• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 5 months

Not two box sets, just one
“ The Lemieux interview mentions the Dead plans to continue a 50th Anniversary reissue series – started with the recent release of the band’s self-titled debut – through 2039 and will also issue four Dave’s Picks installments as well as a big box set each year.”

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by P Hill

such an oddball year for the band.

some of those shows were SHORT.

some of them are fun...3/31/86 comes to mind

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

More feisty than angry, I recommend the version from Nassau 1/11/79, during the bittersweet final tour for the Godchaux's. I feel this show is underrated due to lesser-quality SBD, and AUD sources. The AUD gives the "you are there" feel, albeit in the 400s section, but it's plenty listenable once you acclimate. And there are plenty of highlights, so it's worth a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a__7gRLiw8

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

If anyone gets a chance to check this one out, there is a fascinating moment during Casey Jones (about 5:15 mark), where it all kind of goes wrong, but they make a very interesting transition back to finish the tune.
The second set also has a quite unique B. Palace-UJB-NFA-Lovelight-GDTRFB-NFA. Nice stuff. Sloppy but nice.
Generally, I love live performances by ANY artist better than studio, and I don't care how many mistakes they make. That just makes it more interesting to me. And also shows that the music is being performed by humans!!
God bless the good old Grateful dead!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

It's funny how this incredible set of shows that not only feature some of the best shows but also they are the returned betty boards that could have been lost forever or worse destroyed. The fact it took a couple of years to sell out still baffles me. the giants box sold out in a month or two. How can this be? Both are great but july 78 should have sold out in a day or two. You never quite know....

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I wholeheartedly agree Mr. Ones! I miss Doc and his sage insight on 1971. My dog told me that Doc would be back for the 50th anniversary of 1971, but alas that is next year and my dog drinks a lot, and it’s hard to take him seriously. Bottom line, I Love the live shit.... speaking of which....Mr. DaveRock from across the pond has been so kind to start sending me his King Crimson live collection burned onto CD. To pay this gesture forward I will happily forward any of the music digitally to almost anyone who requests it, or as I have already moved the tunes to digital, I would also be more than happy to mail the original burned CDs from DaveRock to almost anyone. First to request the CDs gets them (shipping on me)....all are welcome to the digital files. Here is what I have so far:

King Crimson Live in Guildford 11/13/72
King Crimson Starless - Live in Glasgow 10/23/73
King Crimson Epitaph - BBC sessions, Fillmore East and Fillmore West 1969
King Crimson Sailors Tails - Zoom Club, Frankfurt 4/12/71

Right now, I’m enjoying Pulse, on vinyl....I’ve always loved this but the vinyl pressing is damn near perfect and takes it to the next level!

Rock On Dead People

KCJ

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

You’re surprised it didn’t sell out before, but you just bought it.
Why didn’t you buy it before?

If it’s financial, no need to explain. If it’s because your ‘77 supermodel girlfriend wouldn’t let you shop around, then maybe Jim was right. Sometimes imperfectly brilliant is what is needed.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Those shows fit on 2 CD’s (some need the encore on CD1).
One could cram a lot of those shows into a Box.........

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Sounds strange huh. I started Dave's picks in 1/20/2017 and then way later the giants box came out and purchased that but before that I never had a dead box set only tapes I collected since 1986. So I started getting the box set fever from you guys. I did not realize when you go to the music section that there are other pages in the right hand corner numbered 1,2,3> in tiny numbers . So I was missing all those boxes and single cds. Sounds stupid but that's what happened. So then I was buying more stuff like NOD ,july 78, and one other to catch up. It was the design of the site that confused me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

Hello hockey fans! It's -32 (-25F) in Regina SK tonight and DaP33 arrived this morning to brighten the day! Can't wait to dig into this.

Call me crazy.. but I am not noticing nearly as big a sound quality bump from releases that were sourced from cassette masters as I can hear from releases pulled from Reel or multi-track masters . The cassette mastered releases sound almost the same as if you pull the best recording from Archive.org.

Makes for a risky venture going through the production efforts (and costs) to make a box set where upon release people might begin complaining about the sound... and sales might not be as robust as some of the great ones.

I love the idea and the era, but I am not holding my breath for a box set sourced from cassette mastered shows.

Then again, I could be wrong.

On a separate note, this darkness got to give.

If you ran a cassette master through the Plangentizer the threads of the universe could unwind.

Box Set Fever (sung to cat scratch fever).

Maybe you are on to something ICCK. This might sound cynical.. but I sometimes wonder if they just don't try as hard with the cassettes.

