• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • carlo13

First but not last. Last 5. 1. The canned heat cookbook 2. Donovan-Troubadour 64'-76'. 3. CSNY 1974 tour. 4. Jimi hendrix band of gypsys 5. Wagner- Tristan und isolde.

• Charlie3

...lot of time on the school bus, high as a kite, blasting that album through my Sony Walkman at ear damaging levels. Good times..

• Vguy72

....is my favourite Rush record too! Currently at the Golden Knights game. Go Knights Go!!
    https://youtu.be/zcqPaR3jMHs
    ....two minutes in.

• Charlie3

Keithfan2112, yes, Permanent Waves is a great album from start to finish. I was a casual Rush fan early in high school, early '80's, before getting into the Dead. I had Signals and Moving Pictures on cassette and Exit Stage Left on vinyl, which I still have. Listened to a bit of Yes during that time as well. When I switched to CD's I picked up a Rush greatest hits collection and didn't really listen to a lot of Rush. Actually, Kiethfan2112, it was some of your Rush related posts that got me thinking I ought to start filling in the Rush collection and revisiting Moving Pictures and Exit Stage Left. At this point I have everything from Permanent Waves to Signals. I suspect it's just a matter of time till I pick up most or all of Rush's albums up to Signals, maybe beyond. I always dug Signals.

On a tangent, if you haven't already, check out the movie "I Love You Man" with Paul Rudd and Jason Segal. The movie is not about Rush, but the two main characters are Rush fans. Nothing ground breaking, but it's a pretty funny movie. It amused me anyway.

• KeithFan2112

Great album Charlie3. I think Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures sound exactly the same. Like they could have been a double album.

I had seen Rush on every tour since Power Windows, and at that point in their touring career they didn't really go too deep into their "classic" albums. The tour would consist of 2/3 or more of the album they were supporting, plus all of their radio hits. There would usually be one somewhat deeper cut, like Xanadu or La Villa Strangiato or even the Prelude to Hemispheres (all truncated to some extent).

And then along came the Test for Echo tour, and one of the greatest live rock bands in the world kicked it up a notch, threw away the standard two hour concert plus opening act nobody was interested in, and they started playing two sets with an intermission in between. Total amount of Rush music went up from two hours to two and a half hours, maybe even a little bit more. And the deeper cut started coming out. I had second row seats the first time I saw them on this tour. As if the unexpected full rendition of 2112 to end the first set wasn't enough, they blew us away with Natural Science from permanent waves in the second set. That song hadn't been played since permanent waves came out, around 16 years prior. And there were no live albums with that track. Hope you got to see that one. They began to play it often after that, right up until retirement.

• Vguy72

....yes. i meant Daves's. Corrected.

• JimInMD

Assuming you meant Dave's Picks 5 - 8. Note, no bearded skeletons although there is one skeleton with wings. I think that one slid under the radar.

• Vguy72
    Regarding Hot Tuna's Furthermore cover art....

....that was by Tim Truman, who did the art for Dave's Picks volumes 5-8.

• JimInMD

Ha!! For what it's worth, I really like Furthurmore, honestly my favorite Hot Tuna CD or I wouldn't have brought it up. The first 8 or 9 songs are simply outstanding and it's an off the radar sort of release. Great album art too.. notice the fish on the cover does not have a beard nor a skeleton head.

One other ill-related artwork comment.. I love the CD art on Dave's Picks 32. The real attraction is skeleton is peering into a bright orb of some sort that gives him clarity into the Spectrum. So bright in fact you really cannot tell if the skeleton has a beard or not.. so all the fans of bearded skeletons should be fine with it.. on the other hand, if the skeleton has a beard, you cannot see it. Win/Win.

I don't have Spotify, but doing a quick google search it looks like there's a product called Spotify Downloader that streams to file. I bet lossy though, most of these are. For what it's worth, WinAmp lets you stream lossless to file from the archive. Not that I would ever do that.. All the soundboards circulate pretty freely, you just gotta poke around.

• Charlie3

Last Five
    GD - 2/27/69
    Dire Wolves - Grow Towards The Light
    Rush - Permanent Waves
    Jethro Tull - Stand Up
    Sly and the Family Stone - Stand

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
**🙏❤️💀🌹
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
**July 7, 2020
*** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
1987!”
*** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html