• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I LOVE this box and I do think 7/1 may be my fave. I love the size of the box and I think the art work is THE best of all of the boxes. Just true Dead.

I am just finishing up the 2nd '77 box in the car and will then start the '78 box once again. In the house it has been nothing but the Giants box since it arrived. I have listened to the whole thing, in order 4-5 times. A truly outstanding box. I think the '89 shows may be my faves. If you have not yet pulled the trigger, and you love the Dead, you have got to jump on this while there are still some available.

Rock on

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by IanM

IANM

Just checked UPS tracking and I needed to pay £37.74 plus £11.50. It makes you wonder how they assess the charges? At least it is now paid for so I should see it tomorrow. It should be a good day.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Iko

even though the first time I heard MSWS 7/18/82 and on the subsequent tape of that show, I really liked it.

both are essentially two chords and a whole lotta choruses

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

One of my two box set orders came today for which no charges. The other is due tomorrow (according to an email but 3/10/2020 on the website!) for which I paid a little over £44. Go figure.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Some say Iko Iko but I say no. Women are Smarter run the Iko like a puppet show.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by frankparry

Frank/Colin,

My guess is that the correct charge should be 20% of the purchase price in VAT (sales tax) plus the UPS ripoff of £11.50. The (opened) commercial invoice attached to my copy was USD159.98 for the Bluray box which should make the VAT chargable at just under USD32.00 (£25.13 at today's exchange rate). So total charge should be in the order of £36 to £37. Slightly less for the DVD box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by IanM

Depends on the situation......played Women Are all the time, so Iko seemed like more of a treat, but I think I’ve seen/heard them rip it up more on Women are than Iko. Generally speaking, Iko seemed like more a novelty whereas Women Are they could really blast off i.,e 7/4/89, watch the fat man dance not just rock. He and Brentski seemed to really get into the song during this era.....downside they played it a lot, perhaps too much?

EDIt: slow dog, That’s Right!
Dennis, nice video, gotta dig little Mickey, er a little Ricky on the skins!

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

The box arrived today in Switzerland and I had to pay 35,55 Swiss Francs to UPS in charges.
But it doesn't matter how much I paid: I'm just happy, finally "in the shadow of giants"!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by SpaceBetween

I believe there is a show, can’t remember the date, with guests, I think members of the Neville Brothers, where the two songs were played back to back.

Glad to hear that boxes are showing up in Europe. Not sure that a VAT can be applied. What value was added by shipping it across the pond?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It may be called Value Added Tax but in this situation it is effectively just a sales tax. We pay no sales tax in America on items ordered from there but are obliged to pay it when the goods are imported to Europe.

Goverments have agonized endlessly over downloads. They are unable to find a way to tax them simply because they are unable to know about them.

Apparently my box has just landed in Germany and should be delivered tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by IanM

IANM

They can also charge 20% on the freight charge so that might explain why I had to pay more if the value on the package was shown differently. It’s all swings and roundabouts, sometimes you pay nothing and sometimes you do. At least we should all get the boxset soon.

Dave's Picks. As we look forward to 32, I was thinking where Dave would go for #33. Based on past experience the first picks of the year have been 77 (1, 25 and 29) 74 (9, 13) and 73 (5 and 21).
We know it won't be back to back 73 releases, so I have my money on another 77 release. Maybe late September or October? Unless Dave decides to buck the trend, how about a solid 87? So unlikely, but I would love it.

Right you are, Cone Kid. I was at this one... Ticket to New Years, but most of the third set was not included on the DVD.

12/31/87
Oakland Coliseum Arena - Oakland, CA

Set 1:
Bertha
Promised Land
Cold Rain And Snow
Little Red Rooster
When Push Comes To Shove
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Bird Song
The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:
Hell In A Bucket
Uncle John's Band
Terrapin Station
Drums
The Other One
Wharf Rat
Throwin' Stones
Not Fade Away

Encore (third set):
Man Smart-Woman Smarter
Iko Iko
Banana Boat Song
Knockin' On Heaven's Door

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks (not including 31 or 32)
Year: Total # of Releases/ How Many Releases since../Release.#
69: 2 / 21 / #10
80: 1 / 23 / #8
74: 4 / 14 / #17
81: 1 / 11 / #20
73: 3 / 10 / #21
78: 3 / 8 / #23
72: 3 / 7 / #24
71: 3 / 5 / #26
83: 1 / 4 / #27
76: 3 / 3 / #28
77: 4 / 2 / #29
70: 2 / 1 / #30

