• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

10-29-77 is a reasonably good show but I understand where you are coming from. Personally the second set of 10-30-77 does more for me. I love the second set Peggy-O and then the Playing sandwich. I wish Dave used that for filler on the 10-29 release.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

My listening notes ask if 10/29/77 isn't the "Grate-est show ever?"!!

I'm in on the Dark Star box. I wouldn't even mind if it were JUST scintillating Dark Stars; skip any surrounding material that isn't A+. I just ordered a used copy of Grayfolded; never heard it before . . .

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

American Beauty and 2/18/71 never sounded better. When the opening notes of Box of Rain hit, it's like everything in the world is going to be okay . . .

p.s. Going to be okay, like when Lindsay WEIR (there MUST have been a Deadhead writer . . . ) skips out on summer Future Leaders of America camp to take off on Dead tour after her high school counsellor loans her his American Beauty LP. (Freaks and Geeks, anyone?)

p.p.s. Hah! Turns out that Dave mentions that episode of F&G in the liner notes. :)

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

WOW! This is the type of pressing that gets people strung out on vinyl! So crystal clear, this thing is such a beautiful pressing!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I once-again donated to Archive.org, then ordered some 400i's to listen to the Archived shows through.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

... for next years box i would love an 80’s themed Boxset , kinda more warfield flavored. Combining Acoustic/electric performances from/by the dead
And also let’s throw some Dylan & the Dead collections during next years “to do list.”
I would also love a box covering more 72’ !
To be completely honest, I want more Pigpen! I always desire primal dead above all else! But with our two 71’ concerts included into Two 50th anniversary releases this year , it reminded me how much I love 71’! I’d be a very grateful DeadHead for an 1971 Boxset as well, lol but then 89’ always makes my nose twitch ! Lmao, Wait also are we not also due for an other Boxset Part Too ?! Holy Toledo, BatMan!
, whatever what may lay ahead for us fans, I do myself like everything seems to be in my life.keep an open minded trip! Take care & keep on trucking!🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Re the RFK box: it is indeed Brenty, for better or worse. But what I wanted to say about it is that I now own it largely as a result of Dead.net actually functioning like a normal website!

A couple months ago, I was perusing the listing for RFK, and it said it was out of stock but I could give 'em my email and they would message me when they got it back in. So I gave 'em my, and they then they actually did message me! So I ordered it, and about a week later, it actually arrived! Holy Jeebus, I thought, does this mean Dead.net is actually getting its proverbial shit together?

And, around the same, I received a notice that they were refunding the payment I'd sent some months before for vinyl version of the Warfield acoustic thing. Because it was out of stock, and they didn't know if they would ever get it back, so here's yer money back, it said. Not only that, they gave me a discount code for 10% off my next order to make up for any inconvenience or whatever. Which on the one hand was kind of disappointing, but at the same time, it seemed like progress. They actually CONTACTED ME about a problem, and then DID SOMETHING to make it right! Oh yes they did.

So I'm thinking, "well, maybe after all complaints, they've finally gotten a bit more organized." And I decide I might as well go ahead and order the CD version of the Warfield stuff, and use the discount. Well, it's now been three weeks since I put my money down, and except for the initial "thanks for your order!" autobot email, I haven't heard anything. Not shipping notice, no explanation for the non-shipment, nada.

Some things never change.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Yesterday AB50, today DaP36! Woo-hoo! I also grabbed that Songs for Groovy Children by Hendrix and Television's Marquee Moon. I had and sold Marquee Moon many moons ago (har.), but thought I would give it another try since so many of you relish it.

Happy Halloween!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I missed out on RSD because of my kid’s sports. Those funds were donated to the archive. Please make it a point to give. We all use the site.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....they have a section called Internet Arcade that is pretty fun.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Dave revealed some interesting information on tonights Shakedown Stream regarding the multitrack left from the 1980 Warfiend and Radio City runs. "There is definitely material available from the run, a fair amount.. half or more.. but in the case of complete shows, reel one, four, seven might not be available."

Not sure what that means or if / how it will translate. He also mentioned they have more two track cassette masters available also.

I would have to think at some point they release more of this material, and if they are able to cobble together some of the multitrack, I would expect this to get box set treatment if possible, if it's too segmented perhaps some record store day releases.

Dave,
Box up all the multi-tracks and video that you have.
Include all the stereo recordings too on separate CD’s.

My credit card is waiting........

