• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

My Guess is the bonus material is from 12/4/79 from Chicago after space. We got the Estimated /Frankiln’s / Jam pre drums on No. 31. But it looks tasty. I dig me some early Brent.

Sweet, looking forward to this one. A little December 79.

How did you know LMG?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Fall of '79 is super under rated. Jerry was really trying to show the new kid how to play, there was soooo much good music on this tour, really, the best Brent tour until Spring of '90. Been waiting for Fall '79 since the early days of Road Trips. Now what about Pittsburgh Dave? That was the best show of the tour?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Of Billerica is only logical, Dave. I have been told by natives (who laughed at my own use of Bill-erica), that it is pronounced Bill-rick-a. They have some strange pronunciations here, I just laugh and move on while trying to make a mental note of that "correct" way to say something.

Was not a huge fan of DaP 31, the Jack a Roe and the filler jam is about all I recall from it. Listening to the Lazy Lightning now, and Bob mumbles through some verses, the sound of cassette hissing away. But will definitely give it a good listen when it comes. Don't think it will get near the workout DaP 45 and HCS box will, but I like random shows to pull out for a change, too. This could fill that need.

Don't Ease is not a favorite of mine by any means, but a band I was in started doing it, and I came to like it more then. Especially when we found it is a perfect way to do a stop on a dime segue into The Other One. So, I could see an encore version working well for a rocking closer. At least it's not yet another Around and Around.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

For 12/1 however any fall '79 show is worth a listen or two. I guess it's time to play DEAD & play DEAD loud. Happy Tuesday to all you kind folks out here in DEADLand.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

instead of sea side chat lol

I remain hopeful about this one, but apprehensive…

ha ha, yes you've bottled that up appropriately: Bill-rickaaaah

Others that fall into the same category 'round these parts:

Stoneham = Stone-um
Worcester = Wust-ahhh
Woburn = Wuuuu-bern or just 'The Woooo'
Peabody = Pea-biddy
Cape Cod = Down The Cape

Just to name a few.

Bring on DaP 47!

From Greater Beantown,
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Dave is Canadian we will give him a break on that pronunciation. God Bless The GD Grateful Dead!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Unless I am wrong from long ago. What about

Haverhill: Have - rill

Leominster: Lem-in-stir

Gloucester: Glaw-stir

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Hi All - Haven't been here forever - hope all's well.

I like the 1979 energy. I just wish they didn't have to use cassette masters...

Most interesting was Dave's tease at the end about DaP48 - he seemed ESPECIALLY excited about that one: "I will see you here in 3 months for the DaP48 announcement. That's a Doozy! Gonna be a lot to talk about on that one!" What is it? Special guest? Special missing reel was returned to the Vault?? What could it BE???

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

In Med-fid.
Grandparants lived in Stone-um
They went round dancing in Woo-bin
Other family lived in Scituate (that's Sitch-you-It)
Vacationed in Barnstable-Bon-sti-bull
Enough!!

I will give Dave's 47 an unbiased listen, and probably tell Y'all what I think. Not that anyone would care!! :)

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

More Dead Head TV released on DreamsWeDreamed dot com:

Kezar Stadium: Two Historic Grateful Dead concerts (just in time for the 'Sunshine" box!)
Dan Healy interview part three
Spring Tour 1989 Report part one
Dead Base: the Origins of the "Taper's Bible"
The Dead News May 1989

Enjoy!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It is indeed pronounced Bill-Rick-A. I saw that night (from right in front of the very low stage) and the next at UMass. Great shows! Apparently no soundboards exist, but one can hope.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I've never heard a late '79 show I didn't enjoy sitting down with and I'm sure this will follow in kind. Regarding DaP 31 (12/3/29), a great show but a recording where the vocals are disembodied from the instrumentation-- reminds me of that Journey arcade game where you have to connect the heads to the instruments. A definite damper when you have so many other official shows to choose from. This release however sounds much more balanced. Not as dynamic as RT Vol3#1 (12/28/79), but nothing that will keep me from giving it a listen when the mood strikes. Looking forward to it. A nice antidote to all that boring '73 stuff!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Always happy to see a new Brent era release and 79 was a good year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Now what that could be?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I love 1979 Grateful Dead, especially this whole fall tour. I am know I am not the only one who is slightly disappointed about not getting 11/30 and/or 12/1. Again this is minor as this show intrigues me. I have never heard it and now I am really curious about the jam that comes out of Saint of Circumstance. And what about a 2nd set composed 7-8 songs pre-drums??? I don't think that happened too often post-hiatus. I am really looking forward to this one.

