• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ha.. there's a lot of that going around between at dead.net right now. Texas medicine was the easy one, Mescaline but I had no idea what railroad gin was. There is a band and a gin named Railroad Gin but they both are seemingly came after Memphis Blues. The internet had a lot to say which provided a whole lot of humor and some insight. I liked what the Urban Dictionary had to say including quoting Dylan himself:

TOP DEFINITION
Railroad Gin
1. Cider and tomato juice
2. Brake Fluid
3. Piss
"The ragman gave me two cures and jumped right in, the one was Texas medicine and the other was railroad gin" From 'Stuck in Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again' by Bob Dylan

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I'm reminded of the SNL skit when the personalities who had hosted multiple SNL shows were gathered in silk smoking jackets in a lounge where they pompously reviewed the elite number of times they'd hosted. Steve Martin, Paul Simon et al all had the smug looks of exclusive club members.

So, DeadHeadBrewer, you too would like to join the elite ranks of Orobourous's Honor Roll???

[Cue the evil laughter, with excessive reverb AND delay........... please use Fender tube amp.....]

We'll convene the elite Honor Roll club this evening and discuss whether you're worthy.

Meanwhile, here's a hint: relentlessly, boringly, unselfconsciously, profanely, stupidly, heedlessly, ruthlessly (definition: totally without Ruth) TOSS OUT THE DATES OF PRETTY MUCH ANY '70s SHOW ON THIS FORUM AS A CANDIDATE FOR THE NEXT RELEASE.

And you, too, can ascend to the dizzying heights occupied by only a hallowed few, the shameless, the degenerate "members" of Orobourous's HONOR ROLL.

Meeting tonight at 7pm, no matter your time zone. Place 2-27-69 on stereo, spin the volume knob to the right, crack any beer that's more than a 12 oz serving, pour a shot of anything with double digit alcohol content, crumble fragrant buds of Cannabis Indica into an imbibing device of your choice, snort a little mescaline, say PIGPEN LIVES! three times and flash your porch lights the same # of times the GD played the intro beat to Beat It On Down the Line at the last show it was played with Pigpen in attendance .... then wait. You will receive detailed instructions on joining the Honor Roll club in the mothership hovering over your house.

Oh, and pack a toothbrush and an extra pair of undies, plus a couple restraints. It's gonna be a rough ride...........

tough and ruthless
rough and toothless

Ruth and Johnny side by side
Went out for an auto ride
John hit a bump
Ruth hit a tree
and John went on, Ruthlessly

Ah, poetry is fun

Now I can identify bridges, too!

Honor roll? or Hooteroll?

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I don't want to belong to any club that would have the likes of me as one of its members . . .

All y'all can do better. :)

HF, do I need to add Maui to my Joni Mitchell Early Years Bull Moose order?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Dammit HF, I told ya to keep it on the DL!

Sorry DHB. Your already an honorary member with emeritus status!

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

DHB, this release will be the definitive audio version available and will supercede the half-dozen boot releases and occasional official track released from these two shows.

HF

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2q6KTM4XufoSk2MhZIkf-jLS0qFm3XKB…

*** Published on Nov 21, 2020
Grateful Dead May 12, 1980
Boston Garden

Boston, MA

Recording Info:
SBD ... Cassette Master ... Reel ... Dat (48k)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller June 10, 2008
----------------------------------------------

Patch Info:Nakamichi 700 ... Cassette Master ... Dat ... CD supplies:
-Tuning (complete track)
-Jack Straw (0:00 - 0:13)
-I Know You Rider (6:12 - end of track)
-He's Gone (10:04 - 10:19)
-Sugar Magnolia (5:10 - 5:20) (6:33 - 7:10)

Notes:
-- Thanks to Rob Eaton for lending me his DATs
-- Thanks to Joe B. Jones for his help with the pitch correction
-- Second cut in Sugar Magnolia patched
__________________________________________________________________________--

Set 1--
Jack Straw ...
Alabama Getaway ...
El Paso
Althea
Lazy Lightnin' ...
Supplication
Far From Me
New Minglewood Blues
China Cat Sunflower ...
I Know You Rider

