• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is a show i've been waiting for.

Major boner.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Wow, yesterday was truly a Grateful Day for this lil buckeroo! Listened to more of this awesome Giants Box I’ve been digging in the background while working in the garage, the announcement of another great spring 73 show, the Ready or Not release, and received a Miracle, in the form of a package with a bunch of killer shows that I was missing, in fact haven’t even heard yet, that a truly kind person here sent me. I won’t name names, though this person is always doing these things so I’m sure others who have experienced similar kindness have a good idea whom I speak of......
I’ve been trying to catch up onreleases I missed, but some of it is quite frankly not affordable,, for me at least. So this is truly a miracle in that I might not ever been able to get many of these top tier releases....Thank You So, So much!!!
Now if I could just get a couple days to rip it all.... 😉
Yesterday was the best Xmass I’ve had in years! Woooohhhoooooo!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes sir, saw more shows there then any other venue. Not entirely sure why, as it wasn’t super close, 6-8 hours I think? Maybe because it often was right around Hampton, one of my top indoor favorites? So we’d do those 2 runs and try and stay away from the BIG city crazy venues...
Was fortunate to see mostly great shows there in;
1985 3 nights (best Easter Ever!)
1986 3 nights
1987 3 nights
1988 1 night (serendipitously ended up going outta the blue for just the one night)
1989 3 nights (when o when will these bad boys see the light of a Day, Dave?)
Oh, and I forgot the 89 JGB shows after those awesome Merriweather gigs....
Love the RT 82, and the 79 DL are, well at least the 6th is perhaps my favorite 79 release, but I’m really looking forward to this 73 monster!
The good ole Rectum!

PS; can anyone rember what year/night it was that we all had to wait outside for the WWE event to end, and when it did, hee-hee man was that interesting; all those wrestling folks trying to get out while we were trying to get in! Pretty crazy! Can’t recall what time the show finally started but rember it ended well after midnight....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Sorry, one more thing.....talking about serendipitious show going. 30 years ago tonight the Big return of the Dark Star!
I’ll have to fire that up this evening!

...so funny you mention that 'pop' in Dark Star from 2/15/73.....I am totally right there with you and I know exactly what you are talking about.

That being said, that is one of my all-time favorite Dark Stars - it's totally, completely accessible (read: does not ever get into meltdown territory) and it also has one of the most lovely moments ever, IMHO - from Jerry, that little segment just before they off into Eyes of the World - he plays so delicately, and everyone just jumps right onto that train to help complete his thought...

https://archive.org/details/gd73-02-15.sbd.hall.1580.sbeok.shnf

The 'pop' heard 'round the world.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Me too! I saw more shows at the Wrecked'em than any other venue as well.
All mine were in the 90's, but what's a guy to do? They were all super fun and the energy was high.
Cheap Phillies day game tickets sometimes too.
Cheers to Philly.
:O)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

Only saw one show in the Spectrum.. didn't like driving in Philly, my loss and too bad they didn't have GPS back then.

The best set of shows I probably saw was 30 years ago today though.. I always forget this anniversary. The digital downloads are back on sale. Would love to see Jeffrey Norman remaster them..

53 Spectrum Shows.
12/06/68, 09/21/72, 03/24/73, 09/20/73, 09/21/73, 04/22/77, 05/13/78
01/05/79, 01/12/79, 11/05/79, 11/06/79, 08/29/80, 08/30/80, 05/02/81
05/04/81, 04/05/82, 04/06/82, 04/25/83, 04/26/83, 04/06/85, 04/07/85
04/08/85, 03/23/86, 03/24/86, 03/25/86, 03/29/87, 03/30/87, 03/31/87
09/22/87, 09/23/87, 09/24/87, 09/08/88, 09/09/88, 09/11/88, 09/12/88
10/18/89, 10/19/89, 10/20/89, 09/10/90, 09/11/90, 09/12/90, 03/16/92
03/17/92, 03/18/92, 09/12/93, 09/13/93, 09/14/93, 10/05/94, 10/06/94
10/07/94, 03/17/95, 03/18/95, 03/19/95

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

That is a ton of shows! I couldn't help but notice you went to all three Kiss reunion shows. The only city they played more shows was New York on that tour. I also noticed that your first concert on the list was for 1979 also Kiss. That must have been amazing. And the last thing I noticed is every Kiss show you have listed occurred when Ace Frehley was in the band. Good man. Glad to see you have your priorities in order.

