• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

Thanks guys, really enjoyed this one, great sound and a nice change. Hopefully some of the folks who were disappointed about this one “sometime will get shown the light” Really getting a lot of Milage outta this one!
    Well, how to top this......3/24/73 of course! As ol JS would say, ONWARD!

• LedDed

It's hard to beat the consistently stellar versions of "Mr. Charlie," on E72. Punchy and tight with killer guitar solos. Like, back when the Dead were a real rock band.

Don't get me wrong, I like the other stuff, too, but I don't think they ever rocked like E72 again.

\m/

• icecrmcnkd

• stoltzfus

Psalm 100

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord

The GD and music in general is my joyful noise

Hallelujah!

• Oroborous

Agree totally with your post....these tours often have a subtle “flavor” or sound or what not.....
    Dammit Dave, fall 89, bring it!

DaP 32; you’d think there aren’t many non subscription sets even available? So that plus it’s killker spring 73.....yeah, half hour tops!

Kiethfan/atonal; the wife comment was too funny, but true! Lol. Personally, that “noise” is my favorite shit about the Dead and their ability to play that free form Jazz like stuff. No body that I’ve ever heard can do that, AND turn on a dime and rock the #$&**$** out! NOBODY! “ the omnipotent GD”. I say, The weirder the better!.....

• icecrmcnkd

Did them back-to-back last night.
    Just what that Monday night needed.
    Yes, a very nice Dark Star with a perfectly placed Top of the World.
    Then the next night with a smokin’ Other One and a perfectly placed Deal.

Bring on DaP32 and the 2020 Subscription!
    Usually the subscription announcement reveals the first 2 releases to entice those who may be on the fence. Not sure why anyone would be on the fence, the subscription model has been analyzed from all angles and it’s the only approach that makes sense.
    So anyway, my guess is

DaP33 6-14-76 (or 6-29-76, as both are way overdue).
    DaP34 6-10-73 (4 discs)

• KeithFan2112

Under 30 minutes. Prime 1973 with a Dark Star, after a KeithDrought. That's if the website can keep up with the orders wink...

I've been dabbling in Europe '72 / The Other One. Really the Last Frontier for me on Europe 72. I can always get into the verses and the jams around the verses, but I used to get a little lost in the unmelodic arrangements and the cacophony and the atonal........you know what I'm talking about - when the shit just gets noisy. (and your wife says " what is all of this NOISE? There's a good one on May 13th 1972 in France. It's only 28 minutes so they cut out most of that noise. Most of the full length one part versions are the 34 Minute Zone. Pig pen sounds great on the Hammond. Some good Improv of the melodic nature.

And does Loser get any better than Eurppe '72? That is a statement. Or Me and My Uncle for that matter.

• JimInMD

I'm with Deadvikes on this one.

I was just pulling down the setlist from setlists.net, and the first review (not from me) is spot on.
    this show is overlooked...it shouldn't be...it's a beauty. highlights?? ok here are a few...an emotion filled looks like rain...a long and pretty here come's sunshine...sweet playin...and then the entire second set will just melt your mind!! the he's gone>truckin>spanish jam>dark star>sing me back home>sugar mag conclusion is over an hour of some of the finest and tastiest dead music you will ever hear!

-Row Jimmy
    This was one of my favorite shows from the spring tour when I listened to it last. Baltimore, the next show on the tour, was also right up there up there. Great sound, great setlist, great performance. Gotta agree with Row Jimmy, the second set will steal your face right off your head.

..and what's up with the 18 song first set (and 17 songs the next night)? In the later years you would get 7 or 8 songs followed by the infamous Bobby quip "We'll be right back."

This one will disappear.

• DeadVikes

This one will be gone in 30 minutes. Fingers crossed on the sound quality.

• FiveBranch

10/19/89, 10/15/1989, 10/16/1989…. they’ve been on my play list recently while working my way from Hampton to Miami, and all which without official releases have been new to my ears. For shame-- both to me for not listening earlier and to Dead.net for not getting more of these out! Jerry tinkering around with the midi is a bowl full of fun, gives the tour a bit looser, more experimental feel than the more refined Spring ’90. And all of these shows complement each other nicely, a lot of sonic echoing from one to the next. Gives the tour a recognizable ‘sound’, particularly when bookending the tour with two Dark Stars that burst with celestialdelia.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html