• 7,825 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JimInMD

Don't tell anyone, but I am smuggling a few extra shows into my desert island travel bag. Picking one is simply impossible.

• JimInMD

4/28/71

That Other_ One is Other Worldly and always takes me back to the first spin of S&_Roses. Among the first records I purchased from my limited revenue stream at the time cutting lawns in the neighborhood.

If I feel in need of an after burner, I'll be sliding in 4/5/71. It's nice to finish this with that closing twofer from this show. Puts me in a good working man's mood to get stuff done. It might even inspire me to cut my own grass.

Edit: The things you have to do to get pass the HeyCow elitists. They did not like the way I discussed cutting my neighbors lawns.

• musicnow

Doc, thanks to you I have that show. It is absolutely top tier stuff! Time for a listen.

• DeadVikes

Favorite Dead show Doc, I am in.

Favorite show of all time, interesting question.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life.....

This well known and deservedly classic Dead show crackles with an energy and intensity that even the Dead themselves could only rarely conjure. I must admit, this is my all-time favorite Dead show. It isn’t flawless, but it’s very powerful and has killer versions of El Paso, The Rub, Cumberland Blues, Morning Dew, Hard To Handle (best ever!), and The Other One. Throw in the big closing jam with TC and voila---magic!!! Without doubt, this is my “desert island” show………………..

You all know what I'm talkin' about..........

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water......

• icecrmcnkd

Hey Now

Applied randomly

I got the treatment a few days ago

• icecrmcnkd

Year

Hall

• JimInMD

July 15th Was not too shabby either.

Apparently Hundred_Year_Hall is a reserved word. The Hey Now police striketh me down for mentioning it in this post, well.. because I listened to it today and it kicked ass and thus inspired me. I'm pretty sure there's no copyright infringement for using those words in a posting, no harm done whatsoever. What a waste to build and install such an obtuse infrastructure. What do the head cheese at Rhino do, smoke tons of crack before the board meeting and dream this shit up? Goodness.

Hit the show mentioned above today (on it's birthday!), I could not resist. That Other One is Other Worldly and the transition out of Love_Light is so, so, so good.

• DeadVikes

Great show Jim. Good first set, recording is good. Yes, love that Scarlet, Touch, Fire,Man Smart. Good Miracle Stella Blue, Sugar Mag finish and then wait, what, a Dark Star encore. Billy must have loved this one.

Think I might check out 7/6/84 from Alpine next.

• daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Shoot, I don't have that one OB.

I know Jim is still without access to the archive.

You saw some great shows in some hot years.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Is tomorrow ok?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

That was a rippin' full speed ahead show. Personally not familiar with fall '82 despite the Alpine '82 shows being foundational in my shows-attended timeline. Will say I never cared for Brent chiming in on Little Red Rooster but always thought that was a late-period thing but here it was in '82. Great Althea > Let it Grow to finish Set I. Pre-drumz Set II is a very much only that era "we've got some new songs and we want to play them" thing. With a driving Ship of Fools in there :) "Ashes to ashes" outro with Bob and Jerry on vocals. Post space awesome. Beautiful longer Wheel intro. Other One! Wharf Rat!! In the end Brent so fired up he's vocally comping a jam in JBG (IIRC). Cherry on top is a beautiful Baby Blue encore.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

7-17-89 anniversary.
I just started Down Hill From Here.

My second show……
(didn’t know I was supposed to go all 3 nights)

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Roosevelt Stadium, July 18, 1972

Outdoors, Summer time, Grateful Dead. Sounds great. For all you weather history buffs, 78-90 degrees, light winds, no rain. Perfect weather for a mammoth Dead show!!

And mammoth it was, a three set stomper!

Solid 14 song first set, that saw the return of Bird Song---in a much more jammy form---after an absence of almost a year, a nice China Rider, cowboy songs, and other sundry rock-n-rollers.

Set two kicks in with a 14 minute gallop through Playing In The Band and features a Truckin’/Dark Star/Comes A Time that even Keithfan would approve of. In fact, I think Jerry was channeling his inner pterodactyl during that Star!!

The somewhat Jerrycentric third set features a very-new-at-the-time Half Step transitioning smoothly into a soulful Sing Me Back Home, followed by a typical 1972, lilting yet rocking Not Fade Away suite.

The Saturday Night encore is missing from the esteemed Mr Miller’s 2006 remaster.