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I for one really enjoy the two acoustic sets from the Warfield run released last year. Plus, I have the original/expanded release of the acoustic sets.

There's a lot of love for those runs and so, YES, JimInMD, I think many of us would enjoy a curated output from what's left of the tapes -- more than half is left? Comb it for the rarer songs and best performances, subtract what's been released and let's proceed to rock!

Um, that's AFTER next year's '72 box............. or ANY Pigpen-related releases.

(Ah the joy, but picky, picky, picky!!!)

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Uuumm . . . Let's just say that it doesn't sound like the '87 show from the Giants Box. And you might appreciate the sound on 2/18/71 a tad more than the sound on DaP36. :) Fans of audience tapes will enjoy this release a lot.

High energy, though!

p.s. I'm only commenting on the sound; I haven't listened to enough of either show to comment on the performances.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Fuck Trump. I have children.

Go ahead, cry about my post for every reason and all, there's a box of Kleenex over there on the end table.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by LedDed

Apologies for giving you the impression I was remotely interested in US politics here in Blighty.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

If you're gonna do that, I recommend that you give him an enema first.

KeithFan, I still hold that single disc up against any other single disc officially released. To my ears, the only disc that might top it is disc 3 of 4/8/72.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by lebowski99

Agreed, agreed
With what that one guy said
His name rhymes with RedHed
His name rhymes with RedHed

This new Daves is potent
You do need to adjust yourself to the audience factor

But once you have done that, you have pure GD energy

4 15 78 is next
All the golden yummies

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The RSD release last credited ABCD so was hoping and wondering if they could piece together a box of complete shows from these two venues.

I didn't catch the Shakedown Stream but remember Dave mentioning work on the next box was already underway, so right now a Fall 80 box is a potential project.

What a conundrum it must be to have several hundred shows or more at your disposal and only so many release opportunities per year.

Also lots of Summer/Fall and December '89 through Winter '90 multi-tracked shows still in the vault.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

they love each other ,GDradio 11/30/73 thank God for sabbath and the GRATEFUL DEAD, Cheers

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

SpaceBrother you are indeed correct. I wondered why I hadn't noticed that. So I looked.

The credits are in, like, 2 point type. I usually take my Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass to it, but I guess I was excited to hear it and spaced that, brother.

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

Im digging Daves 36, fans of audience tapes will for sure dig this one! I thought about my last comment and don't want to ruin the element of surprise so im editing it out🤙

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It is a great disc. As much as I love the old William Tell versions of St. Stephen, they really started rocking out at the end of the 71 performances (after one man gathers what another man spills). Weir especially on the Ladies and Gentlemen performance, and now on this 2/18 show.

Disc 3 of 4/8 that's a good call. I've always really gotten into 5/25/72 Disc 3, but I think the Dark Star on 4/8 is certainly better. And now I have Cautions running through my head. They were all pretty Kick-Ass on that last tour for Pigpen, but I'll be listening with fresh ears next time on your recommendation.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

They do come with digital meds though.

Well, this message makes no sense with the previous spammer email removed.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

In reply to by wilfredtjones

During a classic Grateful Dead Show -in the -Rain, "The He's Gone" was such an uptempo crowdpleaser. We had our boom stand inside a dome tent with one tech-head handling the rec levels and bailing during downpours. You know better but I know him.

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

Yeah as soon as i got the email the Dave's picks poster had already sold out, bummer...I would have bought one, oh well saved me a 100$ i guess... off the top of my head im going to say #5, #23 & #34( with the bonus disc) are my top 3 Daves picks so far...#13 & #29 would be a top 5 with the previous 3...

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Well, for the 10th straight year, my subscription is in. I will definitely re-visit at the end of 2021, to see what we got in '21, and what we may look forward to in '22. I have no real complaints over #'s 1-36, and look forward to 38-40(already know what 37 will be).
Three fave Dave's without giving it much thought: #30, #10, #6. But hey, in a nod to MDJim, It just might be the next one I listen to.

Stay healthy all.

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

Yep! Dave won't find me slacking this year. As a newish Dead Head I really enjoyed every selection form Dave's Picks 2020 and the ones from 2019 that I got my hands on. I've really never heard anything else like this wonderful music.