- 80 has only had only 1 release, 25 releases ago (including 31&32), so how about Gainesville? But probably not a 1st cycle choice...
- 69 has had 2, but not for 23 releases (including 31&32), Totally due!
- 74 has had 4, but not in 16 releases, how bout 7/25/74! DUE!
- 81 is due, but it won’t be the first cycle...
- 73 were getting next
- that pretty much leaves 72 or 78, the rest have been covered during the last couple years...
78 meh, plenty of 72 to break out! Perhaps some fall 72. What ever it is hopefully it will have a Dark Star.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

As always when this conversation comes up, and someone such as Oroborus kindly assembles a list, I am struck by the fact that there have been 0 releases from 68. Maybe the tapes aren't of good enough quality? However, based on previous series (Road Trips, Dicks,) there seem to be some out there. Perhaps all of the good ones have been mined? Dunno. I for one would like to see a release that features two of the shorter 68 shows... Primordial Dead emerging from the ooze...

Also, I've been really enjoying October 84 shows this month, including today's (10/15). I know there are issues with the recordings being on analog, etc. and I doubt it would be a first run of 2020, but 84 certainly has some killer stuff, and nary a Dave's to show for it!

And as always, what about Gainesville?!? We need a Shakedown in this series!

Peace

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Avalon Ballroom - San Francisco, CA

Disc 1

Set 1: 4-5-69

Dupree's Diamond Blues
Mountains Of The Moon
Dark Star
St. Stephen
Turn On Your Love Light

Set 1: 4-6-69

Good Morning Little School Girl
Beat It On Down The Line
It's All Over Now Baby Blue
I'm A King Bee

Disc 2

Set 2: 4-5-69

Hard To Handle
Cosmic Charlie
China Cat Sunflower
Doin' That Rag
Cryptical Envelopment
The Other One
Cryptical Envelopment
The Eleven
It's A Sin
Alligator
Feedback
And We Bid You Goodnight

Disc 3

Set 2: 4-6-69

Cryptical Envelopment
Drums
The Other One
Cryptical Envelopment
Death Don't Have No Mercy
Turn On Your Love Light

Encore:
Viola Lee Blues
What's Become of The Baby
And We Bid You Goodnight

Two complete shows from 1969.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

Some 69 too.

#33 FourWinds 69 selection
#34 68, 2 shows across 4 discs
#35 7-15-84
#36 Fall 72

I’m ready to subscribe!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Certainly nothing wrong with this version. This is the year they stretched out the early solo that starts around 3:30. In 1977 the solo lasted about 20 seconds; by Dick's Picks 18 it was almost 2 minutes in duration (Feb 3rd I believe). There is an intensity to the Garcia solo on DP 18 that builds to a fantastic crescendo......and then back into the reggae arrangement; and you can hear the crowd erupt in appreciaton of the rocket ride Jerry just took them on. I don't quiiiite get that out of 7/1, but I'll take just about any '78 Prophet over '77 in a steel cage match.

Iko Iko. I went to JFK on July 7th 1989 with no knowledge of the Grateful Dead except for Touch of Grey, Hell in a Bucket, and Throwing Stones. They opened with Hell in a Bucket - bit of a rocker. Seemed like any other concert as far as the crowd demeanor went. I wouldn't have known there was anything unique about the audience or the band except for the tye dyed apparrel, which I was kind of expecting. And the weed.

After Hell in a Bucket they booted up Iko Iko, and it was as though I'd walked through the wardrobe door into Narnia. The essence of 100,000 Dead Heads came to life across the stadium like a good vibe wave. I saw spinners, smokers, shakers, swayers - hands in the air like they just don't care - all in sync with this contagiously catchy rhythm and melody. And the band was.....what the f**k were they doing up there......yeah, no doubt about it, they were smiling. Having fun. Well shit I thought: if I could get old the way these guys were doing it, don't you know it's gonna be - alright.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....love the gift that arrived in my mailbox even more by a kind soul here, but I digress.
Spinning 2.27.69 for the first time.
....is it Iko or Aiko? Don't ask me. My tapes are pretty much 60/40 Aiko.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Love the '78 box, with 7/3 and 7/7 being my favorites of the bunch. Something about 7/7 though just puts it above the rest for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

Has anyone else in the UK been sent an imports fees invoice by UPS?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by BillN

BILLN

Yes. I was charged UKP37.37.