Will it ever make Official Release? I have my doubts. The sound isn’t quite as crispy as some other 72s, and there’s a few audience patches. Even so, worth a listen…………..

Rock on,

Doc
Oppression does not make for hearts as big as all outdoors……

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I’m going to open an Oberon after typing this.

Yes, all 3 nights of Alpine 89 on Blu-ray and CD.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Holy crap, what a great second show (run). I wish I was there. I caught 87 and 88 but circumstances beyond my control prevented me from seeing 89 and by 90.. tail between my legs, I had to rejoin the human race. When I started working in 1990, people still wore suits and ties to work and they had just yanked cigarettes and ashtrays from offices. The Chainsmokers will still quite pissed off about that. Remember those days?

Oro.. what a divine pick 11/8/69 was. When I heard that one tossed out, I tried like hell to fit some fungal shenanigans into the mix, but I could not pull that one off this week. Holy cow what a great show. No wonder Dick held it in such high regards. My memories (I don't hit this one often) were a great show but the recording lacked. On this listen, I thought the recording sounded remarkably good. The first set was much better than what my grey matter tried to tell me, that jam towards then of Schoolgirl for instance, just kept on giving. Pigpen, 13 years of age? It's getting harder and harder to forgive you man, but we love you.

Easy Wind, .. the China Rider was great, especially for the era - they were dialed in and gave us a great, early transition jam. High Time, even the Good Lovin was great and that one is not always on my greatest jam vehicle list. It's got a Cumberland. But the goodies were in the last 90+ minutes of the show. The Dark Star sequence (Dark Star/The Other One/Dark Star/Uncle John's Band Jam/Dark Star/St. Stephen/The Eleven/Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)/Feedback/And We Bid You Goodnight) is one for the ages. There must have been something in the water (or coffee pot).

In fact, this paired up with Alpine 89 are two very high water marks in my humble opinion and to have them come up in the same thread at the same time is powerful juju.

Wowwow stuff

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Enjoyed 7/18/72 Doc, great show. Agree the recording is not pristine but still good.

How about a pristine 72 recording. 7/21/72 from Seattle? I believe this was from the Download Series #10. Let me know if there is any interest in this one.

Keep that Oberon flowing Conekid, I don't think it will be around too much longer this summer.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I was going to propose a 2 for Tuesday: 9/18/87 & 4/25/77 from Boxilla?
In fact, I already started 😇
Their both short…
But let me see if I have 7/21/72, I don’t think I have that one?

EDIT: nope, don’t have it. I’ll stream it mañana.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

9/18/87 check
4/25/77 check
7/21/72 check

Sorry Conekid, no Alpine. That’s probably good as I don’t want to watch that one too much, burn it out.

After the solid status quo 7/18/72 (though that DS was fine!), the magnificence of 11/8/69 (see Jim’s synopsis), and listening more to new jazz, lately, went big today!

I had heard the 87 Boxilla once I think, so it was nice to get reacquainted. Seemed to build as it progressed. With a fun GL>Bamba>GL, Bamba sung by JG in Espanol no less! Forgot how they made GL fresh again paring with Bamba etc.

4/25/77 I had not heard yet. Another that seemed to build with sweet Terrapin Playin etc. Not your usual 77 Playin?

Then back to 72 with a looonnnggg show! Can’t recall anything really jumping out one way or another, so yet another “status quo” show. Oh, cool attempt at what might be the first of WRS Prelude. DB lists 11/19, but this is at least an attempt lol. Summer 72 kinda uncharted for me, so nice to check some out. But next time I think it’ll have to be just one show lol.
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

DV,
the beer store I go to recently got a stack of 12-packs, 2 per cardboard tray, that were canned on 6/19. I bought 4 cases so far and am going to get more before it’s gone. Store it in my basement so it doesn’t get too warm. I’ll keep buying and maintaining the stash of 4-5 cases until it’s gone. I can usually make it to Oct/Nov until I have to switch to something else.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Man, OB, you really are an overachiever with getting in those three shows yesterday. The 87 30 Trips show is always a good one to listen to, it is fun. Audio quality is decent. The 77 30 Trips show is good but has never really struck me as great, but that is what makes this all so interesting. You never knew what you would get.
7/21/72 from the Download Series was one that surprised how good it was the first time I listened to it. Sound quality is really good and performance is outstanding. Sugaree, BTW, Cumberland to start. I like these early versions of Stella Blue. You get Bob with the first WRS prelude after Casey Jones that he stops a few minutes into it. Solid second set, He's Gone Truckin, big Other One. Great show.

