• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Fantastic stuff, bring it on!! Awesome cover as well

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Presumably, they have decided to allow early pre-orders to try to get longer to sell out the set. Their previous decision to only start selling a la carte from the release date has apparently been abandoned. Good luck to those who need to order, I hope it goes smoothly.

As said on the 45 comments the seaside chat is available on utube even though it isn’t on the DeadNet site yet.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I somehow noticed the way Dave brought up DP #50 and then went on to say another comment, something to the effect of "some 50 coming up" Well, it's the 50th for 1973.....possible box set hint??? I sure hope!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Dang Nappy that would have been a great one!

Never heard. cant wait to hear it!!!

Wonder if any change in PA and sound from the E72 recordings.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I'm glad I got the subscription. Getting the Bonus Disc from from this year will be prime!

user picture

Member for

8 years

Just ordered this CD...Looking forward to it, 1972 has got to be one of the BEST Years in Grateful Dead History....
Thou I got ``On the Bus`` Fairly Late, (1969)...And didn`t get to see them Live 'till 1973...I still consider `72 to be the PEAK of Dead Music...
THANK YOU for this Great Offer.....AHO !
THOMAS .

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I had a barking dog and talking child and missed what the tracks were on the 4th disc. Thanks to Dave's seaside chats I did know that was an oyster catcher when it chirped/squawked before he called it out.
Looking forward to some vinyl coming soon RSD, DaP, Bears, FTV1. Wish the big box would be announced soon!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

It's been a while since the last Dave's Picks came from 1972. Looking forward to this release!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hey! I see that there are still copies of Dave's Picks 45 available. Can I get a package deal?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

LET'S DO THIS!!
PLAY DEAD-PLAY DEAD LOUD!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Dave didn't say, but he reminds us there were tracks on DiP 36 from that Boulder show which is part of the bonus disc.
He's Gone, The Other One, and Wharf Rat were on DiP36 so guessing it's not those?
He did say "box" and "other things" (plural) so let the guesses begin.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Always look forward to the second release, definitely the best of the year, every year it seems.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Would have to think box set, Wake of the Flood 50th release, sweatshirts sweat shorts, gardening tools etc.

Still waiting for the comments on the price increase.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Another order successfully completed. It seems to be more difficult placing an order with deadnet than anywhere else I order from. Maybe this is why they don't sell out so fast these days.

user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

2023 cover art is back to form. Beautiful and relevant to the show! Really looking forward to some seasoned post Europe ‘72 Good Old Grateful Dead recorded by The Bear!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Much better.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Definitely.

(46 on order.)

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Order has been restored to the universe again.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

....much better. Got Stoned twice on 4/20. Good to have him back jack.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Really looking forward to this one. Wish they listed the Bonus Disc tracks.

Maybe the 1973 50th Anniversary year will fiiiiiinally have 6/10/73. And 6/9. And Watkins Glen. Bird Songs....lots of Bird Songs. And then half a dozen shows with Dark Stars...

Anniversary of The Grateful Dead Beat Club 4/21/72, so pull out that trunk and tune into The Other One to get your socks blown off your feet.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

....put that on a print, and I will purchase it. Thanks.
I'll be in Hollywood Saturday. Imagine that.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Good review of this show in the Taping Compendium. Looks like there's a powerful "Truckin-Other One" jam, which suits me. This jam really stood out for me on recent listens of 4/7 and 11/4 72 at Wembley and Newcastle. It will be good to hear how it shapes up 5 months later.

Colin - I never saw Camel live. I would have been quite happy to tag along if I'd known or gone out with anyone who liked them, but I never felt sufficiently interested to seek them out myself. They must have played in Manchester countless times between about 1972 and 1980, but I never seemed to notice when they did.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

Indeed.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

It's been a holiday as far back as I can remember.

Which was yesterday.................

A good memory is one trained to forget the trivial............

Rock on,

Doc
A retentive memory may be a good thing, but the ability to forget is the true token of greatness......

So, our local store requires that you get a numbered bracelet the day before (today). I drive down a half an hour before opening and 50 people are already in line. Guess I'm ordering online again. Either that or I'll finally purchase a turntable so I can listen to what I own.

DaP46 - love the cover. I've always been on the wrong side of the bell curve when it comes to intelligence, so I don't mind asking this question. Am I supposed to know the woman? Also, any help with the symbols would be appreciated. Feel free to ask me a math or hockey question in exchange for your kindness.

The hockey universe returned to normal across the board last night. Save maybe the Devils. Mike, while I remain optimistic, I also recognize that the loss of Hedman (and Cernak to a lesser extent) severely hinders the Bolts. Nevertheless, keep the faith.

Vguy - congrats. Hope you enjoyed the game.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Jack - I wondered the same thing, if she was someone specific to the show/town/time, or she is some Michelle Phillips/California mock up? Great cover, though.

Oro - I think we need to take Doc’s words to heart - forgetfulness is ok, and sometimes in things like marriage, a survival skill.
PS - What’s with your AVs? I though they would crush the Kracken. I didn’t give Seattle enough props.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

A lot of times the DaP covers have something to do with the set list, like we had train 102 on the cover of 44 because there was a rare 1977 performance of Casey Jones, or we had the ship on the cover of 42 because it was that had the debut (I think) or Ship of Fools. So here's my theory about the cover of 46: she's Stella Blue.

Very very stoked about this release. Sitting as it does smack dab in the middle between Veneta (possibly my all time fave show, if this such a thing) and the 9/21/72 show that formed one of the very best (IMHO and all that) Dicks Picks, a time when the Dead was indeed en fuego, you know it's going to be a doozy. And there's a 30 minute Other One? And bonus disc from the same time span? Yes, please.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

…yeah, me too? Nice change from bearded skeletons…makes me want an orange dreamsickle!

