• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

It’s G&T time in Perithecat’s house tonight and in spinning the Winterland 73 box and I want to point out to everyone nov 10th UJB>morning dew>UJB sandwiched between a loaf of playing 😸😸😸
Absoblooming lovely .
P..S. C’mon Wales in the morning 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🏉

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

In reply to by perithecat

Actually the whole bloody box is fantastic
😺😺😺😺😺😺😺😺😺😺😺😺😺

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Nov 11th - to lay me down - El Paso - ramble - me & Bobby - sublime

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Nov 11th - to lay me down - El Paso - ramble - me & Bobby - sublime

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Peri I'm terrible at these emoticon charade games, but it sounds like you're saying you are listening to Winterland 73 and playing with some... I'm just terrible at this I'm not even going to try.

Ice cream cone kid I actually don't have the rush R40 Blu-ray. I may grab it at your recommendation. I feel like spending money anyway. Wife has been pissing me off lately.

When I get my act together pretty soon I am going to put up a link to June 30th 1974. I can't believe how good this show sounds. Some tasty stuff on it too.

With regard to the October 1974 run of shows, I thought we posted the songs that were not on the five disc movie soundtrack, along with Steal Your Face, WRS from Beyond Description bonus disc, and Scarlet Begonias from Mars Hotel or Wake of the Flood bonus track; and I thoght " we"decided we weren't really missing too much. Now granted I will buy it anyway especially if it were remixed. I always felt the drums are a little too boomy on the soundtrack.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Keith fan your correct, it’s the Winterland 73 box - while I love the PNW box the sound and production of this box is fantastic - well worth the eye watering amount I paid for it on eBay 🙀
P.S. saw the grateful dudes in London last weekend and while I realise you boys over the pond have dead cover bands coming out of your ears we're a bit bereft here in brexit land - they were fantastic .

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rJjNB7b07BV3YCe4-5C79yvc5R0jsBsN

Don't be discouraged by the audio on the first track; as usual they're straightening things out. Once they get it in order this is some prime '74. Enjoy.

Peri - The Loose Lucy is the sleeper track to me from that Winterland 1973 set. Even with the slow approach they take to it in '73, this one sounds extra slinky. Those low bassy chords from Keith sound really really fine.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Love those shows.. you are spot on Peri.

I absolutely love that box. Really.. its not a box set, it's just three peak GD shows wrapped up in a pretty blue box.

If memory serves, this was the first non Multi-Track box set offered by the GD. I am flying on memory here, which should concern us all, but I think originally box sets were marketed as non-2 Track, not Dick's Picks recordings. Multi-Tracks.

So Winterland 73 was (I think) the first two track box set. Am I right about this??? Anyway.. I think it deserved this special status but man the initial comments about the sound quality were harsh. I thought, and still think, it sounds great and is box set worthy. Those were / are special shows and to my ears, the recordings shine. .. but I would buy them again if they were remastered via the Full Norman / Plangent Process spectacular.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hey Jim, you are correct, this was the second box set release after FW. Yes, it is two track, however, they used Plangent on this one for the first time and there is a write up about it in the liner notes. Very interesting read on their process. And of course we are talking November 73, so really peak stuff for such a famed year. Still relatively affordable on eBay and Discogs if you don't have it yet.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....R U ready for this?!
Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
GOGD - Concertgebouw, Amsterdam 5.10.72
Black Sabbath - Vol 4
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Hot Tuna - 4.5.19 The Tabernacle, NJ

user picture

Member for

7 years

Evil witch, cast her spell, seducing you
She'll take you to the very depths of hell
cannot move, no eyes to see, a statue now
For all eternity Medusa laughs at you
And you're her slave

Medusa, she's staring at you
Medusa, with her eyes
Medusa, oh she's cold

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So Wales beat France. Congratulations. Time for another G&T?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Aside from Plangent, I thought I remember the liner notes saying they used a (my words) better than normal tape recorder, faster tape speed, etc, so even for Plangent treated two tracks, this run was exceptional.

Speaking if exceptional sound, I'm listening to PNW 1974 middle show. Unreal how good these tapes sound for '74 two-tracks.

Would love to hear the Dick's Picks '74 shows remastered with plangent.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I grabbed that 6/30/74 show you posted. Complete with Wall of Sound artwork vey nice. I agree this could be an official release, but I did not make it past Eyes of the World. 20 minutes! But probably would be "Jam" at the end.

This brings up an interesting question. Best sound Boards from each year.

Always been interesting when they used Plangent and when they did not.