So I have to ask. How did you end up at a Motley Crue show and not go in? You just sat in the parking lot inhaling nitrous all night? Not judging just curious.

This is going to be a really hot release. Their shows were so long in 73! Kind of wish the Dark Star was longer but I'm hoping the quality makes up for the shorter duration.

I hope everyone gets their orders straightened out. I can understand the frustration. It just happens that I have had the opposite experience with customer support. Most packages make it without any problems. Once I had a dented Dave's Picks and they replaced it immediately and didn't ask for the dented one back. I thought that was pretty cool. Another time I ordered one of the Europe 72 CDs and they sent the entire all music Edition by accident. I felt like I was playing Monopoly and got the community chest card that says Bank error in your favor collect $200. Had a difficult time returning that but you can't put a price on doing the right thing.

user picture

Member for

5 years 7 months

Here's what happened, they didn't just switch warehouses back in May, they switched companies. Now that Musictoday is no longer handling their fulfillment/customer service it's a complete dumpster fire. Not sure what company took over, but they are terrible. It's frustrating because I never had any major issues with Dead.net service before this year.

As for whoever said they don't think it's every order, of course not, but I will tell you I'm now at 3 out of the last 3 orders being messed up. First was my 7" collection vol. 10 which the first time around showed up in the form of an empty mailer. Took me several e-mails to get that cleared up, but it did arrive. Then there was the DaP 31 debacle which took me about two months to get a copy shipped to me. Now this one, I ordered the Giants Box on 9/20 right before the BD sold out. There was a note saying orders wouldn't ship until 10/2 because of inventory at the warehouse. Not sure who takes nearly two weeks to complete an inventory of fairly compact product, but ok. Now here we are at 10/9 and I still haven't received a shipping confirmation and CS did not return my e-mail from last week. I kind of have a feeling that the pre-orders are the only Giants boxes that have shipped out and everyone who ordered after the official release date is waiting.

In any event, this is getting pretty ridiculous. I really want to order a Daves subscription for 2020, but I don't know how much longer I can support a company that seems so incompetent and just generally incapable of shipping product in a timely fashion.

I put together a crowd-fund site to help buy MaryE a new bike. Her old one (a 1972 Schwinn with high-rise handlebars, a banana seat and rainbow colored tassels coming from the bar ends) has several hundred thousand miles on it and is in the shop. Guess who's fixing it, that's right.. Dr. Rhino, so it's going to be a couple weeks until we know more. He is very busy.

Please visit and support our crowd-fund site. It's our only hope to get deliveries back on track. So far, we have enough for a state of the art Huffy.. but we really need one of those carbon frame, carbon wheel fast ones, so lets hold out another couple days.

One way or another
This darkness got to give.

....at least at the Vguy household. Lennon went out with a bang. Entwhistle went out with a different kind of bang. (no offense if that joke offends anyone. Gotta be careful these days you know).
Ace Frehley was and will always be the most talented KISS member. I agree.
With Vinnie Vincent a close second.
Edit. Hey Hicks! You got your 7" single package with no 7" in it? As in empty? Wow. I mean.....wow.
Did you get at least the packing slip? Because that would just add salt to the wound.

HICKS

I ordered on Aug 1st at 12:09pm so not all pre-orders have been sent out. As I am in the UK I don’t think my order is overdue yet since previous deliveries have take at least three weeks to arrive. The difference this time is the lack of any email confirming shipping. It really is the lack of communication that is most irritating. Having said that I will still order the 2020 Dave’s Picks when they are advertised because it’s the only way to get them over here.

Really cool you were there for these two shows. 89 was such a great year for the boys and a lot of us on this site. I know the first time I heard it, full chills down the spine! Can't imagine what it was like live

And of course this box is an let A+. Love all the shows. Look forward to more great shows to come, they have a ton more in the Vault.

