• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane (spinning now), nice album from start to finish.
Aoxomoxoa 50th Anniversary - Grateful Dead, first listen to the '69 mix and it sounds noticeably different than the '71 mix to my ears
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, some cool jammy stuff on here.
Who's Next - The Who, almost like a greatest hits collection
7/10/89 from this Box - Grateful Dead, this is another excellent sounding show. This box has exceeded my expectations for both sound quality and show quality and it's not like my expectations were low.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Coming back to the anniversary thing, being caught up into this Giant's Stadium box, one favorite date, for one of a couple of reasons, the first being 9/27/72 Stanley Theatre a/k/a Dick's Picks 11.

I ordered this on TV when Dick Latvala actually appeared for this one pick on QVC, a television network that sells stuff. I recorded it on VHS as well. Kind of a funny one-off sales attempt. It could have been PBS (I don't recall, have to find the tape).

Most Dick's Picks were usually advertised in the GD Almanac for years, so this was a change of pace.

The 9/27/72 Stanley Theater show speaks for itself. Right up there with the best of 72. This concert also happened to land on my 5th revolution around the Sun (the Deads 7th) so it's a personally significant date.

Very different sound from '72 to '87-'91, but in both instances the Dead seemed to excel in Jersey, even though I recollect stories of harsh security. Never got to attend a North East Coast show, but the energy is undeniable, even on tape.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

That 7 9 89 show ia great

When i heard the nfa, i was truly, pleasantly surprised

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

No sooner than I said that I hadn’t had a reply to my query about downloading than I got new download instructions which worked! Now to listen.

JOEINCANADA, my boxset is also still processing for dispatch to the UK, somehow it's the 'way they do these things' makes no sense to me, it may even have been dispatched, contrary to what we read.
SPACEBROTHER, I too enjoyed listening to the Dicks Picks 11 on yesterdays anniversary, I was thinking that it may even surpass any of those '72 shows in my Desert Island Box, there is such an urgency to the playing. I enjoyed the starter of that show Morning Dew, and the 30 minute Dark Star. DP17 was no slouch either a couple of days back.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Saw some renowned shows, but no security problems there. Well, maybe one small one of our own making; I'll get to that last.

Saw Rush 2nd level 1st row, overlooking Geddy Lee, Roll the Bones tour '92 or thereabouts. Only time I ever had to see them from the 2nd tier, but the sound and view were perfect. My brother and I had no weed, but some girls behind us did. Whew, close one. I had always wanted to hear Analog Kid in the 4 tours I'd been following them, and my brother wanted to hear Vital Signs. They didn't play either on the 1st leg of the tour, which we saw in Philly. Rush almost never switched up the setlist in the middle of a tour. To our delight they played them back-to-back. I sat there with my head in my hands, the weed taking hold, yelling "I can't believe they're playing this!" Then my older brother got his Vial Signs. Xanadu came later. Man oh man what a show. I remember the view of the stage from up there was interesting; Rush had this black and white wavy line stage floor that tour, and the lasers and lights gave my stoned eyes some great visuals. No security issues.

Saw Metallica/ Guns 'N Roses at Giants Stadium in the summer of '93. Was so into G'NR after Use Your Illusions came out. Halfway through the second set somebody allegedly hit Axl in the nuts with a lighter and he walked off stage. Concert over. This is one of the famous shows I think I talked about in those days for Axl's shitty behavior; this walkoff incident at The Meadowlands even made it into an end of year article in Life magazine. The fuckers came on an hour and a half after Metallica too. Faith No More have played first as well, so they didn't even come on stage until around 12:30am. No security issues. Well, Axl may contend there were some security issues.

Saw Rush again on the Test for Echo Tour. I had already seen them three times on that tour already, the first from the second row at the new Spectrum. Maybe it was the old Spectrum I don't remember. They were playing 2112 in its entirety for the first time ever that tour that, as kind of a 20th anniversary commemoration of the album. Not that it was unusual to see them multiple times on a tour, it was in fact the norm, but I think that was the first time I'd seen them 4 times on one tour. No security issues.

Saw KISS on New Years Eve on their Reunion Tour in '97ish. We made it onto Dick Clark's Rockin New Year's Eve. No security issues.

