• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • jrf68@hotmail.com
    Did you old fuckers eat the brown acid or what ???

At this point, with all you whiney old-timers just bashing everything and trying soooo hard to ruin the fun for everybody else I'll poke the pissy bear again.
    I'm glad the DEAD invited me to THEIR party(not yours) and while I had fun, life altering experiences, now I'm kinda glad and laughing that "I killed" the real DEAD.
    F.U. and the old crotchety horses you all rode on.
    What a bunch of clowns. Ha!
    :O)

• Vguy72

....I'm one of those "newer" fans. Have a Grate evening.
    E.T. Phone home.
    I was kinda happy that they would finally release a late era box. Yet also scared because of the eventual backlash. Amazing.
    Another late era box will most likely never happen. So get em while they're hot (shite).

• SkullTrip

Well, I just saved 150 bucks.
    And to celebrate, I'ma play the June 77 box.
    Nice and LOUD.

They say hindsight is 2020. Maybe next year.

• rbmunkin
    Default Avatar

The description of this set itself explains why the Dead weren't very good in the '80's to '90's. The new fan base brought them down to the lowest common denominator. MTV and it's fans ruined music. I won't bother with what is sure to be mostly "phoned in" shows for mass consumption.

• Vguy72

....the Grateful Dead didn't stop playing in 1977. Or 1974. Or 1972. Or 1970. They stopped playing in 1995. Imagine if Jerry lived on. Then imagine the reaction if a 1999 Grateful Dead show was released now? It would probably be considered like.....super-garbage? I don't get it.
    I got what I wanted. The Ark will happen eventually. Just hang on.
    I like it all. Even the "shitty" Dead. All 48 tracks of them.

• muleskinner_blues

Ok cool.

I was skeptical at first, I find the connection tenuous in the sense of consecutive shows across multiple years in a 65,000 seat arena, but shortly came around to the idea of multiple years of shows in good quality that people think highly of.

I love the connective tissue in releases like Europe '72, Spring '90 or even PNW '73/74, so I'm still not completely sold on (to me) an impersonal stadium across 5 years, but I'm more excited about the specific shows and the Blu-Ray as I read about them.

Brent > Vince/Bruce, I'm supportive as a neophyte still taking on anything I can get. Listening to GarciaLive 11 Deal from 1993 right now, I love the comment earlier about how this set matches the year of Jerry on the Eel. Happy birthday!

Brent, Vince, Bruce, anyways, I love it. Glad to see them represented, I want to hear it all. I don't blame anyone that isn't a fan, but I'm on board.

No you can't find it in no night club or no yacht club
    And it ain't in the seats of a supper club
    And sure as hell you're bound to tell
    That no matter how hard you rub
    You just ain't a-gonna find it on yer ticket stub

I'd never have expected them to strike a deal with Dylan & Co for his set of 7/12/87, but it's still too bad. Jerry and the boys pushing him to some rarities and ultimately the advent of the Neverending Tour in 1988 (check out Chronicles), not to mention the first Tomorrow is a Long Time since 4/12/63 Town Hall NYC, featuring Jerry on pedal steel for the first time in 15 years. Switching now to the Dylan boot of 7/12/87, I presume ya'll have it if you want it but I'm more than happy to provide if not, from the Dylan side of the road...got 4/12/63 too, and that should not be missed, period motherfucker. That's the one with the Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie..

And though it's only my opinion
    I may be right or wrong
    You'll find them both
    In the Grand Canyon
    At sundown

• daveyboy_26
    Default Avatar

I'm just not buying Dave's hyperbole after the most recent Dave's Picks. Its a decent show but in my opinion not even in same orbit as the Fillmore East show that preceded it. He's gotta sell/move product I guess.
    This boxed set is a pass for me.

• Trainwrecked

Well maybe they mixed Brent out since its multtrack. Im happy for the people that got their wish, but I just cant stand it. I was at 2 of these shows, had a blast, but being there and hearing a palyback are 2 separate things. It ain't selling out by Monday. Right in the nuts.

• Gratefulhan

I have followed the discussion of gueses of wgatc6the box would be on the DaP 31 comments. I am fairly certain someone called this correctly or very close to it. Who ever you are nice work!

So I bought the blu rey version without hesitation. I am excited simply because I really got turned on the summer 91 tour about a year ago, so that is enticing on it's own. I only got to see the Dead with Vince so essentially he is my guy. I have able to have seen Bruce in post Jerry line ups and he is just great. So once I started to explore 91 shows they just clicked for me. Now having 2 more summer 89 shows is great, really can't go wrong there. Adding that 87 show is the icing on the cake. Admittedly I am not as much if a fan of 87 shows. I had many in tapes back in the day and besides 9/18, I remember an 87 Foxboro show standing out. Also TPTB have only released 3 87 shows with one being the aforementioned 9/18 show, plus the View from the Vault shows. I think this box set is covering a lot of good ground musically so it is win for me.

I ended up skipping the MUATM this evening. Although it would have been cool to have watched the 6/17 show on the big screen, I am feeling good that I will be able to watch it whenever I want on blu Rey. More importantly I spent the early afternoon with my wife visiting and catching up with one of my buddies, his wife and kids. I dont get to see many of my friends too often just due to work and life responsibilities...never know when some one will not be on this Earth anymore so I try to make time to see people. So after spending that time with my buddy, my wife and I got a bite to eat and went home. I am now going to fine tune myself, spin a few shows and relax. This is a good way to start The Days Between.

Peace to you all...

• SPACEBROTHER

In light of the passing of Art "Papa Funk" Neville and the guest appearance on the later half of 7/10/89 2nd Set, this set takes on an especially important tribute (for me anyways) to another legend gone. R.I.P. Papa Funk.

Similar to Dave's experience with coming into the Dead, I came onboard in 84 at 16 years old. Caught my 2nd and 3rd shows at Alpine in 86 then 4th thru 6th at Alpine 87 a couple of weeks before this 87 Giants show.

Caught 1 show in 88 at Buckeye , then by 89 started upping my attendance by attending multiple shows on multiple tours. All in all about 50 shows between 84 to 95 plus two JGB shows in 91.

87 through 91 was filled with consistently fantastic music from what I attended and know these Giants shows are all A+++ Dead.

Thank you for releasing this. Now back to my Neville binge.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html