• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JimInMD

Right on Bob! How could I forget that?

Riveting..

So we already do in fact have a little bit of each incarnation. A very fine year indeed.

• stoltzfus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• hbob1995
    "Garbage" & "Grateful Dead" in the same sentence? WTF!!!!

I have to admit, my mouth is hanging open at the moment. I CANNOT believe what I am reading here.

If you don't like this box, or this line up of the band, don't buy it. Even come on here and explain why. But to come on here and just shit on something that a lot of fans are happy to buy is just plain meanness and stupidity.

I thought everyone here was a fan of the band? Guess that was my naivete. Some are so stuck in their ways and hard headedness that they cannot be open minded. Why put this box down? Don't buy it and that leaves one for somebody who does want it.

C'mon people. We are all Dead Heads here and we are all entitled to our opinions, but why would you attack someone who has a different like then you? I am 66 years old, got on the bus in '72, saw my first show in '73, but I love all 30 years worth of music. The transformation of the band I always found joyous and interesting. I hope that I never grow up to be so closed minded and bitter as some of you out there.

Long live the good old Grateful Dead in all of its incarnations!

Rock on

• stoltzfus

Dave L did look quite dashing, though.

• stoltzfus

We are Deadheads.

Sheesh, y'all. some very grumpy people around here.

for the most part, we are civil.

amazing how a band that has not existed in real time since 1995 can get some so riled up.

if Grateful Dead be the food of my heart, mind, and soul, play on. (thanks to WS)

• boblopes
    re: 2019 releases - don't forget 2/28/69 on vinyl

For those of us asleep at the wheel during the FW69 box and missed out, the 2/28/69 was a nice added bonus this summer too...

• 80sfan
    Default Avatar

Indeed a good year Jim - really something for everybody.

Almost forgot about the Warfield discs. Man, I wore them out when I got them and that was only a few months ago. Time goes by too fast...

• JimInMD

This is what we have this fine year:

2/26/77 Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino CA
    2/2&3/70 Fillmore East, NYNY
    10/9&10/1980 Radio City, NYNY
    12/3/89 Uptown Theatre, Chicago IL
    7/12/87 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (24 track master)
    7/9/89 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (24 track master)
    7/10/89 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (24 track master)
    6/16/91 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (48 track master)
    6/17/89 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (48 track master)

If we get a 68 or 69 for Dave's Picks 32 (and there is a good chance we will) I would say all era's were pretty well covered.

A very good year. 2018, a very good year and a very good box set. If you reflect back to April, 1991 when One from the Vault was released.. we have come a long way and I haven't missed one yet. I seem to have a similar attitude as Mr. Pete. These are good times.

I suggest we find a way to capture some of that misplaced hostility and negativity, stuff it into a pipe and smoke it.

Happy days all, have a great summer.. if you get confused, listen to the music play.

• baconhut
    Default Avatar

I started going to shows in ‘87 when I was 16 years old. Never had I felt so at home with a bunch of freaks that loved the music as much as I did. I would always get lost in the music and danced. Danced like no one was watching and it felt at “home” with a family of like minded spirits that always looked after one another. It made me the man I am today- (as I turn 50! on Aug 12th.....) Truly- “Where does the time go?”
    I was at 3 of the 5 shows on this box set and always felt blessed to be there.....
    We are truly fortunate to have these shows to add to an amazing collection of consistent, clear and downright magical memories and reliving of the good ol’ days when we were fearlessly having the adventure of a lifetime with fellow freaks and the loving, caring fellowship of like minded explorers of happiness.
    You know what I mean ‘cause you were there too......
    Happy Birthday dear Jerry. You and the boys made me who I am today and I am grateful for that. Love is contagious and I done did get my fill.....
    Peace to you all....

• fourwindsblow

"No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature"

Lonely feeling deep inside
    Find a corner where I can hide
    Silent footsteps crowding me
    Sudden darkness but I can see

No sugar tonight in my coffee
    No sugar tonight in my tea
    No sugar to stand beside me
    No sugar to run with me

Dat'n-doo-dow dow-dat'n-doo-dow
    Dat'n-doo-dow dow-dow-dow
    Dat'n-doo-dow dow

In the silence of her mind
    Quiet movements where I can find
    Grabbing for me with her eyes
    Now I'm falling from her skies

No sugar tonight in my coffee
    No sugar tonight in my tea
    No sugar to stand beside me
    No sugar to run with me

Dat'n-doo-dow dow

Jocko says "Yes" and I believe him
    When we talk about the things I say
    She hasn't got the faith or the guts to leave him
    When they're standing in each other's way
    You're tripping back now to places you've been to
    You wonder what you're gonna find
    You know you've been wrong but it won't be long
    Before you leave 'em all far behind

'Cause it's the new mother nature taking over
    It's the new splendid lady come to call
    It's the new mother nature taking over
    She's gettin' us all
    She's gettin' us all

Jocko said "No" when I came back last time
    It's looking like I lost a friend
    No use callin' 'cause the sky is fallin'
    And I'm getting pretty near the end
    A smoke-filled room in a corner basement
    The situation must be right
    A bag of goodies and a bottle of wine
    We're gonna get it on right tonight

She's gettin' us all
    She's gettin' us all

(Lonely feeling) Jocko says "Yes" and I believe him
    (Deep inside) When we talk about the things I say
    (Find a corner) She hasn't got the faith or the guts to leave him
    (Where I can hide) When they're standing in each other's way
    (Silent footsteps) You're tripping back now to places you've been to
    (Crowding me) You wonder what you're gonna find
    (Sudden darkness) You know you've been wrong and it won't be long
    (But I can see) Before you leave 'em all far behind

She's gettin' us all
    She's gettin' us all

Dat'n-doo-dow dow

Dat'n-doo-dow dow

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html