I still wish they would release all these download series shows on CD as well as the RT Download shows from 11/5 and 11/6/79. They are already mastered and ready to go. Why not? More music.

Hey Conekid, sounds like you are well stocked for a while. You should try Bell's Octoberfest this year, another fine Bell's Beer they put out in August and September.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

to note that we just launched Grateful Dead on Discord for still more discussion and gathering, so come on down and join in: discord.gg/gratefuldead
Thanks and now back to the pick of the day...
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick of the day: Paramount Theater, Seattle July 21, 1972

LOL somebody beat me to the punch yesterday, but since I write these years in advance, here we are & here we go......

It was to be expected that there would be an energy dip after the white-hot brilliance of the Europe 72 tour……………

Here is a nice little show that one never hears about, most was officially released as part of the download series back in February of 2006. Has it really been that long????

OK, not classic by any stretch of the imagination, but it ain’t chopped liver either. If you were jonesing for some Dead, this would ease the pain. Plus, the official release included some choice filler from the following evening----Garcia channeling his inner Hank, Bobby going all jammy, plus nice versions of Bird Song, Morning Dew, Uncle John’s Band, and Saturday Night.

Lord, if it has to be mellow, let it be like this…………….

Love is a sacred reserve of energy; it is like the blood of spiritual evolution…..

Rock on,

Doc
I arise full of eagerness and energy, knowing well what achievement lies ahead of me.........

While we wait for other picks, I went with Maples Pavilion today, 2/9/73. Not a new show but there is a 2020 Miller out there and it sounds outstanding. Such a good show and you get the first Eyes!
Maybe Dave will release this one next year? Who knows, it would be great.
Get it out!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Brent’s last.
Wow, 32 years ago.

I went to the 21st and 22nd (my 3rd and 4th) shows, but hadn’t bought a ticket for the 23rd because it was a Monday and I had to work. Of course, and I’ve told this story before, just like others had done before me I called in sick from a pay phone at a rest area. No way was I going to get home in time.

I have this show on DVD, think I will dig it out and give it a spin tonight and offer a beer toast to Brent.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

strikes me as a nice alignment between TDIGDH and POTDWD.

for some reason i've never really listened to this run, despite the fact that I grew up a Chicago (area) guy and the midwest and midwest shows are near and dear to my heart always. Plus the band was on in those days - saw 2 great shows less than a month earlier at Autzen.

maybe in part the sadness of Brent, and maybe in part that it's not Alpine which was the real "home' summer venue for us back in the 80s.

relatively new Healy/Pearson Ultramatrix. they closed Set I with a Trucking > Nobodys Jam > Smokestack??!! damn.

(yikes - it was 10th anniversary of Keith's death)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

They played 7-21-90 on Shakedown Stream, so we know they have the video.

7-18,19-90 got the DaP treatment, 7-21,22,23-90 should get the Box treatment.

Really enjoyed the 7/23 show. lots of goodness. really interesting Set I suite of songs. crushing terrapin. really fine mi-fu transition space > watchtower.

just cued up 7/21. missed the shakedown streams so new to me. Jerry bringing it on Jack-a Roe!

Just a Little Light is Brent's best song by far IMO

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I know, deep subject!

Sorry DV I skipped the 2/9/73 since I’d heard it not too long ago.
I know I’m in the minority, but I think there are other 73 shows I’d rather see out before that one.
It’s a good but sorta flows weird, yes the Eyes is perhaps one of the best first versions of perhaps any song,
Yes they do seven new songs, and again, I like it, just look at some of what else hasn’t been released from 73 yet. So it’s not that I don’t think this show is good, it’s just has really stiff competition, at least in mho.

Also didn’t hit the Brentskis this time, though I’ve seen the first and last and they were good. Hard to believe how soon he’d be gone : (

But I did hit: 7/25/82 and found it started feeling a little flat, but as is often the case built up nicely.
Not perhaps a top shelf 82, but still enjoyable.

