• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • KeithFan2112

Aside from Plangent, I thought I remember the liner notes saying they used a (my words) better than normal tape recorder, faster tape speed, etc, so even for Plangent treated two tracks, this run was exceptional.

Speaking if exceptional sound, I'm listening to PNW 1974 middle show. Unreal how good these tapes sound for '74 two-tracks.

Would love to hear the Dick's Picks '74 shows remastered with plangent.

• simonrob

So Wales beat France. Congratulations. Time for another G&T?

• JimInMD

For keeping my honest.

• carlo13

Evil witch, cast her spell, seducing you
    She'll take you to the very depths of hell
    cannot move, no eyes to see, a statue now
    For all eternity Medusa laughs at you
    And you're her slave

Medusa, she's staring at you
    Medusa, with her eyes
    Medusa, oh she's cold

• Vguy72

....R U ready for this?!
    Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
    GOGD - Concertgebouw, Amsterdam 5.10.72
    Black Sabbath - Vol 4
    Black Sabbath - Sabotage
    Hot Tuna - 4.5.19 The Tabernacle, NJ

• DeadVikes

Hey Jim, you are correct, this was the second box set release after FW. Yes, it is two track, however, they used Plangent on this one for the first time and there is a write up about it in the liner notes. Very interesting read on their process. And of course we are talking November 73, so really peak stuff for such a famed year. Still relatively affordable on eBay and Discogs if you don't have it yet.

• JimInMD

Love those shows.. you are spot on Peri.

I absolutely love that box. Really.. its not a box set, it's just three peak GD shows wrapped up in a pretty blue box.

If memory serves, this was the first non Multi-Track box set offered by the GD. I am flying on memory here, which should concern us all, but I think originally box sets were marketed as non-2 Track, not Dick's Picks recordings. Multi-Tracks.

So Winterland 73 was (I think) the first two track box set. Am I right about this??? Anyway.. I think it deserved this special status but man the initial comments about the sound quality were harsh. I thought, and still think, it sounds great and is box set worthy. Those were / are special shows and to my ears, the recordings shine. .. but I would buy them again if they were remastered via the Full Norman / Plangent Process spectacular.

• KeithFan2112

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rJjNB7b07BV3YCe4-5C79yvc5R0jsBsN

Don't be discouraged by the audio on the first track; as usual they're straightening things out. Once they get it in order this is some prime '74. Enjoy.

Peri - The Loose Lucy is the sleeper track to me from that Winterland 1973 set. Even with the slow approach they take to it in '73, this one sounds extra slinky. Those low bassy chords from Keith sound really really fine.

• perithecat

Keith fan your correct, it’s the Winterland 73 box - while I love the PNW box the sound and production of this box is fantastic - well worth the eye watering amount I paid for it on eBay 🙀
    P.S. saw the grateful dudes in London last weekend and while I realise you boys over the pond have dead cover bands coming out of your ears we're a bit bereft here in brexit land - they were fantastic .

• KeithFan2112

Peri I'm terrible at these emoticon charade games, but it sounds like you're saying you are listening to Winterland 73 and playing with some... I'm just terrible at this I'm not even going to try.

Ice cream cone kid I actually don't have the rush R40 Blu-ray. I may grab it at your recommendation. I feel like spending money anyway. Wife has been pissing me off lately.

When I get my act together pretty soon I am going to put up a link to June 30th 1974. I can't believe how good this show sounds. Some tasty stuff on it too.

With regard to the October 1974 run of shows, I thought we posted the songs that were not on the five disc movie soundtrack, along with Steal Your Face, WRS from Beyond Description bonus disc, and Scarlet Begonias from Mars Hotel or Wake of the Flood bonus track; and I thoght " we"decided we weren't really missing too much. Now granted I will buy it anyway especially if it were remixed. I always felt the drums are a little too boomy on the soundtrack.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html