• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Good call Carlo, the Blu-ray is a huge upgrade. You wouldn't be disappointed.

• carlo13

Thanks for the reminder. I just picked up this movie on amazon as we talk. I lost the vhs tape years ago. Plus the 1-1/2 hour extras makes it a no brainer. Just like me.

• DeadVikes

The remastered and expanded Grateful Dead Movie in Blu-ray is one of my favorites and I love the bonus material. There is just something about that opening when they break into the live performance of US Blues and the crowd is going nuts, just love it. Jerry is so thin.
    If I could go back in time I would for sure be hanging out with the guy in the overhauls with the chicklets! 🤠.

And the five disc release is fantastic. If you don't have it, get it. $29 on Amazon and better than other 74 out of production releases.

• JimInMD

I made last months Beer Bong Special Edition cover. Made my mom proud.

• Vguy72

.... although I probably should, but regardless, Bobby Weir made this months Men's Health magazine. Hey Now!!
    https://i.imgur.com/8bRt30l.jpg

• icecrmcnkd

I highly recommend the Rush 40 BluRay Box.

• icecrmcnkd

Movie Soundtrack version (I grouped individual shows together).

I also have the boots but the official version sounds better.

Time to release the entire run (Plangentized) along with all available video on BluRay.
    Next year’s Box Dave!

• Oroborous

What he said! Boo-yah! Come on Dave...tap,tap,tap, (that’s the sound of my foot tapping 😃

• Gratefulhan

These are an absolutely wonderful run of shows with great renditions of many songs. The 10/19 Eyes is my favorite, The China > Rider from 10/17 is ripping and there is monster Playin' clocking in at the 30 min plus mark. However as many have said the 2nd set on 10/18 is the best. Leave it to the Dead to make the 2nd set on 3rd show of a 5 night run to be so epic. It truly is the epicenter of the whole run and it especially represents much of the band's career to that point.

• bob t
    October 16>October 20 1974 Winterland Shows 45th anniv. week

I don't know if we have ever ranked as our favorites on here but here are mine.

10/18/74 Set II out of Phil and Ned, Dark Star and Morning Dew
    10/16/74 Bob's bday plus Playin Phil & Ned into Wharf Rat> Eyes, reverse of 9/11/74 London Jam
    10/19/74 Great first set!!! Uncle John's, Tomorrow is Forever, Sugar Magnolia through Sunshine Daydream
    10/17/74 Keith's piano lid crashing down!!! Awesome He's Gone>Other One>Spanish Jam>MLB Jam>Other One
    10/20/74 Cold Rain & Snow, NFA, return of Good Lovin, Half Step #2 encore

So many good songs... the jams out of Phil & Ned are amazing... Have a good weekend everyone.. Bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html