Vguy, just a slight twinge on your joke here, though just the Lennon part. Entwistle is my bass hero (Too Late the Hero), but I lack sympathy on the manner of his demise. Townshend can be a bit of a prat, as he will joke on stage about it, but when a 58 year old man with a heart condition does coke and two hookers the night before tour starts... But a happy birthday to two music legends who altered the course of history, not just music history.

https://youtu.be/rH6pK890ZgU
(Entwistle was a damn good synth player as well)

Definetly best/favorite......first concert ever was Kiss January 78. Saw again a year or 2 later as I was now (@ like 17?) the older experienced concert goer who was elected to escort the family youngsters. Lol, well, by then I had seen the dead a few times, so I guess maybe I was 😉

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

What a night!
Unfortunately, another one of those releases that do not quite fully capture what it was really like being there.
Feel even more so about 10/14/83, and 3/28/88 releases, Love em, but missing something? that you’d probably not notice if you weren’t there, if that makes sense?
Fired up 89 tonight back working in the garage, and actually really dug it. Like I’ve always liked it, but tonight something clicked and well, a good time was had by all!
Here’s to the good ole days....Salute!

I ordered two copies and neither has been shipped to me here in the UK. I am so fed up. This has cost me a small fortune and what really rattled me is the complete lack of any response from customer “services”. They really should have put out a general notice and apology if it was the fault of an outside despatch agency. The fact that they haven’t speaks volumes. Disgraceful. I was on the fence a while ago about DaP 2020 but now I won’t subscribe. Just too risky. I had to pay a fortune for DaP31 import and carriage duties and decided against my better judgement to buy this box set. I wish I hadn’t.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by frankparry

One last spectrum thought....I believe my last three events there were:

March 95: Grateful Dead
December 96: Phish
Sept 2008: An exhibition game between the flyers & hurricanes - after being in the new building for years, the flyers played one last game in the old place before they tore it down. Many of the old captains came back for a ceremony on the ice before the game and the flyers showed vintage videos/animations on the scoreboard during stoppages. That place was a dump but between concerts (mostly dead) and flyers/sixers games, I still have a ton of fond memories...

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Even though my order - like a great many others - is lost in the warehouse time continuum, I’m reading some incredibly favourable reviews by the community on the Giant box, so I am really looking forward to it, as well as DaP 32, which looks amazing. As for Ready Or Not, kinda of Meh!, but that is just my take. (I always thought The Other Ones’ The Strange Remain release of “Corrina” set the bar on that tune. Sure, the band was more Dead Lite than Grateful Dead, but a really under the radar release,).
Just a shout out to the poor operators at the customer service hotline - courteous, professional, and as frustrated as their callers, doing their best. (You cannot go Greta on these people, they are just the messengers, and they are trying their best in a very tough situation put on them by Rhino) These releases will eventually show up, the Sun will rise tomorrow, and in the interim, I enjoy reading how much everyone is digging the set.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by 80sfan

80s Fan - I was at those 96 Phish shows too! Rotation Jam!

Great times!

Peace

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

At the risk of sounding crass (I hope no one here minds...), I always assumed that it was the Philly Rectum, not Wreckdum... Makes a bit more sense to me, since it was quite the s***hole, (though the place of so many good concerts and sporting events... goes to show you don't ever know.)

Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

you have that right - I won't spin a Kiss album much less go to a concert without Ace Frehley. It's almost laughable to hear how Gene Simmons treats Ace in the Press. Without him he would still be mr. Klein to a bunch of high schoolers in Brooklyn. I could go on but the bottom line is Gene Simmons wouldn't have anywhere near the fortune he has today if the kiss reunions didn't happen. He has Ace to thank for that though he'll never admit it.

The 1979 show I saw was pretty damn exciting because I was 7 years old. But it was the dynasty tour which was the beginning of the end and even then I sensed something was wrong with the band I have been listening to for the past 3 years. The album, the costumes. Oborious you are lucky indeed to have seen them in 1978. I remember seeing commercials for the Kiss Alive 2 tour which is what you saw them on but I couldn't get my parents to bring me. By the following year they had come around, where at least I should say my mother came around and took us. But in hindsight that tore paled in comparison to the one you saw them on. They didn't even play Shock Me. But I did get New York Groove and 2000 man instead. And it was the first year Gene flew up into the rafters.