Who knows.. the next major advancement might make those old Dolby monstrosities sound divine. Here's to that.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

And, I haven't read through many of the comments on this release yet, and what I say may therefore be old news or redundant.

Anyway, I listened to the first two discs shortly after I got them a few weeks back. Didn't get to the third disc until today.

Spent the afternoon cross country skiing at Royal Gorge near Lake Tahoe on a perfect bluebird day. Had my usual beer stop at a lakeside about half way through, a Breaking Bud IPA tall can from Knee Deep Brewing of Auburn CA in the Sierra foothills. Quite tasty, and always makes the return trip go faster on the trail.

Skiied back to the lodge, and loaded up the car with my gear and headed back to Squaw Valley to pick up my squaw (I mean wife). Listened to Disc 3 on the way. Noticed that my beer buzz was still ripping along pretty nicely. The Eyes came on, started out with a bit different tempo than I was used to, seeming a bit laid back and languid. Then Garcia took off on his normal extended Eyes solo. Whoa - reminded me again how this guy squeezed pure soul out of his always melodic, always inventive guitar expeditions. With the perfect weather and late sun glowing off the mountains and snow caps on the drive, it was another peak Dead moment. How do you describe this to those who've just never been there? Simply exquisite.

Back for the night in nearby Incline Village, NV, we ventured out to dinner at a local craft brewery/brewpub. Pretty sizable place, and they had a decent local bar band playing. A real mixed bag, threw in covers of The Clash, Led Zeppelin, and several others all over the map. Just as we were about to leave, heard the opening riffs of Friend of the Devil. Had to stay for that. They sort of butchered it by speeding it up too much and singing it more like a hoedown than a man in desperate straits, but hey, it was a good try anyway. Probably better if they'd stuck to the Zep, which they pulled off smoothly. Still, it capped off the evening nicely.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Set 1 Early show: Dark Star> St. Stephen> The Eleven> Turn On Your Love Light Set 2 Late show: Cryptical Envelopment> Drums> The Other One> Cryptical Envelopment> Death Don't Have No Mercy, Alligator> Drums> Drummers' Chant> Jam> China Cat Jam> Jam> Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)> Feedback> And We Bid You Good Night

https://archive.org/details/gd1969-02-07.137392.sbd.wise.sirmick.sbeok…

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

You have to wonder what these 'seemingly' passive bot based posts are all about. I do know one thing. Someone is spending money on technology that is either designed to get our money or make use of our information.

To me it's not passive at all, someone is up to something and odds are it will cause harm not help.

What could they possibly be up to?

It's clear these early attempts are designed to learn and sharpen their AI skills in multiple platforms, but who is behind it and what are they up to?

Jim, you know what their up to. The same thing people have been up to forever, scamming money, by act or by info. As Sweeney Todd says, "there are two kind of people, only two. The one staying put in his proper place and the one with his foot in the other one's face."

The humorous side is people who really use the site for the intended purpose constantly are fighting the "capcha" war. I always wonder how many thing must get tried by bots before they get through. But capcha ain't stopping them.

Excellent, imminently releasable. Ready for immediate consumption.

Been to the Stanley Theatre many times (reopened as the Benedum after a $43M renovation in 87).. a great venue in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. I can only imagine seeing the GD there in late winter 1969 in all their psychedelic glory.

This one has great sound, and it's pulled from a cassette copy of Bear's reels.

Dennis, you are correct and as usual provide nice perspective.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

To me they are just the same as people advertising in other mediums. Unfortunate if these capcha things stopped genuine people from posting, as they obviously don't stop the bots.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I sent a memory stick to a dozen or so people in a chain letter style. A chunk of these people are here. (you know who your are!!) Stick is out there somewhere, who has it and how many names left to go?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Legendary yet not overhyped and celebrating it's 50th birthday today.

Two great shows, and the start to Dick's Picks 4 begins with one of the best Intro's ever by John Zacherle. The Grateful Goddamn Dead.

Still one of my favorite releases after all these years.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Great show! Spring 69 was great. How about a box. Where are the returned Bear reels?
Or maybe a April 71 complete recordings box?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