12/12/92: being a 92 I didn’t expect too much, but this one really surprised me!
I actually listened to some of it twice. This I would call 92 top shelf, though I’ve not covered much ground there yet.
If ya like 92, you’ll want to check this one out! Hell check it out anyway!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey no worries OB. Yes, 73, a year of riches with so much to offer. Maples remains high on my list and this relatively new Miller is A+.. Anyway, Tinley Park, I think Bob t was at these shows and makes an appearance in the video, pretty cool. I couldn't find a good version of 7/23 on the tube.
7/25/82, Tempe, AZ. I will have to check this out tomorrow.

I needed some 71 the other day and cracked out 11/15/71, RT3. 2. Looking forward to #43 maybe by the first week in August.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Looks like HippieChick gotta new gig!
EDIT: Ooops. looks like Mary got rid of her lol.

Im sure DV Maples will see the light of day as you and pretty much everyone wants it, and yes that Miller did sound pretty dern good.
Though they usually don’t do anniversary stuff, you’d think they’d hit us up with a bunch of 73 next year: Box, Dave’s, perhaps a separate release and WOTF 50th…

Not sure if I’ll get hear anything today but will put it up if I do.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Have this going now OB. I love shows that start with Half Step-Franklins, even with a few flubs from Jerry. Went with the Jim Vita audience and it sounds pretty good so far. Nice pick👍

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I suddenly had the urge to plunge into the PNW Box and listen to 5/17/74.
Listening to China > Rider right now. Top notch ‘74

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Played a couple of shows from it this month.

So, I bought a Cambridge Audio AXC35 CD player recently to go with my AXR100 receiver and WOW! A significant improvement in sound quality of my GD CD’s compared to my 10-year-old Onkyo 6-disc changer.
I like the 6-disc changer because you can load it up and press play, but the better sound quality is worth it to have to change CD’s (still not as bad as vinyl).

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Hey Dedhed68, yes, my baby gives me the finance blues, great show. Just hit this one not too long ago but great shows always deserve another listen.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by adedhed68

That China Rider from Vancouver contains one of my favorite moments from any GD show ever played. The sequence where the different parts come together at the conclusion of the jam between the two songs is beautiful and the crescendo at the end explodes as the two songs become one. I suspect when they finished this they all looked at each other for just a second and wondered to themselves, 'what did we just do and how the hell did we pull it off." It is the Grateful Dead at their very best. The one two days later in Portland is no slouch either.

wowwow stuff

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ranks as one of the finer late era shows IMHO. Still looking for a board tape, but the AUD does suffice. Try it w/o looking at the set list before. Fun! :-)

P.S. A week before my first show...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I was at 6-27,28-95 and they were a good time.
Also no SBD for those shows, last I checked. Not even a monitor mix.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

“…the weathers fine”

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The SOTM is no slouch either ('ol Jer nails it) Nice first set. Rain inspired 2nd set. Phil nailing Box of Rain. Thinking this might have been sweet as the '95 30 Trips representative. :-)

P.S. Buses are appropriate...but how about VW buses?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Looking at 8/10/82, Iowa City for today. There are a couple of options, a audience transfer from Miller and a Healy SBD.
Let me know if this peaks anyone's interest.

Edit-I went with the Healy and it is sounding great so far.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Not sure if I’ll get this in today as my current work situation has me somewhat tuneless : (
And we all know the situation is the boss!
No dead all week (“the horror”) so perhaps I’ll just listen on the device?
Little bit of somethin better than all of nothin!
Thanks guys for keeping the train on the tracks!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Well DV I was able to MacGyver some shit together and thus was able to enjoy yet another solid show from 1982.
Perhaps a tad inconsistent here or there, but hey, that’s GD. Nice Stranger FOTD opening. (Sometimes those early Strangers are a tad strange). Sweet On the Road Again>BIODTL and great Cassidy! Energetic second set with full song list etc equals another example of why 82 could be for you!

But, forward, never straight, to perhaps some fine warm up for Dave’s 43, from 11/7/69.
I’ve never heard this one but if it’s half as good as it’s 11/8 neighbor it should be a delight.
All the big songs on a Miller SB, who’s with me!

