• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I paid $140.
I posted the link last fall for you and I think it was $120 on Amazon.
Now Amazon has it listed as $140, but not in stock until 2/8.
It went up in demand.

It’s worth it. The BluRay sound quality is excellent.

Getting my first listen and it sounds great.
I had this on hissy cassette and listened to it a lot. I like Sarah’s contributions.
Glad to get the audio upgrade.

Nice work NappyRags.

Hampton reference, I assume 10-9-89.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

But that chick gives takes a dip anyway.

Gloves, Dave!
Hat, Dave!

Three cheers for Jeffrey Norman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....but I am a sports fan. Kobe Bryant dead in a copter accident. Making it possibly worse, rumors are swirling his daughters were also on board. Ugh.

Not just Kobe but his 13 year old daughter Gianna on their way to a ball game...also on board was a team mate of Gianna's and the teammate's parent...show your love to all who matter to you...we live on a razor's edge...

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Might it be the vinyl May 4th 1979 issued on RSD 2014? I can’t comment on the quality of this concert because I promised myself some years ago that I wouldn’t buy any more vinyl albums even though it meant missing a lot of Acid Mothers Temple discs.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

...The only thing that makes sense anymore is music!! Anybody check out the Elton Live From Moscow 2-cd set that came out Friday, I found very enjoyable for the most part. My only real complaint is that a couple of the songs go on WAY too long. But overall. a nice step back to 40 years ago.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

I saw them too once, supporting Gong about 20 years ago. Ferocious. The only cds I got by them are called "Absolutely Freak Out (Zap Your Mind!!), and "Acid Motherhood", made with the late great Daevid Allen.

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

Mostly just a reader on this board (so thanks to all the other contributors for providing me good reading on my daily commute)," but a topic for the group to discuss.... Does that lack of sellout of 33 mean that Dave will need to re-examine the 3rd release of the year? Think we'll all agree that the 3rd release over the past couple of years haven't been "just exactly perfect" - thinking Vol 31 Uptown in Chicago (12/3/79) and Vol 27 Boise (9/2/83).

Many have voiced their opinions that the 3rd release of the annual subscriptions have been more of a "filler" release and not "checking the box" for the vast majority of listeners. Without the incentive of the annual bonus disc, I could see a situation where folks could switch to an a-la-carte purchasing approach if they know they will be able to purchase releases once the show is a known item.

I can see Dave and powers that be, thinking long and hard about this and either raising the quality of the 3rd release or maybe even lowering the number back to 20,000.

Trust me - I love the 22,000 number as it allows everybody the ability to purchase and avoids the excessive resell prices on eBay (or sometimes even on this site - yes, you know who you are and we're not "blind" to the fact of what you are doing).

So anyway, just wanted to put out a topic and get folks' view on this.

Thanks

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

looks like the upper limit has been reached

also shipping issues make some hesitant

well, at least there won't be any complaining about being shut out.

and don't worry...the GD organization is still solvent.

watching a show with my better half, "Grace and Frankie". On a recent episode, there was a plot line of a silent auction. One of the items up for bid was Jerry Garcia's sneakers.

The music over the end credits was Eyes of the World from WotF album.

user picture

Member for

10 years

I'm assuming that you're in Vermont, or were at some point. I did a cool backpack through the Greens in 1973, between Watkins Glen (7-27-73 and 7-28-73) and Roosevelt Stadium (7-31-73 and 8-1-73) and the fall shows at Nassau Coliseum (oh yeah, plus returning to school)... Moved on to the White Mtns and the Adirondacks, all in 3 weeks, hitch-hiking all the way. I turned 16 late that summer, with a few four-way blotters in my pocket...

Enough nostalgia! To your question, yes it seems that, at this point, Dave is unloading some so-so shows in the 3rd pick of the year. I do not like that approach. Rather than suggesting another 10 years of Dave's Picks (I think he has stated 20 freakin' years = his retirement) -- that's 40+ shows -- why not state that we're looking at a 10-year timeframe for the series, even the vault output?

Say two shows per year get released as RSD releases and/or studio album/companion live discs. Add six shows for an annual box. That's 48-50 shows over the next decade. I can name 20-30 classic or peak run shows that should come out and there's an equal number of under-hyped goodies that others could suggest. Sure, I'd like to hear many of the mere ~75 shows I attended, 1972-1992, but there's no need to dribble out the hum-drum, slack shows to leaven the gems.