Set 2--
Feel Like a Stranger
Ship Of Fools
Estimated Prophet ...
He's Gone ...
Caution Jam ...
Drums ...
Space ...
Saint Of Circumstance ...
Wharf Rat ...
Sugar Magnolia

Encore--
U.S. Blues

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I've often touted 6-17-75 -- the Bob Freid Memorial Boogie -- as a great GD show. Not even 1.5 hrs long, but the first public performance of the Blues for Allah material, even prior to finalizing lyrics for Help On the Way. I got a copy of a reel-to-reel audience tape that fall and the audio is pretty dang good for an aud. [Edit: meant to add, this show is classic in that, apart from the new material, the setlist doesn't jump out at ya -- until you hear the exuberance in the performance.]

We had discussed here whether there are master reels in the vault. Well, according to a list of returned tapes via the ABCD group, http://jgmf.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-new-alphabet-abcd-gd.html, 6-17-75 is complete and in the vault.

"06-17-75 SF CA, 5 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 15ips Complete"

Check out that ABCD returned tape list. Many single reels that may, or may not, complement incomplete shows already in the vault.

Dave has released a shit-ton of '76 to '78 because, quite simply, that's the span of best-documented years.

What would provide the means to release 6-17-75, a barely two-disc show? And, unfortunately, as the lone unreleased show from that year, WHY would DL release it anytime soon?

So, good news, but the forecast is cloudy.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

both reels and cassettes. They've got plenty of material from those Warfield/Radio City shows for a fat future release. Obviously not a complete record -- and they did put out the two discs of acoustic last year -- but there's more.

Bottom line: there's a proverbial shit-ton of great music in them thar hills and I aim to get my fair share!

Although the marketing and licensing arm of "Hendrix Freak Inc." is loath to make endorsements, l'm here to say that the $100 subscription is a no-brainer. Which is a handy thing, as brain cells are in short supply at "HF Inc."..........

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Hendrixfreak, that makes my day to hear that show is in vault, thanks for the great news. Now Dave & co. can release that decade box set I've talked about, one show from every year, 1970 to 1979, I think most folks would dig it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kid

This list is both encouraging and depressing. I hope it's not complete.

It feels like we have already blew our wad, if you look at Reel shows that are complete, many of these have already been released and the cache of what is left has a whole lot of Reels 1 and 3 but not complete, etc. There must be someone that is either still holding out or perhaps some of the reels are lost or degraded. On the flip side, Record Store Day is going to be fun.

And the lot of cassette masters outweighs the Reels, so there's that.

I am a pragmatist and a glass half full person, but I really was hoping there was more in the Reels - Complete but not yet released column. For example, where are the RFK 73's? Perhaps they were already in the vault.

Still.. good stuff and thanks for sharing. Sheds a little daylight into the shadows, which is always good.

Much appreciated, many thanks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... let’s not forget to add “The Bears, “Sonic Journals” to the currant addition of recordings being made & released & available for releases to be produced! IMHP , bears recordings interest me the most and hold for me some of the most golden treasures I look forward to releasing and working along the Dead’s Team with to produce more Epic performances & primo quality audio , grateful Sonics lol , I can’t wait for the news to drop on the next upcoming product by the boys to ‘steal our faces right off our heads’ my brothers and sisters, I’m very excited for the Bomb to drop! Boom , a universal sonic boom from Phil to ignite a big-Bang into Dark Stars
“ My God , It’s Full Of Stars”...
Have a grateful day everyone! Be safe be kind & keep on truck’n everyone! Peace be with you all! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

saving 6/17/75 for BFA 50th? that's 2025! zoinks! I will have entered my 7th decade of life on this earth!

X-Files fans: Scully gets a uroboros tattoo in season 4. Methinks as a tramp stamp. the ink contains some ergot stuff. sound familiar?