Once had a bear security issue at AC/DC. My buddy and I couldn't find any weed in the parking lot, but a guy had mushrooms. My dopey buddy put them in his front pocket. Of course they found them. You know how packed full of people gets at the security checkpoint. The guy knew we were together and said to stand where we were. He turned to his nearby manager with the mushrooms in hand and began explaining that he found them all my buddy. For a good 5 Seconds they left my buddy with no eyes on him. He just disappeared into the crowd. They started making their way after him and then I just disappeared into the crowd. We met up at our seats with no mushrooms, and probably about a hundred bucks in the hole for post concert balloons, but we had no problem finding other generous smokers in our section. Yeah, the Meadowlands...

And then there's the Foolish Heart from 7/10/89. I don't know much about 80s Dead, but I've been hugely familiar with Foolish Heart since it came out. This is the best one I've heard, and I have a folder full of them. Jerry's vocals are so good. It's a little extra long. And of course the sound is incredible. And the Warlocks box is no slouch of a version. I always wonder if Brent wrote the keyboard melody. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any writing credits on that one. But it is much more prominent than Garcia's guitar.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

I'm still waiting the new download files despite being promised them within 3 business days on Tuesday. Aside from threatening a PayPal claim, does anybody else have any idea how to get them?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Came yesterday. Nice box. Last side of last album has dancing bears embossed in it, very nice.

I'm assuming the sound is GREAT,,,, still no turntable :-( , but the box is nice,,, really, nice box.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

this one is going fast, I highly recommend anyone and everyone who wants one of these to pick it up now, or miss out. These will be gone by Thanksgiving and they will cost a small fortune by Christmas (at least double the original cost).

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by dtuck90

I received a new email this past Thursday for the Giants Stadium download. It came from Warner Music Redemption Store. I could not get it to work on a Mac. I had to open it in Windows.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Erikandjenn

Eric, that's a freaking hoot.. how on earth did you find that?

user picture

Member for

7 years

Wow!! That is real hip. Jerry's alligator guitar from graham nash is so cool along with the 60s amps is just out of sight.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

That QVC upload from a couple weeks ago is hilarious! Did anyone else catch the Dicks Picks 1-6 Set for $87.50?! I'm gonna try calling that number with an order number and start making some demands.

user picture

Member for

15 years

i wonder if it's going to ship? Sep 29 and my order status is 'not yet shipped'. I truly regret having ordered this record from this website. Will not make this mistake again.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by direwulf

Just ordered DiP 1-8, thanks for the incredible score. I called the number, Steve Parrish answered the phone, it's in the mail. Great score, many thanks.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by direwulf

Double Post

I can't wait till we see the Dave's Picks series come up on QVC. Do you think they will offer Dave's Picks 1 - 6 for $87.50?

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

you called that number today? got thru and made and order? that is so cool, I will call now. thanks Eric

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Anyone finding a slight jump at the 3:30 mark of the 6/17/91 CD1? If it's on all the discs, then I won't bother pursuing a replacement. Too bad it's right in the middle of Jerry's jam; if it were in a singing verse, I probably wouldn't care at all . . .

Very cool set, overall . . .

Go Twins--beat the Damn Yankees!

DSO at First Ave. tomorrow--yay!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Woke up this morning to snow on the ground and more snow coming down. I guess fall has been cancelled in Montana this year.

I almost found myself watching an hour of vintage QVC last night, thanks Erik and/or Jenn, cool link. Dick's pitch on QVC is briefly referenced in Jesse Jarnow's book Heads so I was really tempted to keep watching and get a first hand look at the event. I may return for another look.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by CaseyJanes

...a fellow member of this board just brought to my attention. Caceyjanes, is this post Directed at me? Grateful yours, lovemygirl 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

....no. not that kind. Back in 2006 (?), Dead.net had a sale. Dick's 26-30 for I think around $90. Good times.
I jumped on those dicks. No regrets.
I have a stepdaughter in eastern Washington State. No fall there either. Today's high in Las Vegas besides me? 76 degrees. Ahhhh....