I understand they have another 1,000 shows in the vault. So what? Why not keep the vault output focused on the very cream of the crop? And call it good within the third decade of the 21st century?

If the remaining band members and/or their heirs want to extend the legacy, then just reissue the very cornerstone recordings for future fans. (We can all cream over which ones qualify!)

Also, personally, I don't care for filler. Either put out a show or a compendium of partial shows, but don't stick a few random tracks onto a "short" Dave's Picks disc. The fact that these discs can hold 80 minutes is meaningless to me. Break up a show to fit properly on (3) discs and move on! Obviously, I do not suspect my view is anything like universally held.

That is all for now. I really look forward to the incoming Dekalb show, though I'm sated on '77, Dekalb was an early cassette blow-out we all got ~1980. It's a stone rocker.

To summarize, if Dave throws me 3 of 4 hot DPs and one so-so per year, I'm still an avid subscriber.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

SELL OUT; I think if they initially sold all but a few hundred of the run that’d be perfect. Not too much extra inventory, but enough that folks could grab one down the road if need be. Also helps keep the resale price down, which also may help some head later on....

THE RAPIST; it’s a shame about the rest of the folks, and I don’t want to talk I’ll of the dead, but I live in the town where he was being prosecuted, and well “ I know a little something you won’t ever know” .....let’s just say that just because he didn’t get convicted doesn’t mean he wasn’t guilty....no means no, even if the say yes at first, and that’s all I’m going to say about that. The only reason I’m bringing it up is because it’s going to be hard watching all the praise and media hype about someone like that....
So what happens then when OJ dies?

VINYL: so since my server is off to its maker for some tweaks and updates, It got me to get the table set up finally.
Thus I’ve been listening to some old records, many that I don’t have on disc. Big time bummed though as I was looking for Wake of the Flood and American Beauty but can’t find them. I used to have everything “official” up to Go to Heaven except Long Strange trip. Couldn’t find 2112 or the first live Rush album either. Those I might of traded or sold decades ago, but I don’t think so cause I still have Farewell to Kings.....so I spun up that, a bunch of Dead, Jimmy Cliff Give Thanks, Soulive Rubber Soul, some macca, Kansas, Bromberg and some Hendrix I haven’t heard in decades; Midnight Lightning, soundtrack from the movie Jimi Hendrix, and Band of Gypsies. Forgot how good some of that was!
Also listened to Ready or Not some more, and Bless it’s pointed little head. New stuff that I’m getting used to.
So stoked for new release but bummed my initial listen won’t be via the mighty Ref 3 😟
The good news is when I get the server back I’m getting a emm labs Dac2X V2 which is a huge upgrade! Woo-hoo...

EDIT; PM me if any one needs a sweet DAC? I need to sell my Wired 4 Sound DAC 2. No I do not have the Dsd upgrades but it’s in mint condition....

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

We may be at 77 saturation level. As Jim said, some people get bored of their supermodel girlfriend and want something that is imperfectly brilliant.

Combine that with the fact that Rhino can no longer be trusted to actually deliver what you paid for and some people may be resistant to buy a 77 show they may never have heard of.

I expect a faster sell out for DaP 34, unless PNW Box has created a 74 saturation also.

Dave may need to pick an 80’s show for the third release, something from an unsaturated year.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

My CD collection needs to be indexed again so I’m not sure how many AMT releases I have. I certainly have more than 50. I’d guess that the only band I have more by is the GD.

Dave Rock
There is at least one more CD that has Daevid Allen on ‘Live in Nagoya’ by Acid Mothers Gong. I like their amusing album title e.g. ‘Do androids dream of electric tapirs’ or ‘Starless and bible black sabbath’.
Kawabata Makoto is a great guitarist.

Yes - Born in VT and lived there for 25 years minus a couple of years when I lived in Charleston SC. Those years in SC allowed me to get up to Charlotte NC and catch my first shows on the summer 91 and 92 tours. Also, caught Buffalo in '93 and of course the Highgate shows in '94 and '95, but anyway.... (Sixtus - think we may have been at UVM at the same time, and now with your recent move, you live one town over and our kids will share the same high school)

Yes, I read your prior post talking about your journeys. What a great way to experience the road at such a young age. Great life lessons on just leaving how to make it on your own.

