• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • WharfratWhitey

Last nights MUAM really felt special. It brought me back to a time when I was first discovering this incredible band. For most of us the majority of our GD experience is listening to audio so it’s very sweet when we get a top shelf video offering like 6/17/91. It was really fun watching Not Fade Away Band play live before the movie. They rock! The spirit of the Dead lives on my friends. You can find it out there. We, along with good folks like David Lemieux & Company and of course the band keep this thing Truckin’ on! Thanks so much!

• annalee10
    Default Avatar

I saw all five of these shows and had a blast. The 89 show with the Neville’s was a real good time. The 6-17-91 show makes my top ten of the best shows I saw. The New speedway is fantastic!
    However,If I got the whole box I probably wouldn’t listen to it that much, so I will settle for the single show release.
    I think variety is a good thing in these releases, but I am frustrated that the Alpine 89 shows remain unreleased. RFK and Giants 89 were decent, but Alpine was great. 7-17-89 is another top ten show that I saw.
    It probably won’t happen this year, but I was really hoping for Ark 69 box this year for the 50th anniversary. Dave has to know it’s the most requested box on these forums. Oh well, as George Carlin said, “ you can’t have everything where would you put it.”
    Keep it kind everyone, peace.

• Trainwrecked

This is about how it usually goes Space. Somebody says they don't like your brand of Grateful Dead and you call them out. All I said was, it ain't selling out by Monday. You escalated to "Clockwork Not even worth indulging Trainwrecked and his whiny post"

So that's why. If you're going to bully me I'm going to bully you back. And look at your response. Laced with profanity. You don't find that in my post. I didn't have the most middle-class upbringing, but you truly behave like a classless toad. I'm not the only person here who's had this experience with you. Sorry to the rest I should learn to ignore him. Just frustrated with this release. My opinion.

• icecrmcnkd

(That’s from The Simpsons. Kent Brockman to be exact)

Amazing how some so called ‘deadheads’ can spew such hatred at the Grateful Dead.

I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused Pigpen to die.
    I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused the band to do massive amounts of coke in the 70’s and 80’s.
    I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused Keith and Donna to be removed from the band.
    I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who were supplying Jerry with heroin.
    I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused Jerry to smoke a pack or more of cigarettes a day.
    I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused Jerry to be overweight and diabetic.
    I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who put Jerry in a coma.

• KeithFan2112

The Giants Stadium picture. Under the excavated lattice of the structure.... they did bury Jimmy Hoffa there.

• SPACEBROTHER

Wtf is your problem? Do you just sit back and wait for me to post so you can just attack me when I post something? Every fucking time.

Why do you even bother? Nothing better to do with your time than come on the Grateful Dead sight and act like a fucking asshole to me every time I post here? Take that garbage back to your stupid Facebook group.

Most people have positive reactions to this box. The privileged here hate others enjoyment.

To hope somebodies arrives damaged is just spiteful. What does one say in response to such petty nonsense?

• Mr. Pete
    I'm glad to be able to hear the music....

Critics, Deadheads, and me. Since I am "old" I have a somewhat different view of things. First, I want to thank Dave and the rest of the individuals who put out all the dead music for us to enjoy. I was not able to attend any of these shows so it will be a thrill to be able to sit back, light up my Garcia meerschaum pipe with some good Latakia pipe tobacco, a cold beer in hand, and push the play button. I know that some of you are critics of who is playing and how well each dead member plays. I just sit back and "enjoy" all of it. In my world I am just happy to be able to hear the concert(s). I think the discussions of which concert is the best really misses the point. Not everything in life is going to meet ones expectations...whatever that might be. Whether Jerry is "on" that night is not important to me. I just like the music. I am just "grateful" to be able to hear Dead music that was not available to me prior to the release of these and other shows.
    I did go to the movie, last night, with my son and his best friend. They loved it! They got to see the Dead and that is what is important to me.
    To summarize my rant...I can just close my eyes...pick out a show that Dave, and others, have put out over the years...and "enjoy" it. Isn't that really the point of all of this?
    Mr. Pete-------->
    aging hippie

• Daysbetween

I was happy to purchase the box and with no hassle at the checkout. Glad to see more variety with three separate years especially the 91 shows as I rarely listen to the nineties. I mainly play 70’s shows but love all Dead and am grateful for all the music.

• unkle sam

I was going to post an opinion about this box, but I think I will pass, the negativity and hate here has gotten totally out of hand, and this thread just started, I love the Grateful Dead, period. I am sorry that the Dylan set is not included in this box, and I am glad to see Bruce and Vinnie getting the recognition that they so deserve.

• billyschools

Why in the hell can we just only buy the DVD??? I have to endure a bunch of CD's that won't get played?

Please let us buy a DVD only. Please!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html