EDIT: yep, 11/7/69 is muy bien! Totally teased…
Last 2 discs before bed from Rotterdam 72 ain’t too shabby either ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Nice work on getting this one in OB. I agree this another great 82 show. There is something about these China Riders in 82 that really move it. As you said good first set, I really liked the Stagger Lee, Miracle, Bertha to close the first set. And want a second set. That China Rider to open, Lost Sailor, SOC, Eyes, great stuff. Cool Iko Iko out of drums/space into Truckin with a great finish and a two song encore. Definitely worth a listen for those that have not heard it.
Will get 11/7/69 going later today OB. Thanks. No #43 here yet.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I squeezed this one in yesterday also. A nice little show indeed. The recording was pretty clean for the era, at higher volumes it did sound a little thin, the cassette master blues.. I like the setlists of some of these 82 shows also. Another new show for me.

Speaking of new shows, 11/7/69 fills another void.. off I go, should make a good ending to the weekend.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

No pick and no 43 in the PO Box : ( so palate cleanse with 6/20/92…

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Nice show. Sound quality was decent for 69. Thanks OB.

92, you say, okay, I will give it a go later. Just finishing 10/16/89. Haven't listened to this show in a while. Still delivers and a great release from something like 20 years ago. Need to listen to this one more often.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

11/7/69, phew, getting me itchin for 43!

10/16/89: I’ve always thought this was one of the best releases they put out but it seems to get no love?
Whatevs, to each the ur own. I love the song list, the audio, and the playing, all top shelf!
When o when will we get more fall 89 multitrack goodness?

6/20/92: another nice 92 surprise! Still think 6/8 and 6/22 are the ones to beat, but this tour is perhaps underrated!
Check it out, it’s a fun show. Sorry to plow ahead, just trying to get my fix in where/when I can since little to no tunes at work currently : (

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I always liked this release, and so you pulled me down the rabbit hole before I finished 11/7/69. First world problems.

Funny.. to me, there's two separate Playin' > UJB > Whatever Sammy's , pre-hiatus and post-hiatus. Like fraternal twins, I do not love one more than the other, there are similarities but are very different and wonderful in their own way. The pre-hiatus shows have the trippier, unpredictable on the edge of magic drive and the post hiatus often have a harder driving, freight train powerhouse feel.

This one starts with the famous Dark Star and weaves the entire second set into a PITB>UJB Sandwich. It is a little tighter and faster than many with some innovative midi. A really fun second set plus a tight first set (exception maybe Half Step?).

Anyway, I remember that laser disc effort So Far where they attempted UJB>PITB>Terrapin. They went for it and to me they just never got the spicy mustard, more of a warm mayo that was left out in the sun too long.. It was recorded in I think late '85 and they just were not on the same page. There are a bunch in 89 that achieved liftoff, this one is interesting. I was reading the reviews on the Archive and one poster commented they were "a band on a mission" that night. It might not be the best of the year, but I always thought was a solid effort.

Coincidentally, I grabbed a random waterproof ipod off the shelf for a day on the river this morning and hit play in the warmup rapids.. I never know what's on these devices, they have no screen so it's a great mystery. It picked up about halfway through the Morning Dew from 10/12/84 Augusta. After the song ended, I rewound and started the sequence over beginning with Don't Need Love>False Start PITB>Let's do UJB Instead>Drums>Space>PITB>UJB Reprise>Morning Dew. This one had the Spicy Mustard.

That's all I got.. as you were.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I enjoyed this show and was surprised how much. I probably need to listen to more 92. Sound quality of the recording is A+ to my ears. Cold Rain and Snow, Wang Dang Doodle, FOTD and Maggie's Farm were highlights of the first set. Enjoyed the second set Corrina, Crazy Fingers Playing, UJB. Vince with Baba O'Reilly.
Thanks for the nudge to this show OB.
Still no #43 for me, however I received a shipping notice last night from this site.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

NOD is a happy show.

PITB -> UJB...check out 5/21/82.

92: I had cassettes of 2/24/92 which has a good setlist, but the cassettes are elsewhere now. C'est la vie.

6/20/92 has the great Space into CASEY JONES (HOOONK HOOONK!!!)

which they follow up with...Throwin' Stones. sigh.

6/28/92 is pretty good, as I recall from the cassettes.

Someday I'll mine the 92 seam of GD

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!