...or not? Jim as usual has a valid point, but.....
CASSETTE MASTERS: definitely no easy answers. Certainly a fair percentage of folks would balk at Cassette sourced box set, but I feel like just as many “non junkies” might make up for that group?
I put in a pretty good listen of most of the Riverbend 85 show last weekend. Did it sound different than the reels, of course, but it was still a good experience! And we’re those even plangentized?
If your not hung up, once you get past the initial adjustment, which usually coincides with their sound/mix coming together and the band entraining etc, you forget all about that. Kinda like what it was often like at a show. How many shows have you been to where everything was just exactly perfect right outta the gate? Like anything else in life, if your concentrating on only the faults, that’s all your going to hear....
Like we’ve said before, especially Kayak Guy, there should be perhaps different series or their of releases. They would perhaps have to adjust production runs to compensate for 2 series, but so what? More sales total = more sales/$...
I believe there’s enough folks out there looking for releases from later years to make it work. Besides, many of us can’t understand what the hell they waiting for? 2039 many of us might not still be here, and many more might not care enough to spend they way we do now....do they really thing the next generation is going to drop Dineros they way we junkies do?
The Dead was always about trying new things and taking chances. So you’d think they’d at least be receptive to trying once just to see? So bring On the 85 box! 😉

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by P Hill

Thanks P Hill!
Woo-hoo, bring it! 76 was a major source of tapes for me whilst being weened onto the Dead, and I’ve recently acquired an soft spot for 76 again. Speaking of boxes and sales, you have to wonder though how this will sell as there is a slice of folks here who aren’t big on 76....”too mellow” etc.it will be interesting to see...

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by P Hill

Primo = yes, pre-order = check. 12k copies, down from 15k from the PNW box two years ago which has yet to sell out. Makes sense.

Sixtus was tossing out June 76 vibes not long ago, I'd have to think he will comment. I knew one day we would get the Beacon run, better to release them all together as a box and toss in a little extra quality control by adding Plangent.

Good choice.. Spring '76 isn't everyone's bag, some will be less thrilled than others.. I for one like the gently loping 76 pace and vibe. Cobo, the Orpheum, June Boston Road Trips and the October Day on the Green are all excellent.

Bring it. Good choice. I suspect this will have absolutely fantastic sound. The Beacon Theatre is an Upper West Side gem of a venue. Ah, to have been at one of these shows....

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

June 76

love it, like it, or not, this is gonna be GREAT.

3/20/20: I have my debit card ready.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

This is a nice, unexpected surprise.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Was off by three years but had the number of shows and the disc count.

ps: '73 box in the fall?

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Just a few words about Dave's 33, it really is good. Jerry is totally focused and singing well, Bob manages not to mess up the end of 'Looks Like Rain' and Donna's harmonizing is beautiful. The rhythm section is melded and they keep things snappy, see the way they set the tempo for 'Loser', among others. Some fabulous versions, such as 'Ramble On Rose' and 'Eyes Of The World', and the sound is just amazing. Fantastic start to the year and a big thank you to all concerned.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Count me as one of the less thrilled. I do like some of the 1976 shows that have been released - I played Dicks Picks 20 recently, 9/25/76 and 9/28/76, and enjoyed, as ever, both shows. But I am not sure I really need anymore from this year. Not a very exciting year, I'm afraid, 1976. 15 cds, too. Good news for insomniacs, though.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Stoked. Thanks Dead.net!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just arrived in the U.K. - £12.61 customs so not too bad. Just two tracks in and so far it’s excellent. Very clear sound. Amused to see the reproduction of the hotel charges for damages to a room. Naughty Keith and Donna!

Addendum: dear God, Looks Like Rain is stupendous!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

I haven't got mine yet. I am not so sure about the customs, though. I haven't paid any on a Dave's Picks since the early days, so if "they" ask for any money at all I fear I will become a bit distant.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

nope, think I will go see Roger Waters instead.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock - it came via Royal Mail rather than UPS and they just left a card to pick it up, so no choice. It’s all rather haphazard via Royal Mail. The sender put a value of $24.99 on the customs form which is probably why I got charged a fee. I’ve had numerous items from nugs.net and they never put the full value on the form (cheers guys) So I’ve never had a fee to pay from them. In the past I’ve paid fees on one but not another so it’s all in the hands of the gods. In the grand scheme of things, £12.61 is far better than the £70 plus I paid for the notorious DaP last year.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This release is just insanely brilliant. The St Stephen - NFA just blows the doors down. I’ve loved most of this series, but 33 is hands down the best in this house!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Frank ...I was trying to remember which release they tried to charge so much for last year. That was crazy - the names daverock, not daverockerfeller.
I have to admit if the postie turned up now waving Daves Picks under my nose, demanding £12.00, I would give him the £12.00. In fact, it would be a nice surprise.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

It was the best of times , #6749 DaP #33 arrived today.
It was the worst of times. I had to collect it and pay £11.80 for the privilege.