Your not wrong Mike…..cept she never lets me forget it ; )

GO LEAFS! That’s how you start.
1 down….
Yeah Kraken, my new favorite team! Respect!

user picture

Member for

12 years

brutal...

The cover art, on the other hand, is inspired & beautiful; a huge relief from that long stretch of silly skeleton art.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

My take is that it's the Spanish Lady handing us a rose to crater our minds, but the blue does invite the idea that she is Stella Blue. That is the heart of this show. That whole hour+ of E is fantastic, but just terrific take on TOO and my favorite 1972 Stella. Phil is all over this show, and he destroys these especially. Listened to the Listening Party last night, and was blown away by the Bird Song. Can't wait for the Playing! '72 Dead is just something else entirely, and it's so good.

Side note: while digging that Bird Song last night I pondered back to why didn't they play it in Europe? Would have become a staple with exploratory jams, and it may have even found itself in a second set jam. Alas.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

She also appears to be pyramidical. Again, not sure why.

Edit: I enjoy the ambiguity of the design. I’d rather spend my time trying to ascertain a hidden meaning rather than wasting it only to realize that bearded skeletons are nothing more than bearded skeletons.

I like the Spanish angle, but the stars and crescents are throwing me off. They are Moorish. But, as we all know, it was the Moops who invaded Spain, not the Moors. So you may be correct.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I drove downtown an hour before opening to get a number for tomorrow, and I’m stuck with #72. I’ll still show up, just for the halibut.
I appreciate the reminder to open my trunk. It sits right in my music room, but seems to disappear into the background sometimes. I’ve always thought that the last 4 shows (overall) are pretty much superb, but there are too many other moments that deserved to be memorialized. Does anybody else remember the emails that kept updating us as to how many actual discs would be required?? I swear I remember at least 3 updates.
THATMIKE-it was fantastic watching the Maple Leafs last night!!Now they need to split in Fla.
Maybe you’re younger than me, but Scott Stevens played his first 8 seasons in Washington. Those are the years I cherish.

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I forgot about Scott Stevens playing in Washington! I remember him in St Lou & NJ, but you are absolutely right (Remember Doc’s wise words on forgetting!) His hits on Paul Kariya and Eric Lindros are the stuff of legend. But I’m definitely an old time fan, I actually was following the Leafs & NHL as a kid in the 60s, even before the last Cup for the Leafs, a life long passion. Last night was beyond words. Cannot wait for the games in Florida, and a split there would be great. Now, if the Panthers could maybe upset the Bruins, and DaP 46 would hit mailboxes in the next few days…
Life is grand, and if I may quote you “Music is the best!”

user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

Phew. Inflation is a Bummer! But just another reason to subscribe for the year. Penned out for 2023, it’s only $7.64 per disc for me here in WA state with sales tax.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

makes me laugh how much negativity that imagery brings out

Now, if they were bearded clams, people probably wouldn't complain

I do like the new cover art, even though that's not why I am looking forward to the new release

Moops...lmfao...

MOOPS!

....you sunovabitch. Nice one, and probably correct. Weens Chocolate And Cheese has one my favorite covers. As does The Black Crowes Amorica.
Hey. What can I say?
My White Stripes Elephant 20th anniversary double LP arrived today.
Seven Nation Army skips right from the start. The rest of the first LP is spinning fine. Time for LP two.
Noticed that the lyrics for I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself is missing on the sleeve....c'mon man!
Edit. Just realized it's a Burt Bacharach cover. My bad.
Edit again. Ball And Biscuit is also skipping. Ugh.
I'm dipping my toe back into the vinyl, but, no matter how cool the splatter LOOKS, and this one looks really cool, skips right out of the gate is frustrating as all get out.
I want to hear Jack Whites distortion, but not over and over again.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

Saddened by the loss of Joani Walker...We all owe her a standing ovation. Latvala!!! Joani

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Incredible that it's 20 years since "Elephant" came out. I remember playing that on Fridays nights after the week at work and before I went out . I saw The White Stripes, once, playing some Yardbirds covers with Jeff Beck. It was his show, and various luminaries came on to play specific songs. John McLaughlin was another one who pitched up.

This new Dave's cover looks a bit androgynous to me.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

I gather that the concentric circles mimic the ceiling of the venue, which is located on Sunset Blvd.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Stoltzie, my fellow GD denizen, you write like I think on many an occasion, and now, bearded clams!?!, LMFAO

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Grateful Dead discussion.... ;-P

PS edit- It's no wonder not too many of the fairer sex chiming in around these parts lately? hahhaha

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

It was just too easy

Waaay back there was a locally produced satirical comedy show in the Seattle area

One time the show opened with a text crawl and a voiceover;

"The following program contains content that might offend sensitive viewers

Like wusses, and wimps, and weenies"

Still makes me laugh today

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

On PBS Great Performances "Now Hear This" episode last night I saw an amazing percussionist that I'm sure is on Mickey's Hart's world beat radar as he has done a lot of videos. His steel drum skills are phenomenal, he is a composer, and he does very cool collaborations like one with a pianist playing a "prepared" piano with dimes wedged in between certain strings to have a percussive effect. And it sounds great. He plays just about anything from paint cans to vibraphone and even invents instruments out of anything, like a truck brake drum. He did a duet with the host Scott Yoo on violin and Andy on steel drum that was sweet. I can't say enough about this humble, very cool guy and his many skills and that show is worth looking into if you have the time. I'll be looking up those videos today for sure.
Cheers

I can remember in the early 1980's if they showed a film on television with sexually explicit content, they used to put a red triangle in the top corner of the screen to warn people. I suppose they thought some people might miss it otherwise .They often seemed to be on when we came back from the pub, and we used to sit there eating our supper, waiting for the good bits to come on.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html