Totally agree with your conclusion - one so-so show a year also won't stop me from being an annual subscriber. Love the bonus disc and also just being able to sit back on wait for the shows to arrive in the mail. Sad to hear about all the other folks with shipping issues. Not sure how Amazon can do a 900 trillion packages a day without all the screw up - but let's hope it gets better and everybody gets the CDs they ordered.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

HF, good to see ya. Though I don’t disagree with your post. I’m guessing Dave is trying to give those of us that would like some shows not from the 70s at least something. Now I’m not up on all the details pertaining to the vault, so don’t know what there is that’s useable etc. And we do know that after a certain point most are cassettes or DATs of house mixes, so I understand that limits his choices, but you’d think there’s enough stuff good enough for an occasional release. Some old Dicks, and stuff I’ve heard so far from Boxilla is decent enough to enjoy imho, so there should be something....
Really this goes back to Kayak guy and discussions from back a couple years about having more kinds of releases depending on quality etc, and remember all the talk of making the entire vault available via the Terrapin Museam. Rember when some band members were hot to sell it out using the excuse that it would pay to have the whole collection digitized and every show available ala carte, but Phil said no way because he never wanted to hear say Truckin’ during a Chevy commercial and Mickey said he must of got the liver of a jerk or some such thing?
You’d think that they’d spoon out the high quality Beatty’s etc like they’ve been doing, but have some lesser formula for the other, lower quality recordings, or some way that folks could get what they want?
I bet a lot of people would pay for say some of the shows they were at even if not top quality multi-tracks, and depending on how tptb did this, there’d be enough money in it for them?
Once all the shows are digitized, you’d think they could have an automated system that could burn discs on request, stuff it in some cheap generic packaging, and mail it. Then again, they seem to have a hell of a time getting product in people’s Hands already....

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by Green Mtn Dead

Welcome Green Mtn Dead - and small world it seems, we may have a few meaningful overlaps to investigate. Check your PM....

Always great to see new folks pop on and chime in.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

10 years

First, let's agree that setlists don't tell the whole story... or disagree!

Case in point: 12-26-81, Oakland Auditorium. It has a ho-hum setlist: Alabama > Promised Land, then a groovy Candyman (a personal favorite), Little Red Rooster, then Jerry busts out Big Boss Man (one time only), long Weather Report Suite. Later, Scarlet > Fire, Estimated > He's Gone, later the Eleven jam into Truckin'........ (last Eleven jam).

It's the energetic, enthusiastic (and smokin') vibe they manage here. I once mentioned this and Marye said she was there and concurred.

I can recall a few of many shows at the Rocks in '82 and '84 delivering the goods. I dropped out after Telluride in '87 and didn't see shows until my last in '91 (Chicago) and '92 (two in Albany). So I'm sorry I missed '89 -- cuz I just viewed one of those official videos from '89 and my jaw dropped at what Jer was doing; I'd like that one on disc.

So I'm not categorically opposed to 80s, but nowadays we're not talking shows, we're talking tapes, so my sweet spot remains 1967-1974, with openness towards the truly hot 80s shows. Maybe there's an '89 in good sound quality?

Like I said, if I get 3 of 4 DPs that jump out of the speakers, I'm good. Plus, I like to support archival releases -- one more shout out to the Owsley Foundation for the 5-disc New Riders box -- so that they keep on coming. The only filters are age and $$. I'm still crazy young -- only 62 -- but I acutely sense the limits of those filters.

Is that a mature way of saying something immature? ("I want what I want and I want it now!") Oh well, still human, apparently.

Once again with feeling: would anyone not leap on a fall '72 box? Dave said it was inevitable, at some point....

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Smokin hot! Really nice sound on this copy as well. Happy to share if anyone wants a copy...pm me

Thanks for the recommendation Bobt, so much to choose from 😁 lucky group we are!

Edit: think this is the first time I’ve heard “Keep On Growing”...makes sense...according to DeadBase only played 4 times...3 times in 85 and one time in 86....curious if anyone here saw it more than once?

user picture

Member for

10 years

Jer OPENED 8-13-87 at the Rocks with Big Boss Man.

How could I possibly have forgotten that??