The extra nugget is the post drums segment from 12/4/79, at least I think it is. We got the Estimated Prophet > Franklin's Tower > Jam > as bonus material, so now we can close out the 2nd set of that show. We are just missing the China Cat > Rider and LLR that opens the 2nd set. Still with the extra material on this release this is not a bad little nugget to have.

I am glad I have some time before this release makes it to my mailbox as I am still taking in the here Comes Sunshine box. Those shows on that box are wonderful.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

Hey Thin, good to hear from you.

I think there is a possibility they used Plangent on this one as they did with Dave's #39, the 83 Philly show (MSG box as well). Cassette masters with the Plangent process makes a big difference.
We will see....

#48, I think he breaks into 91.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

…in part of the art department. I graduated college, ‘ Cooper Union’ NYC , had full scholarship!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

… Dicks picks 5 is a favorite of mine! I Love 1979 Grateful Dead! Every release the Dead has been released to date are All, in Dave’s Words, “top tiers” performances from the Grateful Dead as a whole Band gives me the feeling of opening the “doors of Perception ind my mind! 1979 , especially December of 79’ is filled with’Primo Shows! Betty recorded 12/26/79 , the source used for Dicks Picks #5.
Sure wish this was a Betty board but I’m just grateful for the release no matter who recorded it, Healy, did Dave’s Picks #47, which the Dead uses for our next pick in the series!
“Smile Smile Smile “ my brother and sisters, I believe everyone is going love this latest pick!
Peace be with you all!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

....there is a Lost Saint.
I kinda forgot about that pick.
And that's on me.
Making up for lost time currently.
#3046.
Refresher course.
Better late than never!!
Lots of good music out there if you look at it right. And I tend to be all over the place recently.
Let's call it a mydland life crisis.
Extra nugget? Well, I've got one right here.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 7 months

My first show was on 11.9.79 and these early shows with Brent are so sweet as he feels his way around with the band. Phil was playing so well in this time period that you can shred your speakers just to add a little more Phil.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

The '60s didn't really end until 1974 or so, and the '90s didn't start till about '92. And I think the '80s got started in '79, at least as far as the GOGD was concerned.

It's kinda weird, isn't it, the way we obsess on numbers that end in zero? The way we pretend the world changes every ten years as soon as the calendar flips over to a year with a zero? Too bad our civilization didn't stick with roman numerals, everything would be different,

Anyway, glad to hear 47 is an '80s show, even if this one took place in '79. I think it's appropriate that Dave tries to represent different eras, and we were overdue for an '80s. I also think that, in this case at least, his interest in unusual set lists is likely to pay off: lots of then-new tunes on this one, and the unusual second set will be a breath of fresh air, for me, anyway. Looking forward to this one!

Meanwhile still working through the HCS box. (No defective discs so far, praise ye gods.) Like a lot of people, I was surprised and blown away by the excellence of that Des Moines show! What's that expression about "the strangest of places"?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

But we all are waiting for 12/1/79. But still, I am open to more December shows. Good energy. Another tidbit from 12/4/79 (is he gonna piece the whole show together via bits & pieces a la 3/24/90?). But speaking of '79 shows we want, I'd love 2/17/79. K&D's finale.

Still, we have had our 2 K&D shows this year (1 without Mickey, 1 with), and now a Brent. Does he go Pig or Bruce (for the first time?) for 48? A sneaking feeling #48 may be some 1970 Allman Brothers/Dead (2/11 + completing 2/13 or 2/14?). The 1973 HC sunshine box has me hoping that there was a breakthrough with the ABB on some stuff.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Also Watkins Glen. I've been getting promotions for a Woodstock type documentary for the Watkins Glen performances coming out this year. Hoping all the music sees a release this year, including the Allman sets from RFK. Wake of the Flood 50th will also be announced soonish so there's definitely more 73 coming out this year.

