• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

That's right, I have this show as sbd on 2 cdr.
CD 1 - first set + opener second set
CD 2 - second set continues + encore

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 7 months

Big '77 fan here. I have them all and it's my most listened to year.

BUT, I was wondering, am I the only '77 fan who does not "get" DeKalb?

It's one I don't play a lot, seems kind of stiff sounding, and missing that fluidity and the mellow yet powerful vibe of '77. Best live Might As Well suggests the sleeve notes? Really??! We all hear with different ears but this lacks the bounciness and fun of a decent Might.

To these ears there are better versions of all the songs in the shows around this, before and after.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Yes, you are the only person who does not "get" Dekalb :) I suggest getting in the right frame of mind and give it a few more tries.
One of my favorite 2nd sets ever. Eyes rivals Englishtown imo.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Thin

I would agree - great second set. Before receiving this pick, most of the more memorable comments I read praised up the first set more. Consequently, when I heard it ...its good, but...up until the final track WRS, it didn't quite meet my expectations.The second set though, features some great jamming - the links between Eyes and St.Stephen and St Stephen and NFA are worth the price of admission alone.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

... anyone remember or have this old release. I gave it a spin for old times sake. Still enjoyable after all these rears! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹
Grateful Dead Lp For The Faithful Live 1980 Acoustic Reckoning Radio City

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

Dekalb is a good show.. and I believe Thin was being a bit benevolently facetious :D, this has been a long time favorite of his.

There is more than a thread of truth in his comment of being in the right mood to absorb a show. I am sometimes distracted and even repeat listens don't allow me to open up in the way it takes.... It has taken me years to finally get shows that are long time favorites of many here. Sometimes things just don't speak to me immediately, sometimes I get it years later providing that delayed aha moments, sometimes I never get shows that others praise. That's just the way it is.

Plus.. I can speak for myself, my tastes have changed over the years.

I have learned to trust myself less and try not to judge because tomorrow never knows and something previously unloved might just grab me in a way I did not expect.

Pete's point is well taken. I wonder how in general it compares to #29, The Swing?

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I consider myself lucky that it only took three weeks for my first purchase from this site to arrive and what a great show for me to start with! I particularly like the Looks Like Rain and Black Peter on here but they're all good versions of great songs. While Dave seems to have a lot of favorite shows "from his tape trading days" he's definitely right about this one!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Dap 33-3rd disk really smokes. Play it while doing something at your desk and you will realize "wow, this is some heavy shit. A little jasmine incense helps the mood quite a bit too. Peace. P.S. some beer too.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Yeah it appears one of them is even a BOTanist. I might have to check out that website...maybe some good afghanny kind...yum!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

I forgot about the bots and my anti-bot post. It looks like MaryE and her crack team have deleted those posts, a big win for dead.net and a big loss for count Vlad.

Just thought I'd post a little refresher so it doesn't looks like KCJanes is off his rocker. (well, he is off his rocker, but in no way is the previous post indicative of his mental state, he is just referring to a post that is no longer there).

user picture

Member for

4 years

Superb release. while i can say i have enjoyed listening to several shows by Dead&Co, Jerry shows his strengths in this dekalb show to make for a good contrast with John's style in D&C.

Jerry is a master of letting the rest of the band get their musical style points in, even while he solos, though everyone is soloing in their own way. When Jerry cranks it up he is "accenting" an entire jam section, as much as he is "leading" the band with a "solo". especially the Good Lovin, Jer just crushes it but isn't necessarily doing a solo run of notes, but strikes where everyone else leaves an opening (OR JER FINDS THE OPENING), yet he is in the pocket or riding high above the herd, or even swinging a wee bit low. Just a stunner of a "solo" break in Good Lovin. You expect him to sound one way yet he comes in or lays back in his own unique way. Just an enjoyable stretch of music. Black Peter also has that approach but in Jer's blues mode. Alot of techniques in one song that are not just note runs.

Mayer, while i give him alot of credit for what he is doing with D&C, I feel until this last year, he feels he needs alot of note runs, which isn't a bad thing and he has GREAT tone, but i think it has been until recently he is starting to realize that he doesn't always have to be chicken-picking away. Maybe because the older members are not in their prime like in 77 and dont have that huge popcorn-rolling thunder sound, that John feels he has to fill the audio with so many notes. do not want to sound too negative. I have enjoyed listening to several of D&C's shows, but usually they are the shows that John takes a breath and doesn't feel he needs to be on continual solo mode. More of his attitude to soloing needs to be like when he does blues songs in DC.

in DP 33, Jerry does some great sustained power chord "slides", notes/phrases that hang in the air, or slice sideways-parallel, while the rest of the band do their own solos, whether on bass, drums or rhythm. Jer notes are also just as much"shimmering", even more so than "runs" or "fast". Not every song has to be Big River polka picking (though nothing at all wrong with Jer's polka picking ;) ....

Peace.

LED...interesting post. I have never heard John Mayer, I have to admit, although I have heard plenty of Jerry. I seem to remember reading somewhere...God knows where...that Jerry once said that when soloing he followed, and took inspiration from what the others were playing. He disputed the notion that he was a "lead guitarist", or a leader in any sense of the word, but was simply responding to musical statements made by others.