Please do not attempt answers! (I have a hunch... it was 15 years into my 47-years of psychedelic use -- ha ha, beat ya to it!)

HF, sorry, didn’t mean for you to pick, though those are good choices, and it’s always good to hear from you. I was quoting icecrmcnkid “Dave may need to pick an 80’s show for the third release, something from an unsaturated year.”

FALL 72...@#$& yeah, bring it!

CJ/Keep on Growing...love that show. Love that tour!.....saw the 6/30/85 version. Check out Phil doing it at the Denver Philmore with Tedeschi and Trucks (00-01? don’t remember date but you’ll find it)

GREETINGS to Grn. Mnt. Dead

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Oro...I know you love that tour! You talk of it often. Alas I was only 9...which shows from the tour were you at?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 11 months

I'm one of the lucky few who have thus far received everything ordered... hoping my luck hasn't run out!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Finally Received my last item ordered from the Halloween Collection a week ago! and my Daves 33 came today!
Its all Good!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

I was not there, but got to my first GD show at Alpine three years later. That 6.22.85 set one, however, was one of my first tapes. Smokin' Hell in a Bucket opener with a sweet Sugaree to follow-- I know every note of the Sugaree solo I listened to that tape so often.

A couple years later I got the second set and that smokes, too. As a Clapton lover, I couldn't believe they played Keep On Growin' (which oddly enough I just listened to Layla and other... on my commute this morning). There is also a great Lost Sailor and Saint of Circumstance in that second set. Love that show, one of the rare audience shows I downloaded and kept from the archive as there was no soundboard.

Janesville-- I saw the Rolling Stones about a half-dozen times in Wisconsin starting in 1989. I can't remember which show it was at, either Alpine 89 or Camp Randall Voodoo Lounge tour, but Mick Jagger in between songs would namecheck city names. He obviously would look at a map of the state he was in before the show. So, I clearly recall him with his thick accent, saying "Is there anybody here from Jaaaanes-ville?" I laugh everytime I pass Janesville or the city comes up in conversation-- it was such a drawn-out "Jaaaanes-ville" with a pause before ville.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

85;
4/6,7&8/85 (best Easter Sunday ever!) Last GA at the Spectrum. The shows ole Lee Esdee and I became dancin’ Fools and I “learned” how to do the ole hippie high step, lol
6/27, 28, 30, & 7/1/85 (our most favorite fun tour and great shows)
11/ 7 & 8/85 (good ole chrotchfester, 8th early Bday party which lasted until check out time the morning of my Bday. The Dead Heads pretty much owned that hotel those 2 nights)
Not a lot of shows, but I was fortunate that they were all good! GA at Philly, Hershey, and Rochester so hung mostly in front of SB, lawn GA at the rest...
We were going to go to Blossom, but we had soo much fun at Toga in 84 that half our crew went to Blossom and we went to Toga a day early for the party! Though I truly regret missing Day Ripper, that was one hell of a party and I’m still not sure we made the wrong choice 😉 Funny Toga memory. So at some point my buddy and I went into the park to find some peace and quiet and get a little sleep. So we find a secluded picnic shelter and use the tables to crash....well park rangers show up “no camping allowed”.....a, what if we’re just having a picnic, and at some point just take a little nap?.....”picnic is ok, NO camping” lol so that’s how we got around that one. Had a nice nap on our “picnic” saw a crazy show, and been telling that story and laughing about it all these years!
Go Chefs! Not sure who to root for? Have that like time SF connection, but gotta love M Homes! Guy looks so relaxed, like their down by what, 21 against Huston and he’s just sitting on the bench like nothings going on, lol.
Who ever wins, it should hopefully be a great game. So many Super Bowls have been such duds....

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

A lot of overlap with your 85 shows. We did all four of those summer shows and both nights in Rochester. We also flew to NJ to catch the next two Brendan Byrne shows. That was back when Peoples Express was running $19 flights. Good times. I posted a few weeks back that those Rochester shows were sneaky good. She Belongs to Me.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

87' Meadowlands parking cost $1.00. Now parking is around $40-$60 for cars. Busses and limos $150. Just saying. No Dap 33 notice for me either. July 78 box still in limbo. They won't make me crack.....Or will they.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Watching Oro Learning the ole hippie high step...Wow, now that’s something that would be interesting to see....at a picnic...ha ha!