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

#04245 strolled in late Friday. Finally had a chance to scan the cover art for anybody who's interested:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rk5mt19fr53lvx6/AACm_sy8kujzqagZd3DQOWuBa?dl…

I've been spongeing up early commentary around here and will leave the informed reviews to the pros. But the box! . . . A few words on the physical box are in order for those awaiting delivery (or still on the fence). As soon as the Giants Stadium Box emerges from the clever exo-skeleton it ships in, it begins dazzling. The box itself is compact (cigar box sized if you know what that means). It's been impressively Art Directed/Designed by Lisa Glines & Doran Tyson. The main box is printed on prismatic foil that begins to "come on" warmly as soon as you wave it around in the light. Flip open the magnetic lid, and you'll find a fat, sturdy, ribbon-accessed spiral bound book – really it's more of a cool, quirky, flippable collage – with Gary Lambert's and Jesse Jarnow's stories woven in. I haven't read the articles yet ;-), but multi-media translucent art overlays, illustrations, fold-outs, tons of photos plus the book's well-conceived and executed design make this a trip that's definitely worth taking over and over. Finally the five Grateful Dead shows and DVD/BluRay make their appearance and it's time the rip, listen and soak up the music. Which I'll do as soon as I hit "save" and play a friendly(?) round of recaptcha. Oh, and if you're really still on the fence, I'm a tie-dyed-in-the-wool, second-set-seventies kind of head, but you still probably should pul the trigger on this one while you can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 1 month

Does anyone else's Blu Ray not work? Whenever I try to play it on my 4K UHD player, it pretty much immediately spits it out and says the disc's format could not be supported.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I checked my br and it plays ok.

Wow this box, physically, is a work of art. I'm so impressed. So many sweet photos. Sounds sweet, too. Listening to the first 89 show, yow!

nitecat

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Erikandjenn

....or both. not sure who I'm talking to, but my new Onkyo was $220 including shipping. Bluetooth. Godsend. I first saw I on QVC. So I jumped.

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

Quality just keeps getting better and better. I particularly enjoy how pronounced Bob's playing is in my left ear, just like last year. Going back to previous releases like Spring 1990 I can hear him with head phones but nothing compares to these shows.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by phil_head

....new Billy Strings record is manna from heaven. Noticed he's touring the West. Dodged Vegas. Shame.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Go to nugs.net and type "free download" into the search window. There's a fantastic Billy Strings show waiting to be had. Govt. Mule and some others as well.
Hope all is well.
:O)

Thanks, ERIKANDJENN for the youtube clip, I never knew that existed, and thinking of what JIMINMD said regarding the Daves Picks, this will never happen, however, this could play out the same way as the Fillmore Boxset with the limited edition numbers. They could also be released as a limited number in a vinyl format, I would definitely be interested in Volume 1 and that '74 Bonus disc.
Still no news COLINGOULD on the Giants Box, they are still processing orders for the UK according to my order, and when I ordered last month it stated it would be shipped in late September, but as noted before, who knows it could be on route to us after all, the delivery process works in a mysterious way, I'm hoping for a DHL delivery after that last fiasco.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I received and am going through the shows and DVD. I'm super impressed with the mix on everything and quality of the sound. Super excited and thanks to Dave and his crew for this treat. Each show puts a huge smile on my face!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

This boxset and the quality is really super pleasing!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Diggey

Try a firmware update.....sometimes if your player is older and/or hasn’t had a firmware update in a while you’ll have issues with newly released discs....depending on your player it can be as easy as just going into the players menu, not the disc. Old and/or cheap players may require using a computer. You should be able to look up your unit online for directions........good luck, hope this helps.

EDIT: thanks E&J for the qvc clip, priceless! Who knew Big Steve was such an actor? Must of been those Saturday night live performances, rubbing elbows with Belushi et el

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

My son surprised me with this box (love that kid!), and while I'm not the biggest 80s or 90s fan (right, I'm one of THOSE), the sound quality is crazy good. Ditto the artwork and overall box design.