I recently ordered the three Dead and Co ‘Playing in the sand’ sets from nugs.net and I had subscribed to DaPs.
On 29th Jan nugs.net dispatched the order and on 30th Jan DaP 33 was dispatched.
On 6th Feb the Dead and Co CDs arrive via Sweden with no charge. On 14th Feb I had pay for the DaP which had travelled via Switzerland.

Start Edit
Having bothered to look at the envelope I see that the charge was £3.80 in VAT and an £8 Royal Mail handling fee. I’m nearing the end of disc 1 at the moment and am certainly enjoying it. LLR is a very good version and the jam at the end of Let it Grow is well worth hearing. The next two discs will have to wait until tomorrow.
End Edit

The charge is to be expected so I paid without a qualm.
Sometimes you’re lucky, Sometimes not. I didn’t get charged import duty for boxzilla so that saved me a fortune.

Now I have to find some time to listen to them all.

DAVEROCK it was DaP #31 that gave us all a shock with the extortionate charges.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Yes to an April 71 box, in a heartbeat!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

In a heartbeat me too.

Complete Recordings Box

20 Shows Found

04/04/71- Manhattan Center - New York City, NY
04/05/71- Manhattan Center - New York City, NY
04/06/71- Manhattan Center - New York City, NY
04/07/71- Boston Music Hall - Boston, MA
04/08/71- Boston Music Hall - Boston, MA
04/10/71- East Hall Franklin And Marshall Col. - Lancaster, PA
04/12/71- Civic Arena - Pittsburgh, PA
04/13/71- Catholic Youth Center - Scranton, PA
04/14/71- Bucknell University - Lewisburg, PA
04/15/71- Allegheny State College - Meadvllle, PA
04/17/71- Dillon Gym, Princeton University - Princeton, NJ
04/18/71- Lusk Field House, S.U.C.N.Y - Cortland, NY
04/21/71- Rhode Island Auditorium - Providence, RI
04/22/71- Bangor Municipal Auditorium - Bangor, ME
04/24/71- Wallace Wade Stadium, Duke University - Durham, NC
04/25/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY
04/26/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY
04/27/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY
04/28/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY
04/29/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Count me in on that April 71 box, that would be the geatest! I wonder if they will release Workingman's Dead and American Beauty together or separetly. Workingman's came out in June of 1970 and American Beauty in November of 1970.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My copy arrived in the Netherlands this afternoon, nicely in time for the weekend. A storm is expected this weekend so no reason to go outside leaving plenty of time for listening. Free of customs interference which was expected as I have never had duties or taxes levied on a Dave's Picks. #2109.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

I'm finished with Dave's Picks.
Just got back from the post office £12.41 the poorer for having to pay customs duty on DP33.
After last year's monumental screw up with DP32, I thought Rhino might have got their act together so far as their European customers are concerned but clearly the incompetence in the company runs deep.
In all my years of buying Dick's Picks, Road Trips and now Dave's Picks, I have NEVER had to pay customs duty so what has changed? (That question is entirely rhetorical as no one within Rhino will have the decency to respond).
Why can't they do what Amazon, for example, do and pay the duty on our behalf?
I could bear paying an additional £4 but what kills me is paying those lazy b******s at the post office £8 for the pleasure of screwing me over!
Regretfully, I'm calling it a day because at over £40 a hit (which is what each release is costing now with all the extras thrown in), Rhino can take a hike.
I leave other European customers to decide what's best for them but, unless we vote with our feet, nothing will ever change

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by GervaseFen

GERVASEFEN

As I said in an earlier post the charges occur almost randomly. However, it is possible that the UK systems are being tightened up now we have left the EU. These charges are not controlled by Rhino/dead.net. As long as they put the actual item cost on the shipment then if it is above the minimum ( I think £15) then the charge can be made. I agree that the Royal Mail charge is excessive. The shipper could put a low item cost on the package but they would be lying. The decision to buy or not to buy is up to individuals. I will keep ordering limited edition issues from dead.net because I want them and am prepared to pay the charges if they happen. However, I no longer order unlimited reissues like the 50th anniversary cds because they are available from UK suppliers, usually at a lower item cost, with no postage and with no chance that an extra charge will be levied.

Edit
Rereading your message I see you accuse the Post Office of taking your money. Being pedantic I have to point out that it isn’t them it is Royal Mail. They were once all part of the same organisation but were separated many years ago. The monumental delivery failure was DaP #31 not #32.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Charged for customs as well for first time since DaP 16, £11.80 - not really bothered if it's a one off but not sure I can justify continuing into next years subscription if I get charged for all 4 this year, when each one gets charged 8 quid just for the post office handling it. Still going to buy boxsets but maybe this is the end of the road for DaP, let's hope it's a good year ahead!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html