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

We make these limited edition purchases and I'm discovering more and more random discs that go bad over time ... Dave's 7 disc 2, one of the greatest Scarlet-Fires ever, and now I can't get track 1 (Scarlet) to play from the beginning (and much static when it does play). Dave's 8, disc 2, another incredible Scarlet-Fire, yet disc won't play all the way through (Ship of Fools skips horribly). And there's a few more here and there ... it's aggravating to possess this historically great music and find that the discs aren't lasting.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

...In no particular order:
DAVEROCK
ForensicDoc 11
Jim in MD
Colin Gould
Sixtus
SimonRob

I enjoy most everybody(not all), but the above folks are almost always sober, thoughtful, and cogent in their remarks.
Whiners get on my nerves(guess what-I don't get everything I want......It's called LIFE!! Wake up people!!
Looking forward to my guaranteed 4 Dave's releases in 2021, don't care if I like all or even ANY of them, the anticipation is perhaps the most fun of all. I have enough music to supply 2 lifetimes, so what the hell do I have to complain about. NOTHING.
That is all. Stay safe and healthy folks.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I was too busy salivating to realize that -- of course -- 6-17-75 goes with the BfA remaster. We're not going to wait for 2025, trust me -- recall that Dave said the "50th" release schedule was going to be compressed. I anticipate that means Wake of the Flood will happen before 2023 (maybe this coming year??) and BfA before 2025.

And recall, friends, that that list of ABCD returned Bettys is just one cache of returned tapes. In some cases those Bettys were complete shows, in other cases they completed shows already in the vault. Yet, in still other cases, yes, they represent incomplete shows that may never turn complete for release.

I haven't kept track or delved to find out, but recall as well that Mountain Girl returned a stash of tapes that included GD and JGB shows, from which, I think, that sweet April 18, 1970 show with the long Pigpen acoustic set was drawn. So there's more to that stash. And recall as well that a late '69 show was released (I'm not home now to check which one) after a former partner of a former GD roadie also returned tapes.

That's at least (3) separate stashes of returned tapes to add to the Vault, whose contents are known only to a few. Yeah, JimInMD, there are shows we'll never hear. On the other hand, if we can hold on a few more years, we'll probably get some primo stuff. For example, except when attending the actual shows, I had never been much of a fan of 1976 shows. Then last year's box chock full of June '76 landed and knocked me out.

I'll go with the glass-half-full with a shot of heartbreak on the side. And expect a double whammy when DaP 38 w/bonus lands about the time Dave announces the 2021 box.

And don't forget that the Owsley Foundation still harbors an unknown quantity of GD tapes. They just announced that a full show with a fascinating setlist has been digitally preserved for possible future release. At least one discovery is the first reel of the first set of Nov. 18, 1972. Another is Boston Tea Party, 12-31-69, check this out:

On this incredible night of music, here's what Bear captured on tape:
1. Hard To Handle
2. Me & My Uncle
3. Mason's Children
4. Dire Wolf (Jerry exhorts the audience to sing along)
5. Uncle John's Band
6. Alligator
7. Good Lovin'
8. The Eleven
9. High Time
10. Cumberland Blues
11. Big Boy Pete
12. Not Fade Away
13. Merry Go Round Broke Down Tuning
14. Seasons of the Heart
15. The Race Is On
16. Silver Threads & Golden Needles

I've asked whether the missing reels from my first show, 9-19-72, might be in the OSF vault. Answer pending......

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

It may also be a failing laser mechanism in your disc player. I had similar issues to yours recently, and it was often with more-recent GD discs, probably because those are some of my only discs that have been manufactured recently; most of my other CDs were made a long time ago when CD pressing quality was better. The quality of newer CDs just isn't that great.

I got a new CD player and the discs I thought were problematic were suddenly just fine. YMMV.

Have you tried ripping those CDs, then playing them with your computer? That will help you diagnose where the trouble lies.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

Cats On the Bandstand , A very Melvin Birthday show ,, you tube , , Super fun ,, Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

11/17/71 -12/14/71 Oh my

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

Here's a question: What tour did Jerry Garcia wound up having a crack in his Wolf guitar causing it disappear for awhile- this isn't trivia I don't know the answer

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I've had a few problems this year with cds skipping tracks, and sometimes not playing at all. This is on the new Saturn Rega cd player I bought about 12 months ago. It was mainly newer cds that were affected-ones from box sets being particularly susceptible. It went back for repairs, but came back with the same issues. They kindly delivered a new one on Saturday, for temporary use, and will be coming round to pick the faulty one up later today, together with some of the cds they want me to include that skip. The idea being that they find out the problem then return it and take away the new one.