Pick Of The Day: Family Dog At The Great Highway, August 3 1969

Do I hear a violin? A saxophone? I think what I hear is loosely organized pandemonium……………or magic…………

If you’re a fan of deadweirdnesses, as I am, this one might be for you. The Hard To Handle opener doesn’t quite gel. On High Heeled Sneakers the band & guests channel their twisted stoner inner garage band. High Time and Mama Tried sound quasi-embyronic. The Dark Star is stand-alone, saxy, tasty, and for the time, not bad at all. What follows is a short Alligator, percussive interlude, a propulsive, saxy, violinesque Other One, and a very decent Caution (which gets very weird about half way through). The festivities are gently concluded with And We Bid You Goodnight……

Musically, for the Grateful Dead the Summer of 1969 was uneven, to say the least. Highs, lows, and everything in between. Miller’s remaster is actually pretty listenable. Dare to indulge!

Every weird thing about you is beautiful and makes life interesting.

Rock on,

Doc
The world is a crazy, beautiful, ugly complicated place, and it keeps moving on from crisis to strangeness to beauty to weirdness to tragedy…..

Hey, y'all. Where has the time gone!

I'll spare you my usual Joycean brevity today with just a couple of short remarks and a question.

Forensicdoceleven > That sounds right up my alley!

Oroborous > By chance, I've been listening to a lot of that Rotterdam '72 show lately too. Mega Dark Star, and just all around good stuff. Not sure why someone thought that the drum solo needed to be separated from Dark Star, though, and Dark Star split into two tracks. It sounds like Phil wants to play Bird Song toward the end, but gets denied. Then it seems like he's the one who first hints at Caution, and this time everyone agrees. Great stuff. There seem to be lots of teasing going on in various jams.

The 50th anniversary of Europe '72 has had me digging deeper into the Euro 72 tour. I've got One More Saturday Night on the brain! For some reason the Dusseldorf 4/24/72 rendition got me more excited than usual. Really tight, high energy, without going Hy Hy Hyyyy Hysterical.

I guess you guys mostly stream the SBDs, but does anyone who DLs AUDs have any recomendations for an ID Tag/Metadata editor?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by rockthing

Good to hear from you Rockthing, it has been a while.

Any picks for today?

If nothing surfaces, I may have to pull up Dave's #8, 11/30/1980.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

DeadVikes > 11/30/80: Pretty sure I have not heard that, which makes it as good a choice as any.

I've never managed to snare any of the Dave's Picks and with inflation and ultra weak Yen the way it is, I'm less and less likely to have anything physical imported from halfway around the world.

I'm more than happy to have a dig through the Archive now that I've got a little time on my hands, but the closest I can come in 1980 with something in my actual collection is the Alaska Summer Solstice gig, which I listen to pretty regularly. Scratch that, I just discovered a 10/19/80 Stankiewicz data set that I've never unpacked.

I have 9/2/80 favorited for some reason, but I don't think I've actually listened to it. I mean, I've listend to Reckoning to death, but, perhaps, consequently have not sought out many of the shows from that run. Digging in to Europe 72 may change my mind on that matter.

I think this show is super well-known, but I'm a big fan of the 8/4/74... sorry, 8/6 Roosevelt Stadium gig. I have had a partial board on cassette from some sort of trade back in the day, but I think the Neil Merin audience reel is the way to go with a big outdoor Wall of Sound gig like that. Some of the conversations are pretty hilarious, but it also does a good job of showing how well the WoS cut through with clarity. Shnid 5914 fwiw... sbefail, but who's burning CDs?!

> RE: Family Dog At The Great Highway, August 3 1969

Thank you for that! That IS weird. They really were on the edge of adhesion, and quite frequently breaking free. The violin and sax timbres and harmonies really add something unusual, and completely foreign to the Dead's sound, but are amazingly on. They may be more on than Mickey! lol. The rhythm section really seems to come close to falling apart on a number of occasions when it's not "supposed" to be space or drums. It sounds like they're struggling to come to terms with the return to more trad material, having not yet figured out how to leave the all-out-madness approach of the progressive repertoire out of those numbers yet. Jerry croons on as if nothing is happening. lol. Fascinating listen, and one I hope to revisit soon. I just noticed that I have it on an old HD from my torrenting days, so that's gonna hafta get Metadata ID'ed up and on the ipod soon so I can get into it in the car. The Dead are the only thing that make a brutal commute "Bear"-able. As you say, brilliantly odd performance.

Rockthing - not being able to post happened to me last year for a bit. No reason why I couldn't, and no reason why I could again shortly after. So for you - just a blip, hopefully.