Fast forward to 1996. My cousin died I always talk about who brought me to my to Grateful Dead shows but tickets for the Madison Square Garden Show on Saturday night. Kiss was so hot for that reunions tour they played five sold-out shows at the Garden. It was easily the most raucous concert I've ever been to. We had great first level seats directly across from middle stage and the atmosphere was just Electric. Every section had a group of 10 or 15 people playing air guitar and singing in the doorway from The Concourse to the seating area. So every time you got up to take a piss or get a beer you became part of the air band that was jamming to whatever song they were playing at the moment. I was in my mid-20s so this was my Prime. And the setlist they played was better than anything they've done in the 70s because it was longer and it included only the best. I remember after the initial shock of just seeing these guys on stage and hearing the music was something I'll never forget. And then they played Doctor love around the third song I think and this is an Ace Frehley showpiece. Female that guitar solo and it was so loud it was like a second shock wave came across the crowd. It was like okay they're not just here Ace is here and in top form.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Really cool you were there also. You saw some great shows. I am sure these stick in your memory bank.

How many boxes are left for sale?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Throwing Stones 6/16/91. I can't get enough of the middle Jam on these live versions. Jerry is either extraordinary or just kind of his regular great on every version. This is extra extraordinary.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Love the Spectrum discussion. Didn't "The Dead" play one of the last shows at that venue too? I think I was at that one.. or was it Furthur?? Still.. great conversation on an important, albeit an dumpy venue.

Deadvikes, thanks for the shoutout. To add, something I think Oroborous brought up about recordings not quite capturing the show as we remember. This is so true for a lot of the late era shows (and probably early era shows too). ..and the reverse is true to a lessor extent also. I believe if post 78 was recorded as well as 78 and before, history would think more highly of the later era shows.

Back to venues.. I really enjoy the discussions on the topics. My biggest regret (besides the places they played before my time)? Missing the Frost. Had several near misses that I did make, grateful for those.

Little 87 news clip from Laguna Seca (missed that one too) that is on point..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRRrB1by16I
China? Must have missed that, but I do recall a rumor of playing at the Great Wall?? Perhaps that is what they are referencing...

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

First time poster, but long time fan of these forums... so much good insight to the music. Appreciate all the dialog and feeling of community... happy to finally be participating.

Love the news clips of Laguna Seca '87... Thanks JiminMD for posting.

Laguna Seca was the first of my 70+ shows. I got so sunburned I had blisters on my ears! I remember being half asleep Saturday night when some folks came through camp saying the dead was back on stage. Wrapped in a sleeping bag and fog we wandered back to the venue where they were filming the Touch of Grey video. I guess that makes me a true "Touch Head". :-)

I am really enjoying the Giants Stadium box. Sound quality is amazing. So happy to have these shows and all the other releases. Despite all the issues some folks are having, we are really blessed to have access to all this incredible music.

Cheers to all and have a grateful day!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Right you are Jimbo. When I was looking up dates to compile my list of shows, I saw that "The Dead" was the second to last band to play there.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

Due to 10-9-89 anniversary, and this awesome GS Box, I totally forgot about 10-9-76 yesterday.
Will make sure I do 10-9,10-76 observances this weekend.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Good to finally hear from you--thanks for the stories!

Don't be a Stranger (even if you feel like a . . . ).

And yes, Giants box. Finally put on the 1987 show this morning, and just basked in the lovely sound. I felt like the skeleton in the Lazy Boy, with my hair getting blown back by the roses emanating from the speakers . . .

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

Yup, you are correct. It was definitely known as the Rectum 'cause the venue and surrounding area indeed was a dump and a little sketchy.
I just thought it would be fun to do a little switch-a-roo on the name play by kinda describing how me & friends felt after shows there. And I mean in the good way...;O)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Getting caught up, I'm way back now (page 34). Missed a conversation on Hank 3, just wanted to chime in I loved his stuff...one of the first concerts I saw too, April 2006. Some of his later stuff has gotten out there, but I do like the Straight To Hell album for what it is. That portion of the show in April '06 was fantastic..the Assjack ("Hellbilly") section afterwards was uh, uncomfortable even just making it for the exit.

Plethora of releases here lately, holy cucumber. New Avetts album (not bad, though I prefer their cover of LWIII's Swimming Song as far as recent performances go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3sesfZD9Zc ), new OCMS live at the Ryman (going to see them there soon...the Mother Church, love it), new Sturgill, Abbey Road..and of course, all the Dead.

Only been sampling at the Giants box set so far, but loving what I hear. Those 48 track recordings are something else.

Today's shout out however is to 8/6/74, Jersey City, Me & My Uncle. The mix and the performance together make it quite the showcase for Keith. One thing I do love about the 'authentic' boots compared to the mastered releases, they all have their quirks and represent different angles, different perspectives. Love the official releases but I almost lament relying on those and not bootlegs of the day (how spoiled).