Plangent releases:
Winterland 73
Live at the Cow Palace
Winterland 77
The Warlocks
E72
Spring 77
Spring 77 GSTL
PNW
Giants Stadium

Box Releases that did not use Plangent
Both Spring 90 releases
30 Trips
July 78
RFK 89

They should bring the Cow Palace show back in production for those that missed out on this release. Multi Track with Plangent and a New Year's show to boot.
Still relatively affordable on the usual secondary site.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Got my copy of Hot Tuna box set in. VERY cute. All cd's look like LP's and are in little replicas of the original album jackets. 11 cd's for 100 bucks,,, I can live with that.

Only a 1,000 made AND I got number 39,,,, how did that happen!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Today I'm bemoaning the non-delivery of my Sunday New York Times and drinking plum brandy from Slovakia. Our older son is playing Madden on the Xbox while we wait for guests to arrive for actual football. The beloved Green Bay Packers are playing my 2nd favorite team, the Oakland Raiders, so something to look forward to there. That and hoping Philly thumps Dallas tonight with everyone watching. It's a crisp, windy but sunny fall day in Denver and the vibes are good.

Ok, last five full albums listened to:

Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings
Grateful Dead: Without A Net
Stephen Stills: Just Roll Tape 4/26/68
Neil Young: Roxy Tonight's The Night Live
Grateful Dead: 12/12/78 Jai-Alai Fronton Miami, FL

\m/

The 6-disc Blu Ray Box is what I have, not the compilation.

The bonus material from the 70’s is the icing on the cake.

The Rush in Rio video is DVD quality (I think just due to the year it was recorded) but the others are hi def.
I watched the 2011 Time Machine disc last night and noticed that for Set 1 Geddy’s mouth was not synced to the words. But it was synced for Set 2 which is what matters because it’s Moving Pictures in its entirety. I then noticed that Alex was wearing different clothes, so I think that the audio may all be from Cleveland, but that the video of Set 1 is from another show.

Rio is a rocking show, the fans are 100% into it and it shows. That was the first time Rush played Rio.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

10-19-73 DP19

I just finished up the Winterland 10/74 movie soundtrack. I grouped the tracks in folders by date but never added the SYF tracks. I may do that some day, but am really holding out for a Plangentized and remastered full show Box. Come on Dave, Stoltzfus is packing WA green pipe dreams while he waits for this Box.

Anyway, once I was done with that anniversary listen I was scrolling through the music player and saw 10-19-73 and realized that I hadn’t listened to that in a while, and yesterday was the anniversary, so I hit play.

And why do I use ‘DP’ and not ‘DiP’?
Because DP was being used when Dick’s Picks was the active series. There is no justification for changing ‘DP’ to ‘DiP’ just because there is now a ‘DaP’.
‘DiP’ needs to be reserved for Dilbert’s Picks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

....I prefer con queso or a fresh tomato/cilantro/avocado mix.
Currently basking in the Glory that is the 2.28.69 DARK STAR. 😍
edit. All this Rush talk and no one brings up Caress Of Steel. Shame....

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

To state the obvious-incredible month for Dead shows, October. Especially the first instalment of the Keith years from 10/19/71 to 10/20/ 74 - almost three years duration to the day. This period seems like one long year to me, and there is a real sense of development listening to shows from this month in the respective years-from the balls to the wall rock n' roll of 1971, to the jazz explorations of 1974. Not to suggest that the October 74 shows were better than their 1971 counterparts-the rocking energy seems to have got lost somewhere along the way...but its great listening to how they moved on from the first shows of this era to when the curtain fell at Winterland in 74.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That's my best attempt to spell out Dan Aykroyd's voice inflection for the introduction of the Closing of Winterland. Today's occasion ties into Dave Rock's commentary on the Rocktober Grateful Dead bookends.

While Dave's Picks 3 features the show from October 24th, there is bonus material from the 21st, In including Keith's first Dark Star, 48 years ago. In the realm of Dark Stars I would give this one an A rating on the overall scale. There's really nothing not to like about it. The vocals are mixed really nicely. You can hear everybody playing, and Jerry pretty much leads the parade on this one so it's very Garcia-centric. Keith fits in like he's been doing it all his life. There is a Sitting on Top of the World interlude, but to be honest unless I'm listening to the concert as a whole, I like to just put Dark Star part one and part two right next to each other with the Crossfade on. You can't even tell there two different parts. It just sounds like one 17 minute awesome Dark Star. This one has grown on me over the years. I guess the only complaint is it's too short; but that's not uncommon for 1971. And I have to admit, sometimes the longer ones that have all of the atonal cacophony wake me up at night when the noise begins - but hey, if that's the Genesis of creation then so be it, I'll throw on December 6th 1973.