Estimated...I would probably shit my pants if I heard Mick Jagger yell Janesville live! That would be somethin!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Hmm... how worried should I be this time? Subscribed since year one, and I've yet to have any trouble (knocking on wood as I type.) Here's hoping there's something waiting for me in my inbox (or better yet, my real mailbox) tomorrow.

Have a good night, DeadLand!

Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Saw a few shows that year after catching my first one the previous fall in Worcester on 10/9/84 while in my first semester at college. Caught the 4/8/85 show on a whim, some friends at Lafayette College were going so I caught a ride at the last minute. Saratoga 6/27/85 was a super good time, good show. Also caught both nights at the Meadowlands in the fall, 11/10/85 and 11/11/85. 1985 was probably the year that I had the least responsibility in my life, no thought for the future beyond when to get another bag or another sheet, a year of bliss and near complete indulgence in whatever I felt like indulging in at any given moment.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I have ripped it and only listened to Might As Well thus far. One of my very least favorite Dead songs, this one is played with such passion that I do like it. I've had this show with a couple different sounding sources, but this is by far the best. I'm excited for the rest of the show! Sucks that the second disc is like 25 minutes, but I listen mainly on USB drives these days anyway, still the rest of 11/2 would have been nice. I also checked out the Listening Partybthe other day, and even on tablet speakers it sounded great. So, looking forward to this one. Only have one listen in to 32 as of now, so may need to revisit that this weekend. Hope everybody gets theirs quickly, devoid of customs rapings, amd is able to blast it at earliest convenience to yourselves if not the neighbors and spouses and children.

Surprised it's still on sale. Guess 20K was about the sweet spot.

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

neither a cd nor a shipping notice. I am officially not yet worried.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

....shipment notice received - looks like Saturday? This is what happens when they strap these on passenger pigeons with a layover at McHaskell's Farm Stand half way through Tennessee.

Looking forward to it.
SIxtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

I (foolishly) followed the tracking one time on a Dave's Pick. It went Northwest, then Southeast, followed by North, Southwest, North, and finally, delivery. I'll never do that again. It's much more peaceful (for me) to just let it arrive.

That might explain the previously encountered delivery problems. If they are using a species that went extinct in 1914 to carry the orders we are all in trouble:))
I’m in the UK so I won’t worry about deliveries for several weeks yet. I’m confident the order will turn up at some point.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

...clearly, these passenger pigeons are "just clever androids". Singing 'Passenger' the entire time through flight and up to delivery.

Just sayin.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I'm a little concerned that everyone else is getting their shipping notices. I've been through a major nightmare trying to get my Dave's 32 (I've been a subscriber every year). Still haven't received it and I don't have a shipping notice for 33. Customer service has been very unhelpful about getting the 32 thing resolved. They just keep requesting it gets sent to me. And I just keep not getting it...

user picture

Member for

10 years

It's strange, but sometimes I get a shipping notice prior to delivery, sometimes the notice arrives after the product arrives, sometimes no shipping notice at all.

Yet I've never had a delivery problem. Scratched/skipping discs? Maybe twice. (Once in a DaP, one show in the 30 Trips box.)

Just received a shipping notice on DaP 33 today, says delivery this Saturday "by end of day." Hope it's true.

Good luck to all!

Unless you recently returned from Wuhan.

The warehouse has to ship somewhere around 20,000 copies of DaP 33. They aren’t going to get it done in a single 8-hour shift.
Recall that the subscription confirmation email said release on 1/31.
The DaP 33 ala carte sale then said 1/24.
They seem to be right on schedule.

And if your order can avoid the black hole in Franklin, IN then you should be OK.

hi everyone,

I almost always get my Dave's Picks before any sort of shipping notice makes it my way. Fear not, it won't be long.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Current order status: Processing
Shipping status: Not shipped
Naturally no shipping notice received.
My advice: Avoid the bat soup.

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

Ordered mine at the end of November during the sale and still nothing 😾 Sent an email about a month ago and the reply came back saying that it was still being dispatched , they also said that if I wanted I could cancel the order . Hhmmm , make me think they sold more than they had during the sale ??

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

place the order
they take the order (and the $$$)
they put product in shipping container
write address on shipping container
send it

where's the mystery?

(I hear Laurel and Hardy music...)

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html