Welcome!
To the golden road of unlimited devotion!
Now light up a smoke and have yourself a ball, cause your mothers down in Memphis and won’t be back until fall!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Still waiting on my Dave's Picks Vol. 36. At least I got a reply that they will notify the warehouse to send out another copy. Unfortunately still no second shipping notice with new tracking number, hopefully I'll get that sooner than later. It makes me reluctant to renew for a 2021 subscription when I can't even get my 2020 subscription completed. I've been a loyal fan for a while and never had shipping issues. I get that things happen that are out of people's control some times so I am hoping this is an isolated incident and won't be the norm for the future.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

"The only people in the world who will ever receive this Bonus Disc in any format are YOU, the subscribers!"

And this is supposed to make me feel what exactly? Privileged? Special?

Since nobody will ever get to hear it again I guess you might as well destroy the Masters because why pay to store , archive and worry over them. The concert is done. A few thousand CDs were sold and now it's one more for the shredder.

This remains, as I've said before, a completely ridiculous business model.

Never to be heard again. What a load of senseless crap.

But I do agree with the comment above that in general the Grateful Dead have a fabulous business model, in everything except the Vault. My objection above stands.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Byrd

Keep up the excellent business marketing model. Nobody does it better. Barry Barnes said it best. "Everything I know about business I learned from the Grateful Dead"

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Since people are always saying they missed the email can I share todays message that the early bird special price ends today. You’ll still be able to subscribe at the full price for a while or just get in quick and buy only the discs you want during the year.
Stay safe.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

They sell everything and people keep wanting more. How is that bad business?

Never heard from again? I mean come on. You really can't find a friend to burn you a copy? Not good enough with a burned disc?Then it really is about the physical collectable item and not the music. You can get anything from someone somewhere, just gotta poke around.

Seems like this business model is just fine. Did y'all follow those no VHS recording FBI warnings and never tape over missing Maxell tabs to make a tape? I'm not saying open up a vending booth in lot and hawk official releases but damn if you dont have a friend out there, be more polite and people on here will get you the music. I know they've done that for me...shhhhh. If you get confused....reach out for help...and listen to the music play. Plus there are plug-ins that allow downloads from archive streams...I've said too much. Get motivated and inventive people come

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

You do work with optics at all? Just curious cause it looks like you've got an interference pattern of some kind there for your avatar. Reminds of optical mineralogy classes!

Aww poor Byrd. A hissy fit because they don't do it his way. Kindergarten must be tough

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by direwulf

No, although I did work with electron and optical microscopes at one point in my less than illustrious career. The image is of a badge showing the cover of the Steve Hillage album ‘Rainbow Dome Music’. The music was played in a pyramid at the Festival for Mind, Body and Spirit in the late 1970’s. My wife and I had the pleasure of sharing a bench with Mr Hillage when he came into the pyramid while we were there.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

I really don't know what should be wrong about the suscription as a business model. Saw a few complaints on Instagram as well. Do I have to know all the cover stories in advance before subscribing to Rolling Stone? I doubt it. Just curious: Are there any other bands who do it that way, selling a subscription of physical product? I'd definitely sign up for Dylan, Lou Reed and quite a few others ...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Colin-a fine album, and the event you attended is now considered the stuff of legend. Quite a privilege sitting next to his nibs as well.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I say good things about the Dead when they do good things and offer my criticisms when I disagree, but unlike some twerps out here who respond with personal insults, I never hero-worshipped anyone in the band and I sure as hell don't blow sunshine up their asses 24/7.

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

I'm still waiting for a reply from Customer Service as to why I received an unnumbered copy in my subscription for DP #36. I have always ordered two copies, and one stays sealed. So at least I have one that is numbered, but WTF guys. I thought unnumbered copies were promos and only given out to employees, stores, or replace orders lost in the mail. It almost makes me not want to subscribe for 2021.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

In reply to by LedDed

This is a great place for politics. Thanks for being a clown.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

In reply to by rusty string

Some people will complain about anything if it isn't exactly the way they want it. We call these people children . (and Byrd)

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Did Dave reveal DaP 38 yet? Doesn't he give away the show w/bonus disc before the subscription window closes?

Or does he announce the 2nd DaP of the year AFTER the subscription window closes?

I can never remember how it goes, year to year. 'Course, whether that's due to 48 years of pot and tripping or the meds I'm on now 'cuz I broke a couple bones in my foot Wednesday night, I can't say for sure.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Viewfromthefault

Some people accept anything, whether they like it or not, and misunderstand constructive criticism. They also have a tendency to label people they don't understand.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html