BTW - glad people are enjoying June 30th 1974. The true person to thank, the source of my treasure trove of soundboards shall remain nameless, to protect the guilty. No seriously, if I were to divulge that a name, there would be hordes of deadheads at his house trying to hop the walls of his estate. Celebrity has its hazards and I need to respect this man's privacy.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Really dug into the box this past weekend on a long car trip - went through the 7/10/89 and 6/17/91 shows. Wow. This set keeps on getting better and better. Like many have mentioned here, I think my favorite of the bunch are the two 89 shows, but really, each show has so many great moments, and all sound so damn fine!

Great work on this one! It's really a top shelf production all around!

Now, on to Dave's 32!

BTW - 10/19/71, as featured on disc three of Dave's 3, is def. a 71 favorite of this head. The whole show cooks, and the banter between songs is great! I love before BIODTL, Jerry says something like, "sweet 16, that's the number" then Bobby chimes in "If you don't believe us, just watch," then they go into the song with a 16-beat intro. Fun stuff. Plus, Phil is EXTRA spiky.

Also, I agree with KeithFan that the Dark Star is special, though I would never skip the Sittin on Top of the World... love that tune, and I love how it comes out of nowhere. I also love how the DS lands in a sweet as pie Bobby McGee.

Peace

73 Box; one of my favs, fall 73 so no surprise there. Always thought it sounded fine. Of course I’m from the “any of this sounds way better than those shitty tapes we grew up on” camp.....
10/19/89; didn’t have much time this weekend, but managed to sneak in second set; phew, really love this one. Great psychedelic midi stuff. Remember the Estimated really stood out, great show, hell great run. That 10/15/89 Jersey show y’all were talking bout the other day is a nice under the radar show too. Actually, the 10/16/89 release seems to go virtually unnoticed, which blows my mind as it is one of my top favorite releases! It sounds great, has a good set list and the playing is “primo”. Someday maybe we’ll get a box from this tour ☹️
Speaking of Primo, you out there homey? We get worried when we don’t hear from you for so long?
74 Movie; all your anniversary talk last week and a rare window of time that appeared, had me breaking out the Blu-ray on the 130” screen Saturday night. Even after all these years that shit just blows me away....when listening only, the often idiosyncratic 74 stuff, it’s easy to forget just how powerful these shows were and how on top of their game they were during this run. The energy blew me away! Remember thinking “this really should be THE indoctrination material” if you were trying to turn someone on ? 10/74, definitely desert island fare.
10/19/73; I’m not sure what it is about this show but it too is top shelf (“where mama hides the cookies”)!
Of all the amazing fall 73 shows there has always been something about this show? Didn’t get it all in, but enough and of course the meat and potatoes at the end left a smokin crater of my mind, .....again!
Damn, Rocktober, soooo much great Dead over the years!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Nice Rick Jeanneret reference.

The Sabres are off to a great start.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Shhhhh!, I don’t want to Jinx anything 😉
But yeah, so far, so good!

Edit; Brentski!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

If i'm not mistaken, tomorrow is the day for DaP32 to go on sale and I'm curious how long it will take to sell out the non-subscription copies available. Really looking forward to it myself, the artwork looks really cool to me and I'm stoked to get another show from that Spring '73 run to go along with DaP16 and 21.

Been pretty busy lately, so my listening time has been a little limited, but I recently burned a copy of 2/27/69 so that I can listen to it in my car, so I've listened to that a few times recently. That transition from Mountains of the Moon into Dark Star is the stuff, and that Dark Star is the one that is etched in my brain from Live Dead. Never gets old.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Subscribe. Saying it before people complain about missing the email in the Bulletin, and missing out. The next year's subscription goes on sale in a few weeks. Buy that, and, barring customs taxes or warehouse moves that take 6 months and the losing of packages, you can sit back and relax that you'll get it at some point, plus you did basically get one free and the bonus disc. And next year, you, too, can join in on the chorus of everybody's favorite Subscribe.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

In reply to by simonrob

G&T’s all round after that result 🏉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Bring on the springboks 🇿🇦 . I’m just re visiting Veneta 08/27/72 I know it’s a well worn favourite but I can’t get enough of the dark star>el paso segue - talk about the sublime to the ridiculous 😸😸
I’m so looking forward to dap 32 absolutely my favourite year 😸😸😸😸
On a more somber note , haven’t seen much from love my girl recently all ok out there ?

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

10/19/89, 10/15/1989, 10/16/1989…. they’ve been on my play list recently while working my way from Hampton to Miami, and all which without official releases have been new to my ears. For shame-- both to me for not listening earlier and to Dead.net for not getting more of these out! Jerry tinkering around with the midi is a bowl full of fun, gives the tour a bit looser, more experimental feel than the more refined Spring ’90. And all of these shows complement each other nicely, a lot of sonic echoing from one to the next. Gives the tour a recognizable ‘sound’, particularly when bookending the tour with two Dark Stars that burst with celestialdelia.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

This one will be gone in 30 minutes. Fingers crossed on the sound quality.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I'm with Deadvikes on this one.