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid this as importation rules in the United Kingdom state that Value Added Tax (VAT, aka Sales Tax) and Customs Duty must be charged on the total cost (including shipping charges) of all goods arriving from outwith the European Union that have a value of more than UKP15.00. For CD's/DVD's, VAT in the UK is currently set at 20% but there is presently no Customs Duty.

My Giants box was sent with a declared total invoice cost of USD159.98 with no shipping cost meaning it attracted a 20% VAT charge of USD31.996 (around UKP25.11 at today's exchenge rate).

All delivery companies then add their own handling charge to cover the cost of collecting the Tax/Duty of behalf of the UK Government. UPS charge UKP11.50, DHL 11.00 and UK Royal Mail 8.00 at present.

What I don't understand is why different people here in the UK have been charged different amounts varying from no charge to UKP47.00.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Vguy, I can't let that question go unanswered a third time. Only Dick and Heady Version spell it Aiko. Oh, and all of the tapes that circulated in the pre-digital days.

I've had some opportunities to listen to a couple of near-entire releases lately. Geocery store Sunday night - DaP 30 sans the repeats. Went in reverse order (Cold Rain & Snow show first), but I have to admit, I did throw the Dark Star / St. Stephen / The Eleven trifecta into the mix early. While it usually takes me a couple hours to find everything on that damn list, I wasn't taking any chances on missing that group of songs.

Then at work I had a long stretch of time to work at my computer without any phone calls interrupting. I put in the Dave's Picks EIGHTEEN shows, also skipping the repeats. I have to admit I put all of it together in an alternate folder and included the Help / Slip / Franklin from opening night of that Orpheum run. It could have been there... It should have been there... The soundboard quality is almost as good as the release... It's there. And and it's a much better release for it. In situations like that I just make a whole new folder and throw it in my soundboard section. I can't very well have my digital library bastardize like that, so the original theatrical release is in its proper place. The moral of the story is oh, I forgot how great Garcia sounds on this release. Jeffrey Norman needs to listen to how loud Jerry is on this to track and then go back and remix all the multi-tracks with him that loud. Actually I take that back, just give me the multitrack tapes and I'll do the work. I've always been an advocate for releasing Europe 72 in computer software format so we can mix it ourselves. A little distortion here little reverb there..

And in the spirit of '71 I go with this concoction:

Dark Star => Wharf Rat 4/26/71
Dark Star 4/8/71

The 1971 dark stars were mostly shorter ones, as is the case with these two. I like mixing them together with that Wharf Rat in between to mimic Port Chester, 2/18/71. What you end up with is about 35 minutes of no-nonsense bliss.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Could be wrong, but, I believe "Little Ricky" wasn't Little Ricky, but a child actor who played the part!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

My copy, #3319, has arrived and looks good. I hope to get some time to listen to it in the next day or so. Thanks to everyone at dead.net for continuing to service our need for further releases. The DaP 2020 subscription should become available soon. That will bring the series up to the same length as DP’s.

My last few listens include:
A 5 cd box set of Morton Feldman’s piano music on the Another Timbre label.
Live in Hyde Park by Gong from their ‘Love from Planet Gong’ box set.
A Love Supreme by John Coltrane.
One World by John Martyn.
The Madcap Laughs by Syd Barrett.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My box arrived at the UPS depot in Rotterdam this morning. Had to pay 46.18 Euros - 30.45 Government charges, 13.00 Brokerage charges and 2.73 VAT. How that is arrived at I don't know, but I paid it online so no hassles with having to have the exact amount in cash at the door. Somewhat later in the morning the status of the delivery changed from "By the end of the day" to "Exception - Due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed". I guess that is a catch-all term that means that something has gone awry but they ain't gonna tell you what. I will wait and see what transpires, as if I haven't waited long enough already...

BILLN

We have to accept the random nature of charges on items coming into the UK. I bought the full ‘30 Trips around the sun’ and didn’t pay a penny in import charges, on another occasion I bought a single cd from bobdylan.com and for some reason once the handling charge was added to the import charge I paid more to collect it than to cost to buy it and have it posted to me..
I have come to accept whatever the charge is. I think I am probably still ahead overall on charges.
These charges are why I no longer order non-exclusive items from dead.net. The November release would cost me around £22 from dead.net when postage costs are added and there might be a further cost if the disc attracts import charges. The same disc is no more than £9.99 from Amazon.co.uk since I have a pre-order price guarantee which means it could get cheaper and I don’t have to pay any postage.