Its not always clear to me whether its the player or the cd that is at fault. Burned cds seem much more hit and miss now as to whether they play or nor compared to 10 years ago.

Incidentally,this new Saturn Rega I have here sounds amazing. 11/9/73 really sparkled this morning. I'm hoping to keep hold of this new one, in exchange for the faulty one.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

We had this discussion a few months ago.
I checked my copies of the CDs that were reported as rotting and mine played fine.

Agree with DHB, faulty or dirty laser should be ruled out. Try 2 CD players and rip a copy to a HD and compare that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Daverock, maybe your Saturn Rega player is too good. Occasionally I come across CDs that skip or refuse to start when played on my Naim Audio CD player, an undoubtedly quality player. The same problematic discs frequently play without problem in CD players of lower quality, such as the player in my car or the one in my computer. I suspect the reason for this is the accuracy of the laser i.e. the better the laser, the more accurately it reads the CD. Maybe a good laser focuses on a smaller area of the CD than a cheap laser making a good laser more susceptible to read errors on less than perfect CDs. This is pure speculation on my part, but it is certainly the case that skips occur more on my good player than on cheapo cheapo players.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by simonrob

Sports cars with tight suspension give you a jolt with every bump in the road.

Lower end cars with soft suspension just glide over the road.

If/when my Onkyo 6-disc changer dies I might not opt for a high end CD player.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

Simonrob - yes, that does make sense. I have a portable cd player in the kitchen that I have had for about 15 years, and I have never had a problem with that one. Proper sturdy...I used to take it around with me on car journeys, and now it remains in the kitchen, subject to the steam of boiling kettles etc. - but never a hiccup. The Rega feels very delicate by comparison.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

And you know what that means. You don't? Me, neither. Probably means something, tho.

But I also use a Rega Saturn as my main CD player, and it is a finicky little bitch. If there is so much as a microdot of dust anywhere, mayhem breaks loose mid jam. I have to keep a dust cloth handy and try to remember to brush my CDs off, almost like they was vinyls. It does sound pretty good, though.

One quirk of the Saturn is that top loading mechanism, which usually works fine, but there’s enough play in the system that it’s easy to get a disc in there crooked like. If something won’t play right, you might take it out, dust it off, inspect the disc, and try to put in really carefully. Sometimes that works.

If the disc still won’t play on the Rega, test it in your car. Car CD players usually have a decent error-correction system built in, so sometimes discs that skip on the Rega will play in the car, I’ve found.

I dunno what I’m gonna do when cars don’t have CD players anymore. Maybe my old 8 track still works? I probably still have Workingman's and Live Dead 8 tracks somewhere .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I too have that non-imaginary problem. Multiple players and disc buffing have not helped my situation. I wouldn't rule out trying them in a brand new player. But, I just don't think it's a coincidence that they consistently are failing in numerous players I have, while other discs play just fine. I am so glad to have ripped them all before they deteriorated to an unplayable state.

P.S. Me no robot.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

not being included in that one commenter's list of "sober" commentators here. So thankful.

Later, after a couple whiskies and a space cookie and a February '68 GD show, I'll be ultra-thankful.

You heard it here for the umpteenth time: DaP #38 will be a long GD show, possibly 9-7 and 9-8 '73 (I caught the second night, reputed by Dick to be the hotter show) and the 2021 box, wait for it......... fall '72.

Stay safe, folks, Colorado is a hot bed of you-know-what yukiness.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....even though I'm not visiting them today.
One could be selfish. And say their rights are being intruded on. Or one could do the right thing and accept the fact this isn't going away without exceptional effort from everyone.
Standing On The Moon.
I'd rather be with you.
I have faith in my fellow countrymen and women.
I have a co-worker in ICU currently.

Honor Roll! You know who you are...
I don’t care what anyone says you guys are all right! 😎

So though I’m thankful for the usual, most importantly I’m thankful just to still be upright and relatively healthy,
but thankful for all y’all here, like a micro dose of sunshine on the darkness of life!
Thanks!!