If this is so, and I haven't just imagined it, then this suggests that Jerry was serving the music, and not letting the music serve him. Maybe the most effective and compelling musicians are those that can do this. Its not always easy to recognise who can and cannot, either. We can all learn flashy licks, but to truly loose yourself in musical communication is something else entirely. Maybe the difference between the two approaches is the difference between music as entertainment and music as art.

I always liked the statement by Keith Richards that there is no such thing as "lead" guitar playing. There is just guitar playing.

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Ok , so I got my copy eventually last week , though not after some digging around on the UPS website . Though I have to say that all though it was still shrink wrapped I’ve bought better condition second hand daves previously on eBay . It had the air of something that had definitely been around the block ( disks fine BTW ) . Anyone else this side of the pond have the same ?
Mainland and us sad saps in the UK .
Stay save all and don’t cough on each other .
😺😺😺😺

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by perithecat

Peri....no, it must be at least 4 weeks since this was delivered here in Lowestoft. And it was in pristine condition when it arrived. I had to go to the depot to pay customs charges before it was released into my care, but apart from that all was good.

Its hard to tell with health at the moment when its best to stay at home and start worrying. I feel a bit rundown at the moment - oh no - I've got the dreaded lurgey!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

My copy is defective. I asked over a month ago for a replacement, which they promised. They still have not sent one and keep putting me off by email. OVER A MONTH!!! What can I do? Nothing. They know they have a monopoly so they can get away with THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

It is March 15, 2020 and have not received my two copies of Dave's Pick's Volume #33?
Customer service is getting worse and worse every time I pre-order or purchase anything!!!!
Does Dave even know how bad it really is??? I mean I cough up money for pre-order and then
get NOTHING!!! No e-mails explaining the problem nothing. I feel like I'm getting ripped off!!!
Very sad!! Dave needs to know how bad this is!! I wish I knew how to reach out to him to tell him in person because this is bad!!! Might have to get lawyer involved.

So this is my e-mail to "The Grateful Customer Service"
Pretty funny if you ask me: Send you out a "replacement Copy"
They didn't even read my e-mail. I got two subscriptions, one for me and
one for my nephew. This is the first time I ever got two subscriptions since
So a week after the release I still did not get e-mail telling me they shipped volume #33
So I reached out to them and this is their response:

February 05,2020
Hello TIM,
Thank you for your email.
We are currently awaiting a quantity of Dave's Picks Vol. 33 numbered stock to arrive at the Rhino office.
Upon receipt, we will send a copy to you.Based upon recent advisements, we hope to receive this stock within the next 4 weeks.
We are very sorry for the delay and inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
Daniel
Dead.net Store Support
We value your feedback! Please CLICK HERE to rate your customer service experience.

So on March 15, 2020 I reached out to them again. This is my e-mail:

Ok!
today is March 15th!!! It has been MORE THAN 4 weeks!!!!
I would like to be informed or shed some light on where my two copies
of volume #33 are!!! Any response would be better than none at all??

Is this going to happen next week when I'm expecting my 2 -1976 box sets??

Tim Dobert

Response:
Hello TIM,
Thank you for your email.
We are currently working with our warehouse to ship you out a replacement copy of Dave’s Picks Volume 33.
We are very sorry for the delay and inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
Daniel
Dead.net Store Support
We value your feedback! Please CLICK HERE to rate your customer service experience.

I feel like I have been scammed $200.00.
Daniel didn't even really read my e-mail. He said he would send out a replacement copy.
The best part is at the bottom of their e-mail:
WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

what the Doc can do.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

I feel real bad about what I said about customer service.
I got a big reality check today about what is going on in our world today.
My issues should be the least of anybody's worries. I'm very sorry.
Please everybody take care of your self. Think positive. We will get through this.
Cheers. Tim

Not that I am in apposition to accept or reject apologies...or influence things in any way. But I would like to say don't worry, and hopefully you are well stocked with plenty of Dead to see you through these troubled times.

Hi Tim, I am guessing you are UK based ? Have you received your DP33 yet as there is no sign of mine anywhere and now getting kind of anxious, small fry compared to what is going on elsewhere but just kind of curious to know if I am the only one without a copy?

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

MaryE....can you help me? I ordered DaPick subscription. I moved in January and did not update my address until Feb 3rd. I emailed Dead customer service the first week of February 2020 and updated my current mailing address. Customer service replied, stating a copy would be delivered to me in four to six weeks. I never received Da 33. I emailed Customer service again about a week ago. They said, due to Covid-19 they are unable to ship. Do you know when I might be receiving my copy? I totally understand that things are slow due to Mother Earth needing to heal while we relax at home/work from home....hope you are well, safe, healthy, and peaceful. Stay bright!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

What the Doc has to say about this...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 9 months

Another member here that hasn't received his copy of Dave's Picks 33...now that 34 is out I'm wondering if that will show up either :(

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by smorris101

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 1 month

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by ChinaMattSunflower

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

In reply to by hendrixfreak

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html