Good to see boxes begin to arrive outside the US. I hope your first listens will be in line with mine. Great sound, inspired performances.

I have to admit though.., this release is starting to lose it's new box smell. But with some deep tracks from '73 just two weeks away, I should be ok.

After a couple/few listens.. there is one small item that is beginning to agitate my skip finger.. I think I saw Throwing Stones>NFA a couple (or a couple dozen) times too many. I know there are many that really like these two songs, but to me it had become formulaic and predictable by the mid to late 80's... well, for me it just doesn't go down as my all-time favorite song duo. I'll take a GDTRFB>NFA over TS>NFA any day of the week. First world problems I know. Still, a big thumbs up on this box after a couple weeks of listening.

It also motivated me to hit a few other 80's shows. There were some high energy shows during this period. I didn't have my reading glasses on last night, and accidentally dialed the wrong show and hit play. I didn't start at the beginning rather post space, and then the fun was to try and figure out what show I was listening to. By the time She Belongs To Me came on, I knew it was Dick's Picks 21, 11/1/85. The Gimme Some Lovin' is pretty sloppy, but don't let that distract you from how high energy it is and even with some miscues they do a pretty good job of keeping it together and dialing the energy up. Jerry, in particular, kept things in high gear until the end until he delicately slides into She Belongs to Me. What a wonderful song. I wish they played this more than the ten times they did. And I forgot about the bonus tracks 9/2/80, Space>Iko Iko (that's how it was spelled on this release, but it was released posthumously after Dick left us)>Morning Dew>SleepyTimeInMD. I always liked this released, but I perhaps I am biased.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by BillN

Billn- got my second box today. First no charges, second £44 so balances out ok. Relieved. In a couple of weeks will probably forget that I promised not to buy 2020 DaP!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

...Missed this anniversary by one day but it's still close enough for a shout out - 10/15/89 is a pretty great show (IMHO) but is often overshadowed by it's fully-released brother, 'Nightfall of Diamonds'.

And contrary to Jimmy's stated lost love for TS > NFA, this one has it - but I am in the same camp Jimbo, I'll take a NFA > GDRFB any day . But this pairing does the job nicely, and the Not Fade Away is fairly jammed out. And who can really complain about a NFA chant to bring the boys back?

But the real treat for me is the Crazy Fingers as well as the Estimated > Eyes; I mean, check out Jerry's midi-work on that Estimated. He's playin' a frickin' xylophone at one point. Totally cool although not for everyone. The Eyes rips along nicely, too. I'm a sucker for said paring.

The first set is pretty good too - I always liked 'Let the Good Times Roll' as an opener - it, well, gets the good times rollin'. And, after a closer listen I'm now hearing the 'Victim or the Crime' here is the same one from Without a Net. Naughty, definitive. Which makes sense. Given that we know the next night's performance was recorded to 24-track, that means this show was too I would assume, in consideration of its appearance on W/O A Net. I'd love to see this one officially released. Would make a perfect companion piece.

https://archive.org/details/gd1989-10-15.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.8329…

Sixtus

Dennis, say it ain’t so, but right you are. All those years growing up watching Lucy we had no clue!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Keith_(actor)

9/2/80, believe that was my first Dew? Front row by Phil. First GA front row show, at good ole Crotchfester, and a real beauty eh! Wish they had the rest of the tapes for that one...
Stones/NFA; yeah, saw that combo a bit too much over the years. Like any, if the galaxy aligned and the Xfactor was working I liked any song they did, but sometimes it was “oh, bummer, not again” Eventually it got so formulaic that you could predict The second set, if not the whole show.....”oh, their doing the key of E stuff, and they did Dew last night, so bummer, Stones/NFA tonight boys”......or some such banter. For a while it was mostly the NFA we were tired of, but then Stones/Lovelight kinda took its place and Bob burned that out too, imho....
Sorry, don’t mean to be negative, just after 40 something years there are some tunes it helps to be in the mood for...
Anyway, so far that’s my only nit pick with this box, too many Stones/NFA....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I saw the guys numerous times, acoustic and electric, and they were always Hot!