Now, party on Wayne!

Crow Told Me-thanks for the tips about managing the Saturn Rega. I haven't heard back from the shop who took my old ( a year old) player in for investigation, but the one they brought round to replace it sounds brilliant. It actually plays the cds, which in itself is an obvious bonus. I am keeping it under cover of an old tee shirt, so motes of don't infiltrate the mechanism. They seem to be so sensitive that if you look at them the wrong way they start playing up !

I also wondered if you have a way of dusting the actual area where you place the discs to keep it dust free?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

You could try a dust blower brush, normally used for cleaning camera lenses, sensors etc. Worth trying as they are very cheap.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

Blow away or dust off or some kind of canned air used for keeping computers/electronics dust free.
Next to water obviously, dust is the worst thing for electronics, especially anything with a micro processor. The heat attracts the dust, the dust keeps building up, which the thicker it gets the more heat is trapped, and it becomes a vicious circle. No Bueno!
If the unit in question has a fan it/they should be regularly cleaned out. I’ve seen computers that were failing and once the fan was cleaned and moving again the computer worked fine...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Hey all, Happy turkey day and Black friday day and just happy happy to all here on this wonderful site.
I knew a friend who knew a guy who got disc rot, the dr said it was from a dirty playa and that next time he should use protection. :) Is disc rot contagious? What if you never opened the packages, can you still get the rot? Does playing with your disc give you the rot? Inquiring minds want to know.
Blowing dust does just that, blows it all over the place, best to vacuum dust, removes it and stores it in a removable disposable compartment.
I have a Dr. appointment Monday, but he won't see me, it's a phone appointment, what good is that?

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

You can get some "Air Duster" in most office supply stores, probably even Walmart. It's good to have some around for cleaning electronics. It's just a can of air, I don't know who put it there, etc.

I use them on new CDs as I take them out of the package for the first time, and do the holder.
Also use it on the CD tray of the player, but try to aim it away from the player so as to minimize the amount I shoot inside.

But the best use is to freeze cockroaches and palmetto bugs in their tracks. If you squeeze the trigger when the can is upside down an extremely cold liquid comes out.
Palmetto bugs look like huge cockroaches but they can also fly, although they can run through your house faster than they fly. They can walk up walls and across ceilings, and squeeze through thin gaps. They’re everywhere in the south/southeast.
So, if one goes running through your house you can freeze it in its tracks with an upside down gas duster, and not damage the surface the bug is on. But, you have to pick up the bug and flush it before it thaws out, or it will start running again. I’ve seen it happen more than once.

Tilex and Clorox also stop them pretty quickly, but if the surface is cloth it gets bleached. So that method works best in the bathroom.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

They're just babies. In the tropics I've seen 3" roaches. They are B I G. They don't bother me too much until they start flying in your general direction. Spray 'em with wimmin's hair spray and they glide gently to the ground then you can dispose of them at your leisure. I guess freezing them would also work.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I really don't think my problem is dust, but I will take the suggested solutions under advisement. Some of my earlier noticed offenders I tested in my Subaru when it was brand new 2 years ago and they too failed to initialize in there. I think my problem with these discs is too far gone. I was bummed when I noticed the problem started creeping from my early DaP's (1 thru 4!) to my Road Trips collection, namely RT 4.5 Disc 3. Again, my entire collection is long since ripped so I still have all the music. If you're not in that boat, Dissident1980 just pipe up and I'm sure you'd find help getting playable lossless files or mp3's whatever is your pleasure.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Scooped up some nice stuff today including Garcia Volume 2 (haven’t listened yet), but the gem out of the Black Friday drop may have to be No Business: Curtis Knight & The Squires, The PPX Sessions Volume 2....WOW...phenomenal sound, and the guitar playing is top notch!

Honorable mention goes to Sonny Rollins in Holland...beautiful!!

Happy Belated TG Dead People...hope you all had your fill of Good food and drink even if it was without your usual entourage!!!

KCJ

Trivia for the night (without looking on google)...who’s the guitar player in this Curtis Knight & The Squires pressing? (Other than Curtis)

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html