I was just pulling down the setlist from setlists.net, and the first review (not from me) is spot on.
this show is overlooked...it shouldn't be...it's a beauty. highlights?? ok here are a few...an emotion filled looks like rain...a long and pretty here come's sunshine...sweet playin...and then the entire second set will just melt your mind!! the he's gone>truckin>spanish jam>dark star>sing me back home>sugar mag conclusion is over an hour of some of the finest and tastiest dead music you will ever hear!

-Row Jimmy
This was one of my favorite shows from the spring tour when I listened to it last. Baltimore, the next show on the tour, was also right up there up there. Great sound, great setlist, great performance. Gotta agree with Row Jimmy, the second set will steal your face right off your head.

..and what's up with the 18 song first set (and 17 songs the next night)? In the later years you would get 7 or 8 songs followed by the infamous Bobby quip "We'll be right back."

This one will disappear.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Under 30 minutes. Prime 1973 with a Dark Star, after a KeithDrought. That's if the website can keep up with the orders wink...

I've been dabbling in Europe '72 / The Other One. Really the Last Frontier for me on Europe 72. I can always get into the verses and the jams around the verses, but I used to get a little lost in the unmelodic arrangements and the cacophony and the atonal........you know what I'm talking about - when the shit just gets noisy. (and your wife says " what is all of this NOISE? There's a good one on May 13th 1972 in France. It's only 28 minutes so they cut out most of that noise. Most of the full length one part versions are the 34 Minute Zone. Pig pen sounds great on the Hammond. Some good Improv of the melodic nature.

And does Loser get any better than Eurppe '72? That is a statement. Or Me and My Uncle for that matter.

Did them back-to-back last night.
Just what that Monday night needed.
Yes, a very nice Dark Star with a perfectly placed Top of the World.
Then the next night with a smokin’ Other One and a perfectly placed Deal.

Bring on DaP32 and the 2020 Subscription!
Usually the subscription announcement reveals the first 2 releases to entice those who may be on the fence. Not sure why anyone would be on the fence, the subscription model has been analyzed from all angles and it’s the only approach that makes sense.
So anyway, my guess is

DaP33 6-14-76 (or 6-29-76, as both are way overdue).
DaP34 6-10-73 (4 discs)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by FiveBranch

Agree totally with your post....these tours often have a subtle “flavor” or sound or what not.....
Dammit Dave, fall 89, bring it!

DaP 32; you’d think there aren’t many non subscription sets even available? So that plus it’s killker spring 73.....yeah, half hour tops!

Kiethfan/atonal; the wife comment was too funny, but true! Lol. Personally, that “noise” is my favorite shit about the Dead and their ability to play that free form Jazz like stuff. No body that I’ve ever heard can do that, AND turn on a dime and rock the #$&**$** out! NOBODY! “ the omnipotent GD”. I say, The weirder the better!.....

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Psalm 100

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord

The GD and music in general is my joyful noise

Hallelujah!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

It's hard to beat the consistently stellar versions of "Mr. Charlie," on E72. Punchy and tight with killer guitar solos. Like, back when the Dead were a real rock band.

Don't get me wrong, I like the other stuff, too, but I don't think they ever rocked like E72 again.

\m/

Thanks guys, really enjoyed this one, great sound and a nice change. Hopefully some of the folks who were disappointed about this one “sometime will get shown the light” Really getting a lot of Milage outta this one!
Well, how to top this......3/24/73 of course! As ol JS would say, ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by LedDed

I agree that the band really rocked during Keith's early years. The Fall shows from 1971 really capture this moment well. There is a great dvd in the Beat Club television series, from 1972, played during the European tour. All sorts of hard rocking bands are featured-the MC5, Deep Purple and Alice Cooper come to mind...but none swing as convincingly as the Dead doing One More Saturday Night. Great visuals on the show, too, featuring pictures from the covers of the albums.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

scratch the fleas

DAVE L. hit me with a 1984 box set !!!!

10.23.89 meet me at the Sizzla

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Less than 100 left. Better grab one while you can. They did a great job on this box and yes the 87 show definitely has some sort of audience patch. However, all five shows rock and the Video is great. One of my top five Eyes of the World and what a way to open.

We will have to wait another eight months or so until they announce the 2020 box and I have no clue what they will put out next. The last two years for sure have fooled me........Of course I would love to see that Epic Fall 80 run released but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

Looking forward to the Spectrum release next week and have tons of great releases to spin in the meantime.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I love the cds, blu-ray and book. Has it be noticed that Brent's name is missing from the Band's members list at the last page? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

user picture

Member for

5 years

I like the 1971 Mr Charlies like Dick's 35. Those are very raw sounding to me and rock out. Jerry loud.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html