Heard Dylan may have a new drummer this Fall....gonna miss ol' George Receli if that's true. Got tickets for several shows and the tour starts tomorrow (for Dylan, not me), so we shall see.

One last video find for words of parting (actually, someone may have posted this here, sorry I can't remember), if there's any Robert Johnson fans....this protector of the blues vernacular is insane, and I'm jealous. I'm sure of it. I hate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnOQl_RpndU

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

got this set today, sorry for post the other day, still comes down to no customer service. ..first impression only watched video wished I wouldn't have, sorry but to see Jerry like that is just so heartbreaking....and the video quality is like every other GD I've seen, like crappy vhs really but oh well that was the only time I'll watch it anyhow. GD is just about the only non digital music I buy anymore. I once again vote to dial these back there is no reason this is a $170 boxed set. Maybe $100 but its too much and to have to deal with the hassle of no customer service is crazy. Also get rid of subscriptions and limited additions , bonus disks, c'mon no band with such a following hassles every release like this. The music is put out that you can get now or maybe later if it doesn't fit your time or budget. I also vote for blank covers or a picture of the band compared to some of the terrible art work on most these. They should release a quality show every few months in a more simple cd form and as download. Even with this box is there any reason for it? any reason these shows can't be released individually and at a reasonable price? The format of the subscription and the boxed set is old and are any of these shows like deserving some grand release? I love the Dead and all years , some more than others but c'mon I think we should really push for more simpler releases from all years without overpriced boxes, subscriptions and limited additions, just give us the music at quality and reasonable prices....sorry bout that but seeing Jerry in that video just got me down, sorry just having bad couple weeks....oh dig the HAnk III funny just played satan is real at work this week

did some: this week:

dylan.... hard rain
hendrix.... axix: bold as love
George harrison.... all things must pass
Waylon jennings.... grts hits
Nick cave ....b sides and rarities vol 3
Bonnie Raitt ....collection
Patti Smith/// land

new tool feels like (hooker with a penis...send me your money fu buddy) sorta like recycled mostly nothing new nothing to sing to, it ok but its one note probably drinking some george jones....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

Have to take back my previous comments about vocals being a bit low on the 6-16-91 show in the first set. Just listened again this time sober (lol) and this mix/recording sounds incredible. Awesome show as well!

Love this boxset! Very happy :D

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KRIYAS

Bad customer service and an unstable product.. I can deal with. The argument for some time was growing pains, problems with outsourcing, errant and disgruntled employees taking boxcutters to CDs.. whatever. I get that.

But the cost per CD excluding the Bluray is $11 per CD. On Amazon right now, Dark Side of the Moon is $9.43 no Bluray.

Overpriced, really? No. Not one bit. I'd call this a bargain. The Best I Ever Had.

Edit: By the price per CD excluding BluRay =$11, I mean this assumes the BluRay is free. This has value too, how much, I don't know don't care. Clearly in bargain territory.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I was stoked to see both the show selection for 32 and the artwork, which looked pretty cool to me. Knowing how good DaP 16 3/28/73 and DaP21 4/2/73 are, I am really looking forward to getting 3/24/73 for DaP32.

Kriyas, glad you got your box, curious to know what you think of the shows once you give them a listen. I thought the entire box was stellar. As far as the video, yeah, if it was shot on VHS, transferring it to Blu-ray or DVD won't really improve the image quality. Haven't even watched the video myself, probably will at some point but who knows, wasn't really a major selling point for me in the first place.

As far as the box format, bells and whistles vs. plain brown wrapper, I like some bells and whistles but I am a fan of objects of delight of any kind, things to brighten my space. Having said that ...I am now out of shelf space for these box sets, the Giant Stadium box is still sitting on the coffee table while I figure out where to put it. Of course, I also am out of shelving for regular CD's as well so there is a growing stack of CD's sitting on the turntable, so apparently I need to build or buy more shelves. I do prefer if they stick to more compact boxes like the first May '77 box and the July '78 box, both of which seem about the perfect size to me, but, I find that the artwork on the boxes and the DaP series generally strikes me as ranging from "pretty cool" to "I fucking dig that", but maybe I am just easy to please. As far as the subscription model, I am ok with it, I pay my money in November and forget about it's time for the shows to drop. It works and so far I get three shows that I am psyched with and one that I am ok with each year. If two out of three aint bad, three out of four is pretty good.