Great stuff.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

After hearing Uncle John's Band on the Rolling Stone magazine listening party link, I knew I was going to love it, and it' been kind like bud to me. I'm like a blind man in this era, so all I can say that others have not is that I love the dual keyboard players and backup vocal textures. Am I correct in assuming that both Bruce and Vince are singing? And does anyone know who is playing the notes and who is laying down the ethereal sustained synth chords? And final question until I pick up a copy of "Post-Godchaux For Dummies" - is Bruce on any of the 30 Trips shows? Anyway, I can't say enough about how good Jerry sounds both vocally and on guitar. Brown-Eyed Women has a great solo from him, which alas, one of the keyboard players is playing on top of him (probably my only complain about the show). The Truckin' vocals haven't sounded this good on the chorus since 1974. Just saying. Eyes of the World is a gem right? I'm not wrong about that? New Speedway Boogie is one of my all time favorite 60s Dead tunes so I was eagerly awaiting that one. I guess as a person who is primarily familiar with the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, I found the overall sound much more electronic and synthy than what I am accustomed to, and that is a nice change in repertoire. I don't remember them sounding like this in 95. That could be entirely due to the mix though.

Big thanks for the album artwork Jeff. You've single handedly pushed back my day of reckoning for buying a scanner - going on 5 yrs now. I'm primarily a Digital Man, so my audio files must sound lossless and my visuals must be hi-res.

I had a great day on the headphones at work today. I got the entire 1991 show in, and as well as the closing of winterland from end-to-end. Now that's been a while! Man they were on that night. Keith was brilliant while he was awake. Stagger Lee and Miracle are soooo well executed (and I think Bobby actually sounds pretty good on the slide). And I love the Dark Star. I know some people find it a little bit simple and non-explorative, but that's what I like about it - Jerry noodling away against the main Darkstar melodie that Keith and Bobby are holding down, and then they get into my second favorite post hiatus Other One (DP18 holds honors). And Phil sounds incredible the whole night, turned up nice and loud on account of the multitrack. Scarlet Fire is a great one to my ears.

Also got in half of To Terrapin 77 (5/28). There few shows from 77 that have a different sound to them then the rest of the bunch, and this is one of them. I think it's a combination of some extraordinary separation plus a matrixy quality. I bought this one when it was released and was completely blown away by the Sugaree & the Terrapin Station. And the Samson & Delilah has this incredible synergistic moment between Bobby and Donna - great God Almighty talk wooo!

Yeah I'm in a strange 1977 1978 mood. I did some "Return to Normal with the Grateful Dead" on the drive in today (i.e Normal Illinois, DaP 8 I believe). Some great stuff in there. It was weird - for a moment Werewolves, which is played kind of slowly here, sounded like Althea in the beginning. The Music Never Stopped is as mesmerizing as ever in the mini-jam from 3:45-5:45 approximately. Dig the Scarlet Fire and Terrapin Station as well. Let It Burn. Let It Burn, Let It Burn.

Oh man I've done it again. This post is just a bunch of pure rambling about a couple of great concerts. I listened to the Colgate show from 77 on the way home and man how quickly I forget - this one's great too. The Stella Blue is worth the price of admission. I think it's the best show they did in the Autumn of 77 that has been released.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Don’t comment very often and hadn’t seen it mentioned yet, but couldn’t help but notice in the very nicely done book that came with the Giants box, in the back where it lists the members of the band Brent was left out....... Otherwise have to say this is my new favorite of all the boxes I have gotten. Which is them all minus Europe ‘72 and 30 Trips.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Nice Rush reference Kiethfan2112. Been picking up some Rush lately to replace some things I had ages ago on cassette or to fill in some blank spaces.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

.... top three Rush for me.
And yes. The powers that be left the Brentster out. Shame.
But the foldout on page 93?! Hell. Yeah. 🍻

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

I read the posts from the bottom up and was getting ready to say that Blu-Ray players need occasional firmware updates to fix bugs, add features, and optimize compatibility. But Oborious has it covered. That should get yours working.