For completing 79 Dead show releases there are a bunch on that first Road Trips plus hopefully a rerelease of the download shows that came out from that tour that were briefly available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

interesting pick, it already floats around freely traded and in good to excellent quality depending your source. same with almost everyting in the 73 box set. i got it, and compared to the bear boards, miller re dos, etc the shows dont sound that much better if they do at all. i have nice 73 box set if anyone wants one... reach out to me.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Mid-song second set. Had some friends there. I've always wondered about it, especially with Walnut Creek '97, a legendary Phish summer show in Raleigh on 7/22/97, with an epic thunderstorm and lightning struck the lawn or very nearby during Taste. Nobody hurt, but Phish played to the storm. Then played an unbelievable second set. Sadly, tonight went unfinished. Interestingly, String Cheese made their debut at the same venue in Wilmington last Spring and one night was stopped due to storms with the band playing a set backstage and livestreaming it on Instagram and Facebook. In 2017, was in Atlanta for Cheese and we got dumped on both nights, but the first night was far worse. Full on July Southern Thunderstorm, and my most vivid memory is running back to my car in the pouring rain and feeling I was dodging lightning to put my camera back in my car (them was the rules for my photo pass). When I went back in, I was getting a bit of shelter from the storm for a bit and overheard the stage manager being told they got lucky as the radar showed the storm moving away, one more close lightning strike and they would have shut it down. Luckily for us, it was not. A fantastic show, really inspired, as the band was loving those of us who remained dancing in the pouring rain, while a lot of people crammed under the bit of shelter at the back of the amphitheatre.

Anybody remember any times they personally or knew of Dead shows getting stopped due to storms? I know Red Rocks one year got moved to McNichols Arena in Denver, and SummerFest '78 was cx'd, but they never started.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I'm hoping the billerica clue will come to fruitation. I'm not sure how many times thy played there, but the 1989? Tape I have has an amazing setlist. That tape given to me in the late 80s? A deadhead friend gave it to me, and I was hooked ever since.

user picture

Member for

1 year 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

#47 is $10 less than #46, so there's that, which I don't understand. I think they'll both be around a while, and I hope I'm wrong. Maybe 47 goes first.

It seems the Grateful Dead played Billerica only once, in May of 79 so I'm not sure whats going on there.
5/11/79

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Took 6 months for 45 to sell out, and 46 is still available. Take your time. Forget about Dave’s comments about 48, it’s 50 I want to know about.

user picture

Member for

7 years

You are right. I remember the Estimated on my tape. It's the most incredible Estimated I've ever heard, in my opinion. The tape I obtained was unlabeled, so it was hard to pinpoint which show it was taped from, especially back in the day. Thanks for clearing that up. P.S. - when I mentioned 1989?, I was eluding to the time I obtained the tape, and was clueless to what show was actually on it. I started going to dead shows in 86' but started collecting tapes around 88' or 89'.The billerica tape was the tape that got me to dig my heels in, and really start to collect and trade shows.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Billerica is a good show - I recall this had come up on here a few years back and I dove in then and am re-listening now. Good FOB and I've cranked the sub. Setlist right up my alley; Half Step>Franklins opener, LL>Supp, Peggy'O; a massive Shakedown, Estimated>Eyes and a powerhouse trio to finish it off. No encore this evening.....

...Dave?!?!?

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Tony Bennett was 96. RIP
The best of the crooners.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Carousel Ballroom 1968

user picture

Member for

7 years

Cool. I'll check out the C. Miller Tr. on archives.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Third man records is releasing a syd barret collection on vinyl.

Has anyone got their garcialive 20 yet?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hello. I got a question. Although my "name" is Luis ( in spanish), I've never been in St Louis. I dont know why the cover has what looks like something in honor of a a dog. but I don't know.-:)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

6/21/71

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

....got it about a week ago. Love it.
The AC broke at work today. Hate it.
Got home. Turned the shower to the coldest I could handle to help cool my core. AC set to 75.
Brain got a little scrambled.
I'm good now.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by luis

Luis - that's a Missouri bear sculpted of limestone by Robert Cronbach. One of two, slightly different pose for each, at the entrance to the Kiel Opera House. There are 2 grizzly bears in the Missouri state seal. The Cronbach bears seem a bit chill for grizzlies. One of them in fact reminds me of my (late) dog Spirit, a very good dog, in his demeanor.

Listening to Set II on the Rolfe pull/Miller upload of Billerica 5/11/79. Wowza. Very very nice.

Edit - actually 3 grizzlies in the Missouri state seal. One small representation on all 4 paws, and 2 larger ones standing.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Yes, I've just Saw It on wikipedia. Also un other article They say that the population of the Missouri Bear is increasing, lately.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html