Interesting last 5 list, gotta dig Waylon Jennings he has some great stuff. I've been starting to expand my country music collection after checking out most of the recent Ken Burns documentary.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Jim, your analysis of the cd prices is spot on, I always balance the sticker shock of the boxes with the per disc price, and the per disc price is always reasonable even before considering the extras. And let's not forget, Dark Side of the Moon is fantastic, but new it is not. If you look at the price of new releases the per disc price often exceeds $11. As an example, look at the price of the remixed 50th Anniversary Abbey Road - $12.97, or look at the box sets released by other artists - when I looked at the price of the Pink Floyd Early Years box or the late years box, the dead boxes seem like a way better value. I mean Led Zeppelin, The Doors, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones all have box set versions of some of their single album releases and they look way more expensive per disc even if they do include a vinyl copy in some of them. And man, vinyl, talk about expensive...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

big into the national... not trying to be rude or dissenting probably mostly annoyed by the service ....the 87 show is hot cuz luv good west la...but i still can't reason with anyone that thinks this isn't unnecessary or overpriced regardless your 'numbers'.... and i knew the video would be as is, its just worse than i thought but will never watch again so no big deal like you said pretty much an extra. Just saying its like dead.net is like we'll release anything at any price and it will sell out... just think we should expect more or less without the hasslehoff

also:

JGB EEL 87
SVR blues at sunrise
Hag/Jones kickin out the footlights again
mad season rip layne staley

peace love safe travels open minds different thoughts builds concrete ideas

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The highlight of the JGB Eel box was the '89 show, and the highlight of this box for me is that first '89 show. A pleasing symmetry.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....not cheap. Tempted, but hard pass.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

garcailive 11 was big on bread box, he aint, and the hunter really hit the right spot overall good jammin

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KRIYAS

But come on, really? The mastering alone costs a f*load and these are not 'my numbers', they are the actual cost per disc. I, for one, am happy they released on BluRay simply because of the mega bump in sound quality especially for the one and only 48 track master reels they pulled this from.

I don't mean to argue and lets not let it turn into a tit for tat, but I just respectfully disagree. How much less could they charge before there just isn't enough left for production and they just transpose the reels to CD without any work going into the sound whatsoever? I mean who would notice besides.. say.. me? (and a few choice others with voices that resonate at a much higher frequency).

They cut corners on so many multi-tracks before this, shows that will likely never be revisited.. and it's a shame. The Hampton Warlocks shows, Spring 90 #1, 30 Trips and even E72 were hurried and the sound, as good as it turned out, could have been better. Cutting corners to keep box set prices low vs. spending the time the performances deserve.. I still say $11 a disc, free BluRay is a bargain.

If their production runs were in the millions, then, yes.. but … love ya man, but can we agree to disagree and move on? This is fairly priced.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

Anyone who was expecting great video quality on the blu considering the original source was setting themselves up for disappointment. The big attraction of the blu ray is NOT the video, but the audio. 48 track remix in LOSSLESS 5.1. The lossless track is what makes the blu ray such a fantastic addition. If you've got a nice home setup, the blu ray is not simply some "bonus" but a major selling point.

Oh, and this box is priced very fair and reasonable all things considered. Remixing these shows alone from the 24/48 tracks is not cheap and very time consuming. I believe they spent 6 months doing these 5 shows IIRC. I will happily pay for top notch mixing and audio quality every damn time thanks. As evidenced by the fact that this set sold out QUICK, I'm not alone in that and I hope we see many more future multi track releases which are the ultimate for audio. If you dont like it and cant appreciate the value, dont buy it and let someone else get it who will appreciate it. We should be applauding and rewarding these efforts because we are getting the music we love in the best possible sonic quality and again I will gladly pay for that EVERY DAMN TIME.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I'm not here for boring pictures and common cds that you can buy at 7/11 for 2 for 10 dollars in the clearance bin with the scented pink dice. I'm here for badass shows that most people would not appreciate. The box sets that you can open like a time capsule of our short youth. I always followed my father's advice. "When out with friends or girls always be generous and never quibble over money. It's better to pay the bill then argue over who ate what". He was and still is a great dad. P.S. I finally got to use the word 'quibble'.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html