KF I listen to Closing of Winterland a lot. I don't think any single show comes close im '78. I don't know if you were joking, I think you were half serious about Keith playing brilliantly when he was awake. It cracks me up when people take a few comments from Phil Lesh, Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia about how Keith wasn't as good after the 74 break, and they turn that into the reason 1978 was such an awkward year. If you take time to dig up interviews with people close to band including Donna herself, it was more about the offstage drama their marriage had become and the finger pointing in all directions for why they sounded like shit all the sudden. With four original members, of course it was the Godchauxs who had to leave. To say Keith wasn't playing like he did in '73 is a half-truth. He wasn't playing like he used to because half the improv songs he used to stretch out on were ditched for more streamlined arrangements. Also, lol, they took his fucking piano away from him. That will change your style eh? And they changed the basic landscape of the old songs by filling them with loud simple drum beats that literally left him no space to play in. Pity really. I'm not testifying that he didn't ever nod off, I'm just letting you know there is not really any evidence of him playing poorly, only of having his role diminshed. Whew got that off my chest.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Exile On Main St.

Bruce is with the band on the 91 30 Trips show and the 92 show. The 91 show is great and also has Bradford M.
Busy Monday for you. I am jealous.

Looks like 10,000 was the magic number for Rhino as this one will be gone soon.
If you are on the fence, get it, you won't be disappointed.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Bruce also played on the 1990 European tour, and is present and correct at Paris in 30 Trips.

I think I have said before, it was very surprising at London that year when the first sets on 30/10 and 11/1 ended with Bruce songs-Valley Road and Stander on the Mountain. I had no idea who he was at the time, and had never heard either song before.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Thanks Deadvikes and Daverock. I just so happen to have purchased 30 Trips Around the Sun. Man that was the fun box to receive. When I'm old and senile I'm going to buy it again. I think the only 90s I listened to out of that bunch was 90 and 95.

I also bought Dick's Picks 27 several years back. I think that's also 1991, but I don't recall it sounding quite like this June show from the Giants Stadium box - could just be my foggy memory. That's the one I bought in my Throwing Stones phase. Back in the eighties when it was on the radio all the time, I somehow missed the bad ass Jam in the middle. So I had this phase where I was gathering all live versions of Throwing Stones to me. To be economical about it I was just downloading individual songs. But when I got to Dick's Picks 27 I saw what a killer setlist it had throughout - Shakedown Street, Baba O'Riley / Tomorrow Never Knows, Dark Star, Let It Grow, Loose Lucy, and my all-time favorite Brent era song, Feel Like a Stranger (side note: for my taste, the synthesizer he uses on Feel Like a Stranger from that early Dave's Picks at the Fox in Atlanta - a Moog of some flavor, or I'm no prog rock enthusiast - is the penultimate sound for that killer riff, and the BOAT version of that song). I wonder who wrote that riff? While it's played on keyboard, Brent doesn't have any writing credits.

Exile, yes I was making a well-intentioned wisecrack about my good friend Keith Godchaux. How do I know he's a good friend? Because I love him and Bill Graham introduced him as "Friends of yours and mine at multiple shows. I actually couldn't agree with you more. I think the shifting landscape in the Grateful Dead's music it was probably the single biggest factor that made him leave the band. And the off stage acrimony with Donna must have cemented the bands desire to move on. You said it best - the guy was a piano player who excelled in that hugely open one drummer environment. If you listen to shows year by year from 72 through 78, you can hear the walls closing in on him.

I'm dipping into Dicks Picks 24 this morning. Can't beat those rare Playing / Uncle / Dew / Uncle / Playings. Morning Dew was a juggernaut in 1974.

Charlie and Vguy - good catch on the Digital Man reference. Signals is indeed the underground classic. It makes me a little doubtful about their choice to stop using Terry Brown as a producer. They definitely had many many great songs after that, but did they really have another album as good as Signals? I think they came the closest With Clockwork Angels their Swan Song. The funny thing about that record is that most 70s and 80s records were 40 to 45 minutes long. There is easily 45 minutes of fantastic material on Clockwork Angels, but then there are four or five throwaways in my mind. Less is more. Funny how that works.

user picture

Member for

8 years

“””cast ......””Victim Of The Blind”””.....cJ”””.....🤧😵😷🤔😲🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥
“"LMG-so sorry to hear of your ongoing health issues. I will continue to pray for the return of all of your faculties.”””