Back in '75 they had a habit of playing all night. They played at my college, and at midnite they went off and they asked the TPTB if they could continue all night. They were told no, but that they could play one more song as an encore. So they came out and played one more tune FOR AN HOUR! Lol. The whole show, J & J were drinking something out of this bong type thing, so maybe that had something to do with their stamina! We were talking to them back stage and Jorma dropped his guitar pick. As he bent to reach for it, my friend stepped on his hand! I thought the whole show was going up in smoke! But no damage was done.

Saw them in 2001 at the Kent Community Center in Kent, CT. Google that place! You cannot even believe anybody would play there. We were in the 2nd row. They had a stage that was about 2 feet off the ground. It was just Jorma & Jack on 2 folding chairs, playing acoustic. AMAZING! It was like seeing them in my living room. I think these guys aged better then JA did.

Rock on

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Funny to hear Gimme Some Lovin' and Throwing Stones in the same discussion, since I downloaded the two of them on the same day several years ago. There was a time when I was a casual Dead fan, and I had just recently picked up on the Jam in the middle of Throwing Stones. So like the addictive personality I am, I went in online to supplement my collection of Dead music, which at that time was pretty much all of the nationally released multi-tracks.

The Throwing Stones were all pretty good, but I enjoyed the Download Series best, with the Reprise. Some fine fine synth support while Jerry tears up the solo, and then there's another 5 minutes of the jam in the Throwing Sones "reprise", which is really just visiting the jam portion of the song again. This is glue. Strong stuff.

I downloaded the following in that period:

Dick's Picks 21:
* Gimme Some Lovin'
* Gloria"

Dick's Picks 17:
* Throwing Stones
* The Mighty Quinn

Dick's Picks 27 :
* Throwing Stones
* Baba O'Riley
* Tomorrow Never Knows

Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 2
* Throwing Stones

Download Series 11:
* Throwing Stones
* Throwing Stones [Reprise]

In The Dark Bonus Track:
* Throwing Stones (Live)

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I agree with Sixtus this was a sneaky hot show that got overshadowed by the next night.

Good Times -> Aiko opener was so much fun
Very good Victim and SOTM
Not a clunker in set 2

If they would have played the Let it Grow that Bobby started to go into after STOM would have been even better!

Great call Sixtus!

So about that DSO show in Pittsburgh. I had a blast! Lost my voice and sore as heck the next day from dancing. Met some kind folks too. As for the music I think the songs are very well played. Can’t wait to see them again. My lingering thought is how lucky I was to have seen the real thing 🙂✌🏻

I ended up having to be in DC Saturday, so no DSO Saturday for me. Next year for sure.

Love the Hot Tuna discussion. Great band with lots of history. They put out an under the radar CD called and Furthurmore about 20 years ago that never seems to come up in discussion, but I'd personally put it above Burgers. I think it was recorded during the 1998 Furthur Festival tour or something like that. Long out of print, but I bet of you poke around it will present itself...

Hot Tuna seems to be putting out newly released digital only shows like mad these days.. It seems every other day Tuna or King Crimson are letting something slip out of their vault.. Perhaps I should start buying more of them..

Good timing for a palate cleanser, no new GD music for a couple weeks...

https://www.amazon.com/Furthurmore-Hot-Tuna/dp/B00001U05F/ref=sr_1_1?ke…

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I forgot about that one KF, thanks for the reminder. I just put on the whole kit 'n kaboodle. I think '91 was their best year since '77.

KF that ppst you wrote with list of Philly shows you went to. You seriously had tickets to a Motley Crue show and didn't go in so you could do balloons? Did you just lose track of the time or what happened that's crazy.

Jim I did not picture you as a reading glasses guy :8

user picture

Member for

7 years

Your from Sudbury right? You feeling this rain/wind storm? 10-4 in Framingham.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by carlo13

Springfield

Just saying

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Theres a lot of CRAP on TV

user picture

Member for

7 years

It's Iko Iko on this box set. Weird how they change the spelling of it from time to time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Down in Stamford CT for work, wow what a storm and wind and rain the last 5 hours!!! What a way to end the first set of this show. I was there, wet cold and tired after the first hot day followed by two days of non stop rain!! Lawn seats so no shelter.... Watch it on Youtube..Jerry's vocals on Desolation Row will just melt you if you have never listened to this version or not a fan of this song. Just listen to "Between the windows of the sea where lovely mermaids flow".... with Jerry singing along.. And then the Deal is just insane... the jam is awesome... my friend from Vermont that was with me was cooked and wanted to leave, and i said you won't want to after you hear this song....... we didn't.. be safe New England friends... Bob t

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html