard some from his acoustic blues/folk album Blue Country Heart (2002?), great frickin stuff. Anyone read his autobiography??

Keith Fan - love the Prequel post. Your clones are very impressive, you must be very proud.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Muleskinner, funny to see you mention Tyler Childers - I have thought about picking up his recent Country Squire album. The album cover of Country Squire was really what caught my eye, and it fit with my effort to check out some more country oriented stuff. Currently waiting for the 5cd soundtrack to the Ken Burns Country Music documentary to arrive, and also ordered a collection of the Flying Burrito Brothers first two albums, the Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe. Kind of in the mood to check something like that out after finishing a listen to the New Riders album Panama Red this afternoon, another classic album from start to finish.

As far as Jefferson Airplane, if you don't have them already, most of their albums are ridiculously cheap on amazon now, $3.79 for Crown of Creation, and Volunteers, while most of the others are under $7 - you really can't go wrong at that price. I find just about all of them to be particularly well worth having, there is a lot of cool stuff you don't get on a greatest hits collection.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....top five Beatles song right there. That video of Harrison's take in '74 is pretty cool. I haven't seen it before, so thanks Muleskinner.
The YouTube comments also mention coke and/or laryngitis. I wasn't there, so don't ask me.
There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone, and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends, I still can recall
Some are dead, and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all
But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I'll love you more
In my life I'll love you more

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks for the heads up on the JA releases, I need to go pick some up, looking forward to hearing their stuff. I also just remembered I know Somebody To Love from the Cable Guy. Haha.

Funny timing, I just bought Tyler Childers' Country Squire on vinyl this week, it's the first I've owned of his. He's from the general area where I'm living and actually cut his teeth around here, so alot of my friends know him well and love him. I haven't seen him yet or dug very deep, but dug what I heard when they were playing him. He did a version of Rock Salt & Nails that was very good...a Utah Phillips song I've liked for a long time, mostly know it from Dylan and the Basement Tapes but some other good versions too (Willie Watson, Bob Neuwirth with the Punch Brothers).

Another local, maybe more bluegrass than Tyler, is The Wooks. Someone here just told me about them so we're going to see them on Halloween.....aka their Wook-A-Ween. Planning to go as the Blues Brothers!

Great song about a lady and the local Little Sandy river:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGbGB6Sfzeo

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

...with Rubber Soul Vguy.

Muleskinner, or others, any familiarity with Sturgill Simpson? Checking out some samples from Metamodern Sounds in Country Music and Sailor's Guide to Earth, seems like another cool thing to check out.

Edit: And now I see you (Vguy) were probably referring to the Harrison version of In My Life referenced by Muleskinner, not the Rubber Soul version.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by muleskinner_blues

....Crown Of Creation is my favourite. I recommend to start there.
Edit. Started with the Rubber Soul take, then edited Harrison's take later. Sometimes this thread moves fast Charlie3. Other times, stagnant.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Vguy - Can't disagree with In My Life - The Harrison one is good but the album is where it's at. Definitely top Beatles. Damn, now I'm feeling nostalgic.

Charles - Loved Metamodern Sounds, actually just got the album previous (even more traditional) as well as the new one (much more progressive). Very impressed by Sturgill.

Anyone heard Orville Peck? Some great songs, and he cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3esGD6lcMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL21SG_8xik

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by muleskinner_blues

....I just bluetoothed In My Life to my Onkyo receiver from my phone. I suggest y'all get nostalgic with me. It's a really good song. I bet Brent and Co could have pulled it off.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html