• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Viewfromthefault
    Default Avatar

As I recall the Neville Brothers joined in second set on a rainy 7/10/89. I remember seeing a lot of twisted ankles of those trying to get on the field. Ahh the memory isn’t gone yet.

As for the saltier people in here, I’m sorry life isn’t how you imagined it, to but no amount of raining on the parades of others is going to make it better.

• snafu
    Default Avatar

I hear you. Live/Dead was their last album haha. One thing for me though was JGB etc. Picked up in the 90's and Jerry may have focused on other things a bit more. I know I concentrated on seeing his side trips more

• simonrob

It ain't pretty. You all know who the guilty parties are here, on both sides of their petty, unwinnable argument. We are discussing music here, or are supposed to be, not letting the ugly side of one's character be shown to all who happen to read these posts. One is judged by what one posts and those judgements tend to stick. We know exactly what to expect from certain posters and any amusement value therein has long since disappeared.

• masonskids

What do the asterisks represent for the 7/10/89 show?

• neveralull
    Default Avatar

The 1987 show features most of the In the Dark LP, the 1989 and 1990 shows fill in with the best songs from the Built to Last LP (both albums not well represented in archival live Dead CDs because they were their last two studio albums) - and I just saw the movie tonight - a quirky set featuring mostly older (but several recently revived at the time) songs, and a joy to see both Bruce Hornsby and Vince Welnick playing together - adding a lot of keyboard energy. Overall, a lot of relatively rare material.

• jrf68@hotmail.com

• Trainwrecked

And to think I said I was happy for the people who got their wish. I meant everybody but you, ya panhandler. Listening to you call somebody else a whiner is just precious. If I want to see a cover band I'll go catch Dead and Company. But to spend money listening to Brent Mydland ruin every song written before 1980? No thanks. Take Dave's Picks 31 for example. Talk about a band in decline. In just one year, we go from something like Road Trips, From Egypt with Love to that cover band rehearsal show on 12/3/79? And Egypt with Love is a band already downward spiraling. Yet it's still so much better than your precious Brent garbage. I can barely hear Garcia over that overmixed Hammond. Now Pigpen, there's someone who knew when to play a B3 and when to keep his hands off the damn instrument. I ain't out to buy nostalgia. I'm out to buy good music. You're going to call me out by name? Quit bullying me or I'll throw it right back at you. I hope your box set that you talk somebody into buying for you shows up with dents and scratches, and a big skip at your favorite part.

• Infinitejest3

So I went ahead and ordered the damn box set but I got the dvd not the blu , I’m not going to just give them all of my money 💰 😂! Saved 10$ , why the cheap skate? Well ( as of now anyway) it really doesn’t make a difference, dvd or blu ray doesn’t really Matter to me and I don’t watch em that much, watch Veneta every once in a while but I don’t think I’d care if it were blu ray or dvd!
    Man I listened to DaP31 over and over looking for the gripes and I honestly don’t feel the complaints but hey each there own; but I will say this I’ve seen people write Jerry off for getting high and then they start ragging on his playing but I always feel like it has nothing to do with his music but on some subconscious level people will say oh he was slow because ( and they give your their almighty 👀 look) he was getting high( real nasally voice for the last part! Lol come off it already 12/3/79 yeah he might have been chasing the dragon so what( hence the cover maybe 🤔😂)but like I said it’s slow and nuanced and I feel him purposefully holding the notes , slowly, ya dig( probably not)! Look I’m all for ripping 73 74 76 77 Jerry ( my favorite years) but the cat had many styles, approaches.... I don’t know what do I know? My opinion, that’s what music is is an opinion it’s never factual and that’s why I love it! The study of it is a Theory...
    So I dig and appreciate daves31, and if it was shit and sloppy I’d say so but I’m not feeling that assessment.
    Yeah i was on the fence at first about the box set but then I thought about it and I said man the quality of the sets they’re coming out with for this band I love are such a great deal when they are at that sweet spot of 150 once a year why not! and the buck for Dave’s picks as well “you got me grinning from ear to ear” (all year)much love ✌️
    P.s. I’m not an advocate for anyone playing with fire and that’s what Jerry was doing, but to keep it in perspective it was probably cigarettes more than anything that took its toll along with everything else but yeah .... just say no!

• jrf68@hotmail.com

I'll crawl...

• nappyrags

I nearly forgot that the last three days were the 31st Anniversary of a Laguna Seca run that co-billed David Lindley & Los Lobos...great great weekend and a fine time was had by all...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html