Here’s a sad, but very true story:

“”””””””””Recently I was ripped off buying some art from a man whom I thought I had “friended” on a similar board such as ours. The man was selling some art pieces in efforts to raise money for his medical bills. I felt sorry for this man and purchased three of the pieces that he was peddling. I paid the agreed upon amount of money which was $950.00 but when the check was cashed and the package arrived the first two items were not as described and did not look like the pictures that were sent to me. The third promised item was not there at all. Funny thing is, on the day when I reached out to this man about discrepancies and missing item, he feigned blindness caused by his medical issues. When I further inquired, he feigned ignorance of the emails,and agreements that I had, and still have in writing. It was at that point when it dawned on me that this man was telling the truth. He was blind after all, and truly did not see. I have never met the man in person so I can’t comment as to the condition of his eyes, but my guess is that they are dark.””””””😳

Whoa o what I really want to know...is this man The Victim or the Crime? or maybe I was the victim of The Blind? or possibly I was a victim and now I’m the crime?””””"”””””””””””

“””””No matter.... and Whatever the case....Please don’t murder me...I can’t prevent the crime but I can certainly warn the potential victims...you know better, but I know him, or perhaps, I know better but you know him.

Lord I hate bus driving....think I hit a bump back there.....Somebody take the wheel....

Here’s some tips for driving and buying shit from art peddlers on the internet:

Make sure to read all the signs...
Of course no texting, but try to read between “”the lines....
Beware of the wolf appearing so dire, he collects his dues while we sing round the fire!”””
Everything I pasted from a quota from kCJ. on thisboard ... kcJ —-this s a load s—-! Your an ungrateful human being an A liar . Idid no such thing.!!!Your remark is totally a figment in your really childish brain and thinking & paractise. /on your part.so Your-our New Doc?! your a doctor in you MAS delushes Of grander ...a doctor now!? Ha ha that made me laugh.yo have a Robles with m , you know how toreach me. To post something in nature on this publiclyboardis uncalled for, Rude and False - your the liar you brother. Lu treat me like a stranger and mak PZoST irs , reliable from your twisted form of thinking! Rave me be and go in Peacemy brother I wish no harm or ill tidings. I’m finished with this redicilas accusation never been any time since I’ve been a member on this board for year did something like this ever occur it’s just crazy??? I guess being KIND and Giving can come back and bite one in their ass, “”money Bears Soul Every Time” . “Money Beats Soul;”” Every dame time, Money Beats Soul”! 🙏❤️💀🌹😕

Rock on and be well Dead People!

KCJ

Edit: Bully’s suck, but liars and thieves are worse...

September 26, 2019 - 3:27pm#100
Forensicdoceleven

It Takes A Long Time To Become Young
Major Bob Weir fan here, IN the context of Grateful Dead.

Always liked Bobbie's "Cowboy songs", LOL they were always my guilty pleasures, considered them a valuable component of our musical heritage, both inside and outside of the Dead. My & My Uncle was the all time most frequently played song by the Dead, never had a problem with that...…………

Also like Victim as well as Picasso Moon, found them a little more interesting than the new Hunter-Garcia material of that era. Just one man's humble opinion...…………….

Not sure about starting petitions to "ban" certain songs, but if I never heard Day Job again it would be too soon...…….

Rock on, rockers!!!!!

Doc

« First << … 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 … >> Last »

Who Are You?
Where Are You?
How Are You?

Be the first to know about the Grateful Dead’s exclusive limited-edition releases, breaking news on the band, community events, and so much more. It’s all happenin’!

DEADDead.netNET

STORE ARCHIVE NEWS DEAD 101 COMMUNITY
Help/Customer Service Order Status My Cart
Privacy Policy Terms Of Use Cookie Policy Sitemap Feedback

Sirius XM

© 2019 The Grateful Dead
X

Get on the list!
Be the first to know about the Grateful Dead’s exclusive limited-edition releases, breaking news on the band, community events, and so much more. It’s all happenin’!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Keeping you honest keithfan - Dick's Picks 27 is actually a late '92 show, and Bruce had departed at that point (actually he left early on in the year around March I believe). So no Bruce on that pick, but it was among the first we had heard (I think) with the new lone pianer-player, Vince.

There is a massive Phil-bomb that he drops at the beginning of Shakedown Street on that album that can blow your subwoofer if you have it turned up to 11. You will know that I'm talking about if you attempt to do this.
Advice: Do This.

Sixtus

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html