• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • 80sfan
    Default Avatar

happy 30th anniversary to one of my favorite runs - 10/18-10/20 1989 at the (you guessed it) Spectrum!

I used to think we'd never see these shows released, but I truly think there are only a handful of years the dead can really blow out releases from individual years (69, 72, 73, 74, 77, 89, 90) so I'm still holding out hope!

• Charlie3

I realized that I spaced that one in my earlier post, I actually had, and still have, 2112 on vinyl.

• JimInMD

I would love to see them re-release some of the bonus discs. I have them all, but some (many) are as good or better than the source release. I'd love to see more that missed them way back get them.

I guess with respect to bonus discs they should call themselves Really Gone in stead of Real Gone.

• Oroborous

Speaking of fall 71, does anyone know what’s up with the Real Gone/Discogs rerelease?
    They were spitting them out pretty regularly backwards through3.4. 3.3 was released but took a while. 3.2 should of come out by now? I have copies but would like to get the “real” ones to fill in the collection....

• JimInMD

I always liked the flow and groove in Iko better, the jams seemed more fluid as well. Women are Smarter was another one of those songs that seemed to come in the rotation just a touch too much when I was seeing shows.

Just my opinion.

As for Rush, one of the first concerts I saw somewhere between 80 and 82?? It was at the Capital Centre.. Looking over the setlists, my guess is 81 because they played a good bit of 2112. I saw them before the GD.. just once. Every time they came around I tried to see them and failed for a host in hindsight poor and invalid of reasons. Well, at least I got to see them once.

As for the subject matter for Women are Smarter.. yin and yang, without the counter balance of one the other can wreak much havoc.

• KeithFan2112

Got it for Christmas 1982. I was 10. Only knew Tom Sawyer from the year before, and Subdivisions was on the radio a lot. I used to pop on side 1 and listen to Subdivisions and The Analog Kid, then put on Who Are You. By '86 I was all caught up and saw them on the Power Windows Tour (first of many). Signals is one of my favs. Just saw a great bootkeg vid from Montreal night 2 of the Signals tour on youtube. I say great in that it is okay sound with Neil high in the mix and far away grainy video from directly across the stage second level. So you can't make out their faces or anything but it's great because the sound is good enough and it's nostalgic. And you can see Neil work the acoustic drums for the last time before he started to integrate electronic drums into his kit. They to seven out of eight tracks from signals and stuff like the camera eye and Xanadu. And it's just incredible watching Neil work. Not for everyone, but definitely worth checking out a few songs if you're a rush fan. The setlist is un freakin real

Charlie3, as your attorney I advise you pick up 2112 ASAP.

I would also like to see them release 7/25/74 soon, and 6/23/74, so we can have all of the '74 Dark Stars (we have a partial of 6/23 on So Many Roads). But after listening to 6/30/74 last night on soundboard, I say go for it.

Daverock, I listen to that show couple times. Pretty cool listen to Keith play the organ. His first dark stars on Dave's Picks 3. Agree all the way, it's a great time for the band, and a nice show to check out.

• stoltzfus

Perhaps.

But many of them are out of their GAHDAM MINDS.

• daverock

I listened to 10/19/71 again yesterday-it never fails to impress. The first show that Keith played and no less than 6 new songs. The country rock songs rattle along at a fair old pace, and the Other One is the show case jam-unique with Keith on organ. Its not perfect, some of it seems a bit rushed, but there is a real sense that the band has started a new beginning, and knows it.
    Great period, Fall 1971, with many top shows-some of which have been Dave's Picks of course. But not necessarily the best shows.

• alvarhanso

Jockamo was originally written by James "Sugarboy" Crawford in 1953, and the Dixie Cups recorded a song called Iko Iko in 1965 that stole the rhythm and most of the lyrics straight from Jockamo. In 1967, Crawford settled a lawsuit which gave him a cut of royalties on performances, but lost any claim to authorship. Even worse, the Dixie Cups sued somebody 30 years later for claiming authorship, and they established sole authorship, even though they had ripped it off. Man Smart uses a similar rhythm, which Iko/Jockamo is a Cajun beat, and Man Smart uses a Calypso beat, which are very similar and the Bo Diddley beat is pretty close to it as well. Man Smart was written in the 1930s, but became popular in 1956 when Harry Belafonte did it, three years after after Crawford wrote and recorded Jockamo. And the Bo Diddley beat is from 1955, which Buddy Holly stole in 1957 for Not Fade Away (though Norman Petty, Holly's producer stole a writing credit on the song by simply putting his name on it).

Stranger and Shakedown are quite different to me. Feel Like a Stranger is very similar to Fly Like an Eagle though, except for the move to C#m on the second part of the riff.

• Deadheadbrewer

They're the same song . . .

Kind of like Shakedown and Feel Like a Stranger are the same song.

And the women ARE smarter